SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

In need of placenta

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » In need of placenta « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may be in need of the placenta from a mare that just foaled. I have a filly that had a severe leg injury and may need skin grafting. I thought I'd be prepared and ask ahead in case I need to go this route.

If anyone on this board or anyone on this board knows someone who's mare is about to foal, I would greatly appreciate if you could save this for me.

Basically, it needs to be pickled and put in the freezer for safe keeping. I'm not exactly sure how to preserve it, but this is what the vet assistant tell me. I know it has to be done within a certain amount of time after the birth. I'd have to find out the particulars if I find someone is interested in helping me.

The vet's assistant is doing skin grafts on her filly and this is what she said she did to preserve it. I would have to get further instruction if I find someone who will have this in the very near future.

I know I'm asking alot, but I would eternally grateful to have this. I would pay for the money involved in doing this for me and getting it to me and for your time and effort.

Thank you very very much!
Marilyn

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh Marilyn, wish I could help! Have you tried nearby vets/schools/ranches to see if they have any for you that you wouldn't have to ship?

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought of that Diana. I will give Purdue University a call. Thank you!

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I've got a mare at 323 days... I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to send it to you. I know my vet has preserved it before. Let me know if you would like us to save it. I would guess she will foal within the next week and a half... but who knows.

My email is secretambitionstables@gmail.com

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll let you know in a few days if I need you to save it. Yippee!!!!! You are a sweetheart!!! The next time I have a foal, I'm saving it, you just never know if you need it.

Thank you!!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be careful Marilyn......with all of your faithful followers, you'll end up with a refrigerator full of placentas!! ahahahahah!!

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hoping to have a placenta next year! EEEK...then I too will save it...it can go in the freezer next to the deer head and 12 pound bass that is over 20 years old LOL.....why hubbies seem to think "one day" they will have it stuffed and mounted....and I think "one day" the freezer is gonna die and this won't be pretty HA HA

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 813
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a placenta garden in my back yard....I had 6 this year and buried then about 10' apart in deep holes....thought I would see if the flower garden grows better,,,,lol

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2454
Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, first off....kim, tell hubby to throw the fish away...as someone very familiar with taxidermy work, I can promise you it's been frozen too long to do a mount! The best you can do is take pics and measurements, have it reproduced and throw the stinky thing out!! haha!!
The deer head....email me if you're looking for a european mount...I love doing them, and they turn out awesome!!
Terry, I too have a placenta garden! haha!! Sick as it seems, I do believe the grass grows greener where they are buried!!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha ha ha You girls are too much!!! lol

I may have found a local amnion donor. The vet assistant said she may have found someone around here that can help us out. The vet assistant already has gone through one and a half placentas. She's been grafting her filly that was caught in fencing for 6 months now. Can you imagine having a filly tied for that long! The filly was only a few months old when the injury happened. Yikes!!!

(Message edited by marilyn_l on July 09, 2009)

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is interested in freezing their amnion, here is the technique discribed by my vet tech.

Actually what one needs is the amnion, which is the thin white part, not the actual red placenta. It needs to be cleaned with water then put in an 18% iodine with distilled water solution,refrigerate, this is to disinfect it. That is when I would ship it in a non leak container. After 24 hrs in the iodine solution, it is put into a 10% white vinegar and distilled water solution for 24 hours then cut into pieces put into freezer bags with some of the solution and frozen. Unless frozen it should stay refrigerated or a s close to cooled as you can.You'll know if it goes bad, smells rotten.

When we do have another foal, I'm going to make sure I preserve this and have it in my freezer. You never know if you'll need it, especially during winter months when you won't have a chance on getting any of this.

I hope this helps all who may be interested.

Samantha, I'll let you know how Zealand looks today and Sunday.

Thank you again for your kindness of contributing your amnion. I haven't heard any more from the vet tech if we can get some here, but when I do, I'll let you know this also.

Marilyn

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks marilyn, this is good information to have....it's one of those things you won't have on hand if you need it! And it's never a bad idea to have these things laying around. As I'm sure you've found, it's hard to find an amniotic sac in a pinch!! LOL

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually this whole thing is facinating! Never heard of it before...sorry that Zealand is going through this but we are all learning stuff. So they use it as a bandage?

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 757
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had told Marilyn this by email, but I thought I'd share the success I know of here for all of you too :-)

We were working with a rescue case for a while. Skin and bones, sores all over his body, really a pathetic site. He also had a wound from about his hock all the way down to his cornet band. We think that he got caught in rope, and was left there. It was absolutly horrifying. Swollen to about 4X the normal size, red, and infected. We treated it for a while to try and clear the infection. Anyways, once we got that under control, we did grafts with the amnion. I didn't see it being done, but the difference in that horse was remarkable. I would have never thought he could live a normal life (lame of course, but at least the wound closed up!).

Good luck Marilyn, keep us posted :-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awesome to hear samantha! thanks for sharing....I certainly will put a few back next year.....my only question is this...how long does it keep? I guess you could just replace your stash every year with fresh ones...

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uggg!!! We had a hard time removing Zealand's bandages and so it bled afterwards. There was a good deal of pus and made the bandages stick. I don't see much improvement in one area, in fact it looks worse to me. One side looks great because it wasn't "put through the meat grinder" like the vet said. The inside of the leg is very ugly yet with some open areas now. So I guess that's the failing part, the vet wss talking about.

Mike forgot to put the big piece of cotton around the leg before wrapping, so I hope this doesn't hurt her. He said he didn't wrap too tightly, so he thinks it'll be fine. Uggg!!!

If anyone would like pictures, just give me your email address and I'll send them to you. I just haven't had time to put them on photobucket yet.

Thanks for all the encouragement and prayers, I need every bit you can send my way!

God bless you all, Marilyn

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn...this does not sound good...when will you find out if you have to do the grafts? I'm so sorry it's not healing well for all involved..how is she holding up?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Marilyn, what a mess!! This reminds me of the time my 2 yr old appaloosa got up on the porch and got tangled up in the hammock. He reared up, and came half way thru the living room window. HE had his leg above the metal window divider and just kept pulling and pulling to try to get out. It was the biggest mess ever...he cut everything on the backside of his knee to the bone by the time I figured out how to get him out of that mess. 7 beach towels full of blood later, the vet got there to sew him up. It was MONTHS of changing bandages that would not stay up *(on a knee) hydro therapy, and misery. Thankfully, we had taught him as a foal how to lay down...b/c he had so much scar tissue he could not bend his leg to have his hooves done. They told me he'd never run barrels....but as a 4 year old, he was almost good as new. It's a long road with some injuries...but don't lose hope....just keep taking care of it the best you can, and it'll be ok.

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, darn... well they always say it gets worse, before it gets better, right? Hang in there, we're all here to support you.

Diana, holy crap!! I can't even imagine the thoughts that must have been going through your head when that happened. YIKES. What an absolute nightmare.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's going to be a long road to recovery here. I sent the pictures to the vet and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I'll let you all know what they say when I get word.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, when you show in hand, do they count against any scarring? That is, if there is any scarring.

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an email from the vet tech after seeing the pictures I emailed her.

This is what she said:

Marilyn,

The fact that most of this is still holding should make you do the Happy Dance! It looks like the stitches are still intact but it is still oozing, keep on antibiotics, if all goes well we will see you on the 20th, bad wound stitches should stay in longer than 2 weeks. I'll leave a whole bottle of Tribrissen for Mike, much more cost effective to purchase by the 500 than 300. With the amount of horses you have I'm surer you'll use it, also Zealand may need to run through another round before this is over.

So I guess we're still in okay shape. Keep the good vibes coming my way, it's working. :-)

Pam

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excellent!! keep up the good work!

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 822
Posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what good news....keep up the good work...everything will be okay...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, my heart goes out to you. I hope Zealand comes through this with flying colors!

Thanks for the info. on placenta preserving. What a resource! How long is it good for, if kept properly?

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for asking Cjskip. This information on saving placenta can help save a horse from permanent injury, so you know I'll be putting this in my freezer when one is available. It last up to 3 years, according to the vet tech. But it's best to replace it each year with new. She said it's obvious if it's bad, it smells rancid.

Zealand is doing much much better. She is no longer tied to the stall as of last Sunday. She is now loose in the stall. Her wound has stopped ozzing and is closing up. I couldn't be more pleased. She may have a small scar, but all and all I'm very happy with the results so far. :-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great news! So glad. Keeping my fingers crossed!

And thanks for the information.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US