SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Clicking noise

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Clicking noise « Previous Next »

judy cervantes
Neonate
Username: Coloredpony

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,I havent been on for awhile but i have a question i thought you guys could help me with,My 8 month old colt chenoa has a clicking sound when he walks,he started this a few weeks ago,it doesnt seem to bother him he still run,bucks and plays,can anyone tell me what this is or what i should do about it??THANKS.

Cheyenne Queen
Breeding Stock
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

could it be his joints? my gelding's joints click when he walks but he's 15 years old i just give him some cetyl m and it stops. It doesn't seem to bother him.

judy cervantes
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheyenne,yes i think it is his joints but he is only 8 months old,what is cetyl m and can he take it??Thanks..

Cheyenne Queen
Breeding Stock
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cetly m is a supplement joint formula for dogs and horses that my vet told me to pick up that is non prescription you just add it to their feed

Cetyl myristoleate is a unique esterified fatty acid that has been shown to have dramatic and positive effects on injured, arthritic and healthy joints. Cetyl myristoleate is derived from myristoleic acid, which occurs naturally in the African kombo nut (wild nutmeg), whale fat and beef tallow. Advanced Cetyl MŽ Joint Action Formula for Horses is the only equine joint health product that uses 100% plant-based cetyl myristoleate. Advanced Cetyl MŽ Joint Action Formula for Dogs uses a unique combination of cetyl myristoleate from both plant and animal sources.

here is a link
http://www.cetylm.com/content/horses.asp

Beth
Breeding Stock
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy, where is the clicking sound coming from? I mean which joints? And does either or both his parents have or did have the same problem?
We have two horses half brother and sister to each other, through their sire, and they both have stifles that make clicking noises sometimes and they are 3yrs and 6yrs. It doesn't affect them in anyway. It could also be a nutrient related problem.

judy cervantes
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beth,I think its from the fetlock joint and or the pastern joint.No neither of his parents have this.This doesnt seem to bother him either,but it bothers me when i have to hear it.I give him strategy and a timithy orchard grass mix,Maybe you are right i guess it could be nuttrient related,i will ask my vet.

paula mcrae
Neonate
Username: Paulamc

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had this problem in an 8 month old colt, coming from the back fetlock area
A vet told me this meant a lack of the mineral boron, if you can get some boracic acid or find it another way, and add it to the feed , it fixed the problem for me

paulamc

Vanessa Pierce
Breeding Stock
Username: Starr

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My colt made that same clicking noise at 8 months. I thought that he was getting too much grain. I was only feeding 2 pounds a day of it to him. So I stopped all grain and the clicking stopped. So now he only gets one cup every so often, only because he is now out to pasture.

Allison
Breeding Stock
Username: Jumbletwist

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, I was just on Horsecity.com asking the same question about my 13 yr. old mare I have up for sale. Again, never bothers her a bit. It has only been brought to my attention because of potential buyers and the "funny" look I get when asked about it... like I am hiding something. This is the horse I would pick if I had to go to war.. she has always been an easy doer and very sound. I will post in a few what I have been told. I have also heard somewhere different that it can be caused by a mineral deficiency. Anyhow, good luck!

Allison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 261
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

paulamc, what did you end up supplementing with? I want some!!

Allison
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Copied: The noise you hear is little bubbles in the joint fluid popping. Kind of the same thing as cracking your knuckles. I have a good old mare that has done that for years. Only at the walk, as you say. Some will do it for a while, then it stops.

THE OTHERS JUST MENTIONED IT ISN'T ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AND IT DOESN'T CAUSE LAMENESS. ONE SUGGESTED TO GIVE ADEQUAN INJECTIONS (BUT THAT'S EXPENSIVE!)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US