SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

PLEASE HELP ME NAME COLT

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » PLEASE HELP ME NAME COLT « Previous Next »

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi dear all!,
I recently bought a one year old colt. He was not named and the inspection is next Monday, so I need a name urgently. He is a son of Voltaire (Hannoverian), so I would like a name that shows that. We are calling him Volterito as a barn name. I thougth about registering him as such, but it kind of implies his is little (Spannish speaking country, we are in Argentina so it would be little Voltaire) and since I am planning on selling him it is not a good idea.
Any suggestions or ideas?.
THANK YOU!!!

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have any pictures? What's his damline?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mariana....oh boy another boy:-) Would love pics :-)

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His dam sire is Sioux de Baugy (Selle Francais).

Yap another boy.... while I have two girls! I guess that is why my husband totally refuses to have these boys geld..

He was Calfu´s (my colt) playmate, here there are baby pictures of them
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/Volterito/verano08043.j pg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/Volterito/verano08046.j pg[/IMG]

and here ones from a couple of month ago when I bought him.
[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/Volterito/voleritoliv.j pg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/Volterito/Imagen006.jpg[/IMG]

He has never ever been handled, and I never dreamed he would end up being mine, otherwise I would have taken -more- care of him. If it wasn´t for the pictures I took of him the day he was born nobody knew his birth date -the previous owner did not told the registry he was born!-. So there is a lot of things for me to do now (farrier, shots, registration, etc).
The inspection is on Monday and, besides not having a name, I am quite worried as to how he is going to behave. He is sweet but still doesn´t feel very confortable around people...

I will get a newer picture of Calfu and him to post, he looks better now.

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohh I bet that boy is going to have a serious jump

Such a shame that his previous owner didn't bother registering him, I mean, he's a Voltaire!

Will definately be thinking of names for him....

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana~What a beautiful trot he has on him! Very flashy :-)

Jennifer Seaman
Neonate
Username: C_j_quarterhorses

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never named a warmblood but here is a try...

Arouet de Voltaire

It is the last part of the great philosopher Voltaire's real name, with his pen name of course.
BTW don't know much about these type of horses but he's real appealing to the eye!

Dee Jay
Yearling
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Jennifer's name. It sounds very French, and very classy.

Jennifer Seaman
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got to thinking (I always like a challenge) seeing as though Voltaire is very popular, that name might be taken I have a few more plus their meanings...

Ambrose de Voltaire - (AM-broz) Means "immortal"
Proper de Voltaire - (pro-SPER) Means "fortunate"
Voltaire Eternel - Means "eternal"

I love playing with names. It may sound silly but for names in other languages I search google for baby names in french or spanish or whatever I'm looking for and then scroll through thousands of names and find something I like. Hope this gives you a choice!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Jennifer, you're really good at this naming thing! All of those are excellent choices. I might have to come to you when it's time to name mine! LOL

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you!!! you are really creative, I really like Arouet Du Voltaire and Voltaire eternel. Somebody here also suggested Virtuoso, do you like it?.
Thank you again,
mariana

Jennifer Seaman
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I've made foal naming an art. I make up names for several people locally. I already have names made up for my foal that will be due in 2010 (and she hasn't been bred yet!) Maybe a little obsessive. Virtuoso is very elegant. If anyone would like me to help them name a foal feel free to ask I don't mind one bit...Jen

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Virtuoso as well, but if it were me, I'd keep Voltaire in his name.

Deb Anderson
Nursing Foal
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jen,

I'd love some help with a foal name!

AQHA

Sire: Red Buck Barcee (Two Eyed Red Buck X Miss Watch Barcee)

Dam: Miss Sassy Obsession (Son Dee Obsession X Miss Mity Mouse)

Her first foal (same breeding) I named Barcees Obsession and we call him "Bob" (B from Barcee and ob from obsession) He is defiinitley a "Bob" :-):-):-) I like to try to tie in the registered name with the barn name.

I had Bob named before I even knew the mare was positively in foal - so this is driving me crazy not to have some names picked out.

The mare (Jessie) is not due till May - so plenty of time.

Thanks for your help.

Deb

Jennifer Seaman
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deb,

AQHA is right up my alley!

Here are some names I came up with...

RedBuckNSassy
Lil Miss Barcee
Watch Me Barcee
MissNRedBuck
Barcee Tenbucktwo

If I can think of anymore I'll post em!...Jen

Jennifer Seaman
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW...I checked AQHA and none of these names are taken as of when I posted them.

Elizabeth Schaeffer
Nursing Foal
Username: Tallthickblonde

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deb, how about Son Dee Barcee? If you went with Red Obsession, you could call it "Rob!"

Mariana, what about Voltairean or Voltairean_______(fill in the blank)?

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Elizabeth, a few days ago I didn´thave a name, now the hard part is going to be to choose one from this great names, Voltairean I like a lot! thank you
Jennifer you are very generous using your talent to help us name these foals.
Deb, you also have some few great names in there ! good luck with your foal.

Deb Anderson
Nursing Foal
Username: Bobs_mom

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the help! I love the names - now to see if it is a filly or colt. I am holding off on the string test, guess I want a surprise :-)

I really like names. I am with you Mariana - - now which to pick from:-)

Jennifer Seaman
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mariana - I try to help when I can.

Your welcome Deb - Hope you find something that fits.

Beth Walker
Yearling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jen, I see you like to play with names and love the names you have come up with, and the offer to help others. HELP!! I have a mare going to foal in April and the names are just terrible to work with any suggestions from an outside source would be appreciated.

Sire: Vividly Clear (Vivid x Tarzannas Trouble)
great grandsire is : Heirloom

Dam: Home Alone Lark(Lieutenant Lark x Great Solo)
great grandsire: Rugged Lark

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like Virtuoso!! V-names are hard, but thats very elegant.

I'm very jealous that you have a direct Voltaire , best of luck with him!

If anybody feels like helping naming mine, I have a couple "L" names picked out, but none for sure, then I need an "R" name, and an "F" name.

Sire: Lord Solomon (Coffee Pot Ludwig/Bimbo)
Dam: Diamonds Are Foreverr (Genesis C/ Dynasty Grand-Dur/ Sur-Grande)
Half Welsh foal. Needs an "L" name. Due anyday now.

Sire: Lord Solomon
Dam: Tesora (Trakehner cross mare)
Half Welsh foal. Needs an "L" name. Due in March.

Sire: Lord Solomon
Dam: Arkansas Susie (by Peponchek)
Half Welsh foal. Needs an "L" name. Due in April.

Sire: Rubino Bellissimo (Rubinstein I/ Bergkristall)
Dam: Roxannah (Royal Appearance/ Grannus)
Oldenburg foal. Needs an "R" name. Due early June.

Sire: Fabuleux (Fabriano/ Augustinus xx)
Dam: Itzy Doll (Idol/ Pilgrim)
Oldenburg foal. Needs an "F" name. Due in July, need a VERY special name for this one, as I have such high hopes

Jennifer Seaman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth,
Here are some names I came up with...They are unisex (I think) so will work with either colt/filly!

Larks Heirloom
Larks Vivid Heirloom
Larks Vivid Heir
Larkin All Alone
Vivid Lark
Clearly Larking

Hope you like these!...Jen

Jennifer Seaman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha,

These were a challenge! I hope you like at least some of them.

Names with L

Lord (or Lady) of Diamonds
Lord (or Lady) Genesis
Lunar Diamonds

Lord (or Lady) Ludwig
Ludwig of Solomon
Lune de Miel (French for "honeymoon", rolls off the tongue nicely).

Names with R

Royal Bellissimo
Ruby Bellissimo
Roxy Bellissimo
Royal Rabbani

Names with F (all french)

Fabuleux Fèlicitè (I really like that one)
Fèlicitè (or without sire name)
Fabienne
Folquet

Jen

Beth Walker
Yearling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jen, Thank you for all the suggestions, they are really good and none that I had thought of! Now comes the problem of choosing the name and luckily as you said they all seem to be Unisex. You are really good at the name game, I may list another one if you don't mind giving up names!!

Jennifer Seaman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Beth - just send em my way. My email is c_j_quarterhorses@earthlink.net - you may get a spam messge just disregard it, I will still get your message...Jen

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana, anxious to know how the inspection goes!
Let us know!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 06:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear all, I have been trying to get this guy to calm down for two months and we were doing quite well. Guess what..? I went half an hour before the inspector because I had to put the halter on. Well... it was not enough.. it took me, a friend and my trainer about 2 hours to cacht him!! after that it all went well. I used Virtuoso, I think it was Voltaire -sire, not philosofer´s- name before they changed it to Voltaire. When the inspector left he sayed "hope that if I came next year for another foal of yours he is better trained!" . He was a nice guy because I have been requesting this inspection for months and he had to come an still wait 2 hours!. Quite embarrasing!.

Samantha, you should not be jealous, I only got him because I felt sorry for him and I plan to sell him ASAP. Your horses have great bloodlines!!! I posted about Calfu, my "baby" who attacked me twice.. I am so frustrated! -. .. so the way things are going for me, "horsey wise", I am very close to give all of them away!!

Thank you all for your help, please let me know how your foalings and naming goes.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh gee...I want help too...I have 5 Spanish foals coming and need spanish names that begin with F, G, E, D, and N.

The mothers are Fabulilla, Galea, Europa , Doctora and Nicola...and i like to honor the dam line.

Terry

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fabulosa and Natalia! (Well, I liked them...LOL)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EMPERATRIZ ...means 'emperess'
EVARISTUS (colt) means 'well, pleasing'
GRACIA, GRACIANA, GRACIELA......mean grace

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nazarena or Nazareno (colt)
Galileo
Florencia

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks...more please!!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, here there are some more

Dulcinea
Dulce (Sweet)
Duna (Meadow)
Dorada or Dorado (colt) (golden)

Gloria
Gloriosa or Glorioso
Gema

Eladia
Elogio (praise)
Elogiosa

I will tell you if I think some more,
mariana

Jennifer Seaman
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana stole all mine!!!!! LOL...Jen

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 292
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jen coming for you... it is a compliment!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 293
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jen coming from you... it is a compliment!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

more:

Nube (cloud) or Nubarrón for a colt
Novia (bride)
Nueva or Nuevo (new)
Ninfa
Noe
Noelia
Navidad

Domingo (Sunday, but also a name)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am keeping a list...keep going....Doctora is first so a D name is first needed

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I could never be of help with names in English and your foals are so beautiful I am glad to be of some use.

Doncella (lady, miss, maiden)
Doña
DALI (The spanish painter, unisex, I like this one)
Damas (the game)
Damasco (city and a fruit)
Danza
Diablilla (little devil)
Dinámica
Diplomática/o (this one is in line with Doctora)
Doblón (an antique gold coin from Spain, foal name, like this one)
Dalia (a flower)
Doctorada (she´s got a doctorate)

this two I don´t really like but you might
Delirante
Dinamita

that is all I can think with D.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just loved your new web page, congratulations!.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 403
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana

I love Dali, Doblon, and Diplo9matica/o

What do you think of Deliciosa for a filly?

Glad you like the website...it is a labor of love

Terry

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like Deliciosa.

Love shows in the page..

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's rainy outside and I'm bored. lol

I need to come up with a name for a Holsteiner filly (if it's a filly, that is). Since it's a German bred horse, I would like the name to be a German type name. It has to begin with a "C" since it will born in 2010 and the fillies all have to have to begin with "C".

I am having some difficulties thinking of a name that reflects strength, proud, grandure... ect... I would love suggestions, if anyone can help me.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2953
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, of course there's Champagne ...which always brings up feelings fo grandeur, celebration, and pride.
then there's Changieren...which means to Shimmer

Charmant- Charming, adoreable,pretty, winsome, suave, debonair...

The problem is.....when translating from German to English...most of their words for strength, start with "s" and most of their words for "proud" start with "p"....they translate very closely to english. So to find a "C" word that implies strength or pride is very difficult LOL

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US