SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

2 things I really need help with!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » 2 things I really need help with! « Previous Next »

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off the easy question... Does anyone know of any free website or free download for horse stable designs? I am workig on getting a new place and all I am buying is land but designing on the "paint" progam on my computer is quite hard,lol.

Second question. I have a somewhat jittery yearling filly that I purchased and she is VERY troublesome when it comes to loading and leading. She is halter broke,well kinda. Her previous humans did not have the respect to halter her gently and hen they got it on her they jerked her about like a little rag doll then left the rope on her for a very long time. Had it been a short rope it wouldn't be so bad but she was in wire fencing with a long lead attached to her and could have brokeher nose, Thank God she didnt. Currently I do not have a halter on her as I dont leav them on in the pasture do to there being a big risk of injury or death. I also need some tips on tying... I refuse to snub her to a pipe and leave her til she is worn as some people would recomend. That is just cruel. Any Ideas??

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

something that worked for me to teach a 12 yr old to tie who had never tied in all her life was a combination of using the blocker tie ring so they dont have that solid feel and panic, the other is if the horse knows how to give to pressure to use an inner tube, tie her to the tube around what you are tying her to, it has give and a little pull and helps them to realize to step forward. I do not like to snub them up and let them fight either...
good luck to you!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 941
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, have heard of people keeping an open trailer in a pasture. They let the horse get used to it for a few days, then gradually moving feed (hay or grain) closer and closer and finally in trailer.

I would worry about the type of hitch myself. Wouldn't want a horse to get a hoof caught in the V of one, but if it could be made safe somehow, or were the right kind of trailer, it seems like a good way to go about it.

Once she is well halter broke, and I think that is the key, she can be enticed to be lead on with a bucket of grain. It needs to an open trailer though, so she has room to turn around and exit. Of course, the idea is to load and unload her until she is comfortable with it. I've done this with success with young horses.

Good Luck.

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will she longe on a line? If so, Clinton Anderson has a great method for solving a horse not loading. However, it all pivots around respect which centers around longing

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with using the trailer as a reward. to get them in feed their dinner in there... they learn its not all that bad :-)

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well. I can lead this filly. We call her "Honey" because she is so sweet. As for lounging she wont do it, She has just had so many bad experiances and I dont want to give her any more. I have been rescuing and rehabing horses since I was 8 years old, I am now almost 21, but I have never encountered a horse that looks as good as she does with these kind of "mental problems" Also I dont have the pasture space to put the trailer in with her, it is a 2 horse straight load but the center divider is not in it, I took it out so it would be safer for all the horses.I will try just leading her by the back of it and see what she does. She is really smart because the people I got her from had to use a butt rope on her to lead her and she no-longer needs it so I guess Im making slow progress.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 946
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary, I'm glad you are making progress with leading and bless you for rescuing these poor, beautiful creatures.

I think you could feed near it and then in it, with her on a long lead, or longing line. They just need to be able to turn around and get out safely. As mentioned, Clint Anderson, and also Dennis Reis, uses longing to load. It's amazing to watch the technique.

Good luck with her.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you! I watch all of those training shows but some of the methods wont work with abuse cases due to them being like too spooky to lounge and stuff like that. I brought Honey out and worked with her for about 10 mins. (she needs her fet done badly, I just found "The Right" ferrier who can sedate her if necissary) She did really good we didn't work on te trailer but she showed me how good she is at pivoting! She was being a little show off. I know she has been watching me work with Jack, the foal, and sheis picking up ALOT of what we do just by watching, She pivoted on her rear end AND her front! IM SO PROUD OF HER! She also walked slow somewhat timid circles around me, of course she spooked at the pile of wire by the tack room. I normally dont work in the barn but thats like her safty net type thing. I want her to work wherever she is comfortable doing so at this point and moving on to "scarier" places later. Ill post a video of th methods I am using with my babies in a min.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the 2 videos of "Jack" working...
The 3rd one is just for you guys to laugh at. Both "Annie"(the horse) and myself have been out of barrel racing for about 6 years. this is our first time back out and we messe up BIG TIME! lol. I am still VERY VERY proud of her!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm7MVEX7OI0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOkyFvrmJBM

Barrel Racing Blooper! (Me on my 26 y/o mare "Annie") It takes awhile for me to come out cause they didn't tell me they were ready
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1YZMUj3Sig

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary, it says the videos are set to private, meaning we can't see!! Wahhhh!!!! Can you go in and mark it public? I'd love to see your work!

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 02:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oph sorry I forgot to change it... Im going right now to switch it! again Im sorry!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 951
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very impressive work with the colt! He is beautiful. I presume he is one of "your own?"

I'd love to see the videos of you starting out with him, when he was younger. You could sell these as training videos, in my opinion, but you probably know that all ready.

The barrel racing was fun to watch. Hey, at 26, you gotta give that mare some slack for being a little confused, huh? clipart{smile} Cool video. Thanks for sharing. \

Deb Anderson
Breeding Stock
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary - thank you for posting the video with Jack. You gave me A LOT of great ideas as those are not things I am doing with my filly yet - - but should be:-) Thank you again. love to see more as Jack progresses with training. You have him going GREAT!!!!

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both! These are actually the first videos of Jack that I have. I have only been working with him for a couple of weeks, The only thing I do with them when they are really young is get them used to me being around. This colt makes me look good because he is so smart. He is mine, The only one this year but Im glad because if I had more I couldn't put the time into him.I will post more during his next "session" and I will start posting videos of my yearling too.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US