SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Two questions---wormer and colt goo

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Two questions---wormer and colt goo « Previous Next »

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, I did not give a whole tube of ivermectin paste wormer to 8 month old colt due to weight limitations. I kept it inside since Sept, so not exceptionally cold or hot. Can I give him the remainder of that tube now in Dec. taking into consideraion his current weigh.
Next, Nova, my 9 month old colt has got GOOEY stuff coming from his "pocket" or whatever that's called (sheath). It is black and sticks to his hair. I have tried to get it and pull it off and he doesn't act like he likes that. It's as sticky as tree sap. Is it a problem and how do I clean it off the hair and do I get INTO the sheath if I can to clean it there. The penis doesn't look dirty or crusted there. Sorry this is graphic but you all or the best place to ask my personal questions. I sure miss our close talks and anticipation of last year as we awaited our babies. For all those expecting this year--best wishes and you will LOVE the ride. Raising baby horses is such a wonderful experience... sometimes frustrating but that makes it all the more rewarding when you accomplish it.
One more thing..... I decided to not geld Nova so early....vet and my trainer encouraged me to let him grow naturally and go through puberty as much as possible as long as he was behaving and not acting studdish. What little bit he has done has been corrected with just a little training. He has learned quickly and I have not had to get overly stern. WE ARE DOING GREAT!!! THe more you do with him, the better he gets and the easier he learns other things.

judy cervantes
Neonate
Username: Coloredpony

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay nice to hear from you again,these boys sure are getting big before we now it they will be having there first birthday,its been so much fun.Sorry i dont have an answer for you but i just wanted to say HI.When do you think you will be gelding nova??Chenoa is acting good also and my vet said around 1 yr woulf be good.What kind of things have you been working on with him??

Katherine Kehamas Wind Dancer Due Jan
Yearling
Username: Soarsamongstars

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the black stuff you refer to is called smegma... its why sheathes need to be cleaned otherwise the horse develops 'beans' dont panic what he has is natural!!!

cleaning and ways to clean are often debatable some cleaners can have irritants that offer swelling, with me I go a more natural route I use mineral oil and warm water!!! it helps lubricate and it breaks down the smegma in the sheath then you can either rinse it or leave it without worry where as cleaners need to be rinsed and some horses despise it (My males go either way) you can clean in the sheath and around the opening, usually the key is reaching up and relaxing the horse until he 'extends' hisself then cleaning there, but with mineral oil you can go into the sheath and gently lube leave for a short brief period and then wipe out to clear it! they have sheath cleaners on the market and some will use soap but I worry about not getting it all and keep to a more natural means that I know wont irritate Hope this helps

as for wormer its fine, usually when I worm a young Horse I will give a partial dose wait a week and then distribute the rest (Of course so long as the wormer is safe for youngins!) you should be fine so long as the wormer has not been exposed to high degrees of heat your alright

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay! So glad that you and Nova are doing so well!!! Katherine is exactly on spot about the sheath cleaning...I agree with her. But I strongly urge you to really work with Nova now on handling his manhood :-) With my young colt I would start my placing my hand there till he would settle down then remove it when he would stand still and just increase the time spent till he did not mind me handling him there. Much like anything else desensitizing him because it is a lifelong maintenance thing :-) Also when I had his teeth done at 2 my vet tranquillized him and that was an excellent time to do a really deep cleaning. Again I am so glad he is doing so well. How is your personal riding going? I know you were getting back into the saddle again :-)

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all, sorry I didn't respond sooner. You all were sooo quick to respond to my questions. Your advice on the wormer and sheath cleaning is EXCELLENT!! I will work on that this week. We have not been training near as often as in the beginning but the sheath desensitizing sounds like a good step. I may wait till spring to geld. Since hosing is recommended I wanted it to be warmer. We have been working on NOT pushing to feed bucket. continueing leading away from rest of horses and walking alone without getting herd sour or concerned. We practice getting in the trailor, but haven't worked on backing out. We also have put on a bareback pad and girthed it and walked around a bit. We also practice occasionally standing tied for aabout an hour. He stands tied every day twice a day to wait for me to fill feed buckets. And Jan my trainer came last week and I actually LOPED around the arena several times and got to feeling somewhat comfortable and acually cocky. IT FELT SOOOO GOOD. Kind of like conquering a fear. But I have to admit, as soon as I get off and she leaves , I'm somewhat nervous to try again. The older horses have been doing great, no attempt to balk or bolt, just memories of when one of them did several years ago. My horse club is encouraging me to go on some trail rides away from my place. I want to do it so bad but still nervous. My trainer is wonderful with me and the horses, calm, disciplined, encouraging, an answer to try for all my questions and concerns. Thanks for asking everyone. Glad to hear from all of you.

Beth
Breeding Stock
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys, I just want to say that I usually geld my colts when they are betweent 18mths and 2yrs. I live in Australia, where it is really dry, so its better for them to use those hormones to help them grow properly as well as suppliment feeding otherwise is quite possible that they could be prematurely stunted. We just keep them seperate from the girls. Of course if they start playing up like colts will to early then its closer to the 18mth mark and since there's no point have the vet out to cut one then come back in a few months to do the others, when one gets done they all do.

Beth
Breeding Stock
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Kay Congrats on your riding progress!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay~Excellent! Good for you...just keep building on your confidence and you will be going down the trail in no time...Congrats!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US