SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

The breeding has started!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » The breeding has started!! « Previous Next »

SUSAN
Yearling
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my mare Spirit and Junior are off to an early start this year... I thought for the longest time she was already bred but then nothing happened. well I've noticed her and my stud playing alot for the past couple of days and today they finally pasture bred with me present just in case something would go wrong, so I guess it was pretty much hand bred, but there together constantly, so I'm sure they've done it more with out me being there. So now if all goes well we'll have a jan. 1st 2010 baby.

Is this early in the year for her to already come in heat? Or is this a transitional phase thing... Oh by the way there miniatures.. I'm located in Missouri where its really really cold here right now..
I've got for sure 2 mares that are due, one in March and then one in April.. I cant wait!!! So keep a lookout for Julie and Bryon. I'll be posting more pics of them Soon...

angel humphries
Weanling
Username: Angel_humphries

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could definitely be a transitional heat...but some of my mares have cycled all year long. Two of them are in heat now. I talked to my vet about it and he said some will do that, especially certain breeds (don't remember what they were, sorry...ours are quarters and it wasn't that).

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 391
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. I have two mares who cycle year-round, then the others don't start cylcling until around March.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a filly in heat...how do I know...the 9 mo colt "noticed" her...needless to say he isn't in the field any more!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 851
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nine months and noticing mare? Good grief. My boy got cut at six months and I worried it was too soon. Perhaps I can lay that concern to rest!

Of course, I highly doubt they are fertile at this age.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 384
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, can someone tell me when my Feb. 24, 2008 colt should be a problem to his momma about breeding. He's together with her and a 23 year old mare who would not take ( she would breed but wouldn't get pg about 3 and 4 years ago). He's shows no signs so far about getting flirty.

angel humphries
Yearling
Username: Angel_humphries

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had some colts that attempt to breed by the time they are a year old, so I usually separate them by then.
Cj, my vet reccomends gelding them around six months to a year if we know we are going to geld them. He thinks its easier on them.

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay colts and fillies both can be sexually mature at nine months. If you have a yearling in with mares they are mature enough to get the job done.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 852
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. Angel. I have heard pros and cons. I worried about physical development being stunted, but he is coming along quite nicely. Moves beautifully.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 853
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susan, congrats on having a head start on your breeding and we will look forward to hearing birth announcements in March and April.

But I am very curious about the mare cycling in such cold weather too. Interesting.

Susan
Yearling

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip,

Its really been cold here. like in the teens and lower. I was just shocked to see him even interested in her with it being soooo cold, let alone her in heat already... My husband was making the comment that he couldn't even believe my stud wanted to perform in this weather but it didnt faze him at all.... lol
As of Today, feb. 18 she's still not in heat so maybe she took... I'm really kinda hoping she didnt as I would rather have a spring baby, but with them bieng together its probably unlikely shes going to wait on me.. lol
I have to have them together right now as I got the two pregnant mares in different turnouts and belive it or not, none of my mares will tolerate eachother and I have to keep them all seperated. I think its just the hormones.. Spirit and Junior are only 4 days apart in age and have been together every since. I think I'm going to be cutting my stud this year as I dont really want to breed anymore. I'm actually keeping the two that are coming and dont need no more... Now if Spirit is in foal for a jan. 2010 baby. I'm going to have to keep that one to.. lol

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 861
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I found out that, apparently, the length of the days are what signals the mare to cycle, not so much the cold. I suppose the amount of actual sunshine would figure in too. There is so much to learn.

I don't think much fazes those studs! Have you thought of selling, rather than cutting him? Will you breed to other stallions, or are you getting out of the breeding altogether?

Susan
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO I'M NOT GOING TO SELL HIM!! HE'S MY BABY, I THINK I'D JUST RATHER NOT BREED. I'VE GOT 3 MARES RIGHT NOW AND THEN MY STUD. I THINK 6 POSSIBLY 7 IS ENOUGH. I'VE GOT 2 THAT ARE DUE SOON AND MAYBE SPIRIT IN JAN. NEXT YEAR. I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF SELLING THE FOALS SO DONT REALLY WANT ANYMORE BABIES... BREEDING AND CARING FOR PREGNANT MARES IS A LOT OF WORK!! MORE THEN I EVER THOUGHT!!!
SO EITHER I'M GONG TO CUT HIM OR JUST KEEP HIM SEPERATED FROM THE MARES... HAVEN'T REALLY MADE UP MY MIND JUST YET..

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US