SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

West Nile Virus

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » West Nile Virus « Previous Next »

Kim Vickers (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.86.134.58
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wandering if anyone had any experience with a horse with west nile virus or encephalitis(?). I have a 2 year old mare who vet thinks she has one or the other. Her symptoms are not eating, fever 102, not walking straight, muscles are quivering. She started acting like this yesterday. Called vet this morning and her gave her 4 shots and something up her nose that makes her breath smell rotten. He said she would either be alot better tomorrow or alot worse. Right now she is the same. She is still standing but just hangs head down. He said if she isnt better tomorrow then he could hook her up to IV and give her fluids. I was just hoping for some words of hope.
Thanks

Renee Clover
Neonate
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,
So sorry to hear about your mare. I have never had any experience with this, but sympathise with you.
Please let us know how she goes.
Renee

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Kim, I had a mare two years ago this fall that had the wnv. She was a two year old filly. It was so sad to see her go through it. She went through four days of treatment and we thought she was going to make it as she showed signs of improvement and then the fourth morning she could not get up and passed away before the vet could get here. Day one she appeared lathargic, not wanting to socialize with others , day two more of this and up and down in the field thoughts of it were that it was a beautiful fall day and she was just enjoying the day-- day three called vet out and started treatment. and day four she passed in the early morning.

This is what we learned
bannimine for pain, bute for swelling, and then after talking to another vet, they saw a better success rate with bacially a lethel dose of stariods and started antibotics...

This is not something to mess with., if your vet needs some more information on the treatment above i would be glad to pass my vets name on. They have had some good success with the steriods and antibiotics. It will take a horse quickley. You must use a vet with experience in this or you are running the chance of loosing the animal quickly

Best of luck to you

Kim Vickers (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.86.141.146
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the next day she was worse.she was walking into things,Couldnt get up. We called vet to put her to sleep couldnt stand to watch her go through any more pain.It is a horrible thing to watch. It was the weekend so the vet had no where to send blood to determine but he was pretty it was encyphlitis. Now we will give them shots every year. Is there any other shots that they need besides west nile and encyphlitis? It is scary too because people can get it too. The county south of us test mosquitoes(the only county in our state that does)and the found mosquitoes with encyphlitis.We live in south GA.

Renee Clover
Weanling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,
Sorry to hear of your loss. I think there is still so much to be learnt about these viruses. I am in Australia and we are lucky here, as we dont have the West Nile Virus, but i have read all too much about people in the US that have lost their horses to it..
Sorry again,
Renee

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.196.103.102
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You did the right thing if it was encephalitis, it is fatal. Some horses do recover from WNV, but I have never heard of any recovering from encephalitis.
Very sorry for your loss.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for your loss. (I am recovering from emergency surgury. Had to have my appendix taken out and I am on some pain medication.--- had to edit post , could not spell correctly)

Kim K

(Message edited by kimk on August 08, 2005)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US