SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

OVULATION TIMING QUESTION

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » OVULATION TIMING QUESTION « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, obviously, I am at my wits end with this mare,and have come to the conclusion I'm just going silly trying to come up with ideas. Please offer any advice that might help!
I have a mare who foaled on April 11, 2009. She has not come back into heat (outwardly) since she foaled. She is a maiden mare, and came to us completely wild last year. We're able to catch and handle her, but around the vet she's a complete NUT JOB, and there's no possibility yet of having the vet sedate and ultrasound her. There is also NO possibility of giving her shots 19 or 20 days in a row....she's not nearly trusting enough, and I don't want to ruin the work I've put into her to get her as settled as she is. So, here's my question.....I read in the articles portion of this site that ovulation occurs appx every 21 days. How long b/w foaling to the first ovulation then? Is that 21 days as well? I typically put my mares with the stallion about 22 days post foaling...but I have one who breeds on foal heat at around 7 days. So, in order to calculate when this mare may be ovulating, do I count every 21 days since she foaled? Or do they all ovulate 7-10 days post foaling, then count the 21 days? I'm hoping to figure out approximately when her cycle will be, and hopefully tease her intensely, and get her bred....but it's ineffective to try to do this every day of the month. Any advice??
~wits end!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2514
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long b/w foaling to the first ovulation then? Is that 21 days as well?

The average interval to the foal heat ovulation is somewhere between 5 and 15 days.

So, in order to calculate when this mare may be ovulating, do I count every 21 days since she foaled?

You can't reliably use this method unless you know the day of the first ovulation, and even then, it's not going to be that reliable. And remember that if you're out by 72 hours, then the semen is not going to be viable.

There is no need to be "giving her shots 19 or 20 days in a row" even if you were using the full P&E protocol - that is 10 days of injections. A better bet for you though would be to talk to your veterinarian about using the biorelease altrenogest from BET Pharmacy which is a single injection that will produce estrus in about 14 days in the majority of mares regardless of what ovarian activity was present at the time of treatment. Note however that if the mare is lactationally anestrus and has truly shut down ovarian activity, that is not going to work. On top of that, even if she hasn't shut down ovarian activity, but is behaviourally lactational anestrus, even if you induce estrus in her, she's not going to respond to the stallion and you will probably need to AI her or tranquilize the heck out of her to get her bred. Bottom line? You really need to get the mare ultrasounded and evaluated by a capable equine reproductive veterinarian to determine what is going on...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about I bring her to you? Wanna give it a go with a truly crazy mini?? Haha!!?? I was very unable to hold her for my vet to sedate her to try and ultrasound. Of course, it was a farm call and we don't have stocks here. I really don't want her to go unbred though! Is the biorelease an IM shot? May be easier than trying to get the vein on her.....

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to bring her down to us, that's fine! :-)

The biorelease altrenogest is indeed IM. We recommend the pectoral muscles, as there is likely to be a fair amount of localized swelling for a few days, and drainage down from that point (for dissipation) is possible.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, then! I am going to speak to hubby today and see what he wants to do about her. At this point, I think he's as ready as I am to get her bred!! Where can I email you when I get it all figured out!? And Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Contact information is available on our contact page, you can call or e-mail.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 947
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, you'll have to let us know how this goes! I'm staying tuned in for the outcome, after she goes to Jos! And I do wish you the best of luck, of course.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2505
Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, sorry I didnt' update here! I went out of town for 4th of july weekend, figuring I'd call ER when I got back and get an appt set up. Low and behold, when I got home, I saw the mare actually STANDING for the stallion!!! I bred her 3 times, and am waiting to see if she took !

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US