SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Advice From All Stallion Owners Needed!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Advice From All Stallion Owners Needed! « Previous Next »

Beth
Breeding Stock
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that I am considering breeding this spring (I live in Australia, so thats another 4/5mths) and she has some tempermental issues, mainly aggression towards other horses, especially strange ones she does not know, and ranging from very bad to impossible to catch, generally impossible, for anyone other than me. She has also never been off my property, except for the float trip 6yrs ago to get her here, so I have no idea how she'd react and/or behave anywhere else.

I am not thinking of sending her to stud in her present state- I aim to work with her over winter. My question to you guys is,
What would be the limit of bad behaviour would you accept from an outside mare? How badly behaved would she have to be before you drew the line on whether you'd accept her or not?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a hard question to answer, as there are so many variables. First off, she might go to someone else's place and act totally different. I breed minis, so I can honestly say, aside from doing my other horses harm, a mares behavior holds very small threat for me. I do know that years ago when I bred big horses, I had a nasty mare (as you describe) that I sent out to get bred every year. The key is to find an understanding breeder with the right stallion. The man who bred our mare got her every year, b/c he was the only one who knew how to deal with her. haha!! I would simply interview stud owners and ask them if they're set up to handle this kind of mare. Even if you do work out whatever problems you have at home with her, doesn't necessarily mean she'll still be fixed when she arrives at the stud. I would think that the breeder would like to be forewarned. Have you considered doing AI? It might be easier for everyone involved....(even the mare)

Beth
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana, I have considered AI and intend to ask my vet about it next time he's out. I admitt I'd feel much better if it turns out that AI is an option, although I think its a bit too expensive for me at the moment. AI doesn't seem to be as widely used here as it is in America, except on big studs. I definatley would interview the stud owners about her temperment. My main concerns are how the people would deal with her behaviour and her injuring another horse then the owners turning around and telling me to pay any vet bills (which is fair enough, but I couldn't afford that!). The stallion who I am considering is a brumby, and stands at the holding property that the owners use for catching brumbies using natural handling methods (which is what I use), so these people would have the experience and facilities to handle her. I'll see if I can get a link to the stallion's page.
Thanks for your advice.

Beth
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the link to the stallions page. The two I am considering are the first two;
Guy Fawkes Checkmate- black and white tobiano
Guy Fawkes Merlin- buckskin
Any help deciding between the two great- they are too beautiful!!! I am leaning towards Merlin, but Checkmate... this is too hard!!!

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have the link? It didn't make the post.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 623
Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would definately suggest AI, though it may be slightly more expensive, it's going to be a cheaper than paying for an injury from LC. I do not do LC, too risky for me, but I do have a little experiance with a difficult mare. One of my mares will tease really really well. When it came time to breed her, my stallion had to get on a horse-sized phantom (he is only 11.3, he's a Welsh stallion). He was very apprehensive as it was both tall and wide. We had the mare there as a tease mare. She was sidelined and sedated, we were going to attempt to collect off of her because the stallion wouldn't ejaculate on the phantom, then inseminate later. BAD idea. Even sedated, the mare tryed to nail my stallion. Won't try that ever again. Normally this mare is a sweatheart, she's fine with other horses, and will come nickering and trotting up to the gate to meet you. I just know that she could never be live covered (yes, she had a great follicle, and was teasing very well to the stallion across the fence). That's definately something to consider. We eventually got him collected off the phantom, and got the mare bred (she had a lovely filly this February :-) ). We now have our own pony sized phantom for him, so we don't have to go through that again.

First off though, why would you want to breed a mare with such a temperment? Have you thought about how she is going to be when she has a foal? Are you going to want the foal to learn those nasty habits? If the horse is agreessive now, think of what she will be like with a foal on the ground.

Beth
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the link- sorry about that
www.guyfawkesheritagehorse.com/stallionsatstud.htm

Samantha, I have had a good long think about her temperment and have decided to anyway, but take a firmer hold on them than my other mare that I bred. Staying in the yards for a long time to start with, every spare second type of handling for both of them, (which would do the mare a world of good frankly) and lots of exposure and manners lessons for the foal. And if a colt then definately a gelding when old enough.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US