SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Blossom's Thread

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Blossom's Thread « Previous Next »

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 866
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew...you my friends, have overwhelmed with your kindness. (And I was hanging on to my emotions so well, until now.)

I am humbled.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bobbi, any news yet?
hope all is well

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are still rooting for you and Blossom

Diane Loveday
Weanling
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to send my prayers your way, I am sure this is a heart breaking time.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sending good vibes your way :-)

Hope everything turns out okay.

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby, I'm praying everything goes alright for you and Blossom.

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to let you know your in my thoughts and prayers

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi~Still thinking of you and Blossom...

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all and I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. There's nothing like a great bunch of horse friends who have had their own share of tragedy at one point or another, who can wrap their emotions around you and its a great virtual hug I'm feeling now.

I'll try to put this picture somewhat together but I feel like my head has this buzzing noise (possibly brain cells short circuiting, lack of sleep, or overload of emotions, or a combination thereof). I had my entire family with me last night, including one of my daughter's who lives in Kansas City via a cell phone conference call. If that isn't enough testiment to this particular horse and the love for her, I don't know what is. My poor vet in his attempt to walk her and analyze her progress, or lack there of, was hindered by the "crowd" of people and it was a bit of a challenge for him to "part the Red Sea" of my family. Sorry, I felt the need to blab off some of this emotion.

So, it brings me to where we are and I don't know that I really know yet where we are and I apologize that it will sound somewhat scattered. Blossom is still with us at this point. She is enjoying some really good drugs for the next 3 to 4 days and is at least eating and drinking since I put the GiMooseraffe back in with her. Good news is, she has dried up well and is thrilled to be back with baby, as is baby with mom, and she is not letting him nurse so hopefully, I didn't screw that up by putting them together.

Here's how it all started: A week ago Sunday, I went out in the afternoon to check udders on Blossom & Echo and noticed that she was favoring her right front leg just a bit. Nothing alarming; like a stone bruise type of thing. I cleaned and checked her hoofs and found nothing. I pressure checked her hoof and got no response. She is prone to getting hoof abcesses so I wasn't concerned. By Monday morning, she was lame. Again, nothing obvious in the hoof, no swelling anywhere on the leg, no heat anywhere, had flexion in the leg. By Tuesday, she acted like it was in the ankle joint because when I would bend the hoof upwards to check it, that would be when she would meet with some resistance. So, I thought, hmmmm...is this an abcess in the hoof or is it a pulled muscle, tendon? Not sure...so by Wednesday I treated both. I packed her hoof with epsom salt poultice and vet wrapped it. I did a total thermal liniment treatment from the hoof up to the shoulder and put her in a quilt and track wrap. Vet came out Thursday because she was starting to run just a little fever and at that point was sweating while standing. She stopped eating (and remember...she was only on good pasture and no grain due to the weaning process) and we weren't sure if that was from the low grade fever, some discomfort, possible depression because she couldn't hobble around and keep up with her mare mate, an abcess that could still exist and is now blowing into an infection...didn't know. So, we took some field x-rays (which are never as good), checked flexion again, pressure checked the hoof, dug out the hoof looking for an abcess and signs of hoof wall softness/breakdown...came up with nothing that just jumped out and grabbed us. Her discomfort sensitivity shifted so she was not helping us out. She would "fall asleep" during the exam process and wasn't reacting to anthing we did to her. I think there was a point where we actually had her leg straight forward and over her head...nothing. So, we put her on some antibiotics, gave her a daily dose of electolytes (to help out her dehydration) and a daily dose of concentrated vitamin/mineral paste to try and boost her appetite.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post continued:

She went downhill over the weekend. By Sunday evening, no amount of TNT was going to get her to take a step. She had moved herself to a shady section of trees and by goodness, she was not going to go anywhere. Vet call again. Now, before anyone asks...why was she not stalled? Because she is a cribber. When she is "normal" and stalled...she will crib herself all day long, yes...even with the miracle collar and chew stop and treated lumber and...resulting in the "I'd rather crib because it feels good than eat" syndrome; too risky a move with an already suppressed appetite. A complication that we didn't need at that point. With no "obvious" fractures and no obvious tendon/muscle issue, we took the approach that we would rather have her out. Back to Sunday...she was in pretty rough shape. So with the help of a sling and our trackhoe, we moved her to the round pen. Its great to have a bombproof horse! We put her on IV's and gave her drugs, took some more x-rays, took her off the antibiotics (just in case we were suppressing a possible abcess), stuck some more gobbilty gook in her to stimulate her appetite, put a pressure cast on her lower leg/ankle area and basically stood there like a bunch of uneducated idiots wondering what in the world we were treating. Its the standing there looking at this poor emaciated horse (and my vets say she's not that bad...but she looks horrific to me) and no one saying a word that hangs over your head like a bad omen. The only thing left that I felt I could do for her was to give her baby back to her for comfort and companionship.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 869
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Continued:

Monday evening vet call: She ate some of her hay today and drank water; a good note in an otherwise still nasty picture. Having the Moose back with her has worked out well so far. She won’t let him nurse (yippee) but she loves him standing crossways of her chest so she can rest her head on him. (He loves snuggling with his mommy as well! Even if she isn’t coughing up the milk jug.) Dr Chris says, “Let’s start her back up on some grain really slowly so we don’t, hopefully, start producing udder development. But, now that she’s getting some food down, lets give her as much nutrition as possible.” We ran some more IV’s down her last night. After Dr Ben, Dr Chris and Dr Amber consulted last night, we have drawn the following conclusion.

She has what appears to be a stress fracture in the knee. Although there is not any obvious swelling or heat in the knee, there is some fluid buildup in the joint. So much for the pressure cast on the lower leg idea. What is odd about it is that it doesn’t appear to be creating a huge pain/flexion issue for her upon manipulation so they’re still a bit baffled on what the issue is with her at least putting some weight on the leg. She stands with her leg extended out in front and curls the lower joint so that she rests the leg on the toe of her hoof. When she is walked, she will take a few short steps with the leg, without even a sign of a limp, and then she will take just a little bigger step and it drops her. Vet clinic is contacting University of Illinois & University of Missouri today. As they say, equine orthopedics surgery to this extreme is way out of their league. So with the help of a lot of really good drugs…she is at least comfortable during this waiting period. Problem number two…need I even have to say it…is the laminitis issue. I have a few days to sit and digest it all, see what options may be available, and attempt to make a decision. Friday is the next visit from the vets and we’ll know more then once the universities come back with options and/or a game plan.

I don’t know, you’d think I had this million dollar stakes winning mare here…lol! Goes to show you that even the losers find a place in someone’s heart.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby, thank you for explaining this all for us. I know how perplexed you must be and how hard it must be to make the difficult decisions your trying to make. I wish you and Blossom much luck and I'm sending many prayers your way. God bless you and may God protect your Blossom.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 875
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: Sorry, you know me. Can't get to the point without explaining how I got where I am. I've been watching your thread as well. Wishing you much success in getting the new pasture mate. Goodness girl but you've got the kind of luck I do. My love and thoughts are with you as well.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 876
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi's stupid question of the day:

I have absolutely no idea "why" it is that I am giving Blossom her Banamine by iv versus a muscular injection. She's getting her Bute by paste but wouldn't the Banamine last longer in her system by muscular injection versus the iv method? One of those stupid questions I now have as a result of the "day after" the vet leaves syndrome. I just stood there like a big dope last night shaking my head up and down as he was putting drugs in my hand and giving me dosing instructions.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi~WOW....What a heart ache...Know that you and Blossom and her extended family are lifted up in thoughts and prayers....hoping for a miracle for you!

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 805
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I had no idea all this was going on. You and Blossom are in my prayers.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby your still in my prayers and so is blossom I think your ruight it works faster by iv but last longer by injection however at this point you may have to worry about infection at the injection site also wouldnt want to get her needle shy unless you have to

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Bobbi I had a hard time reading your post yesterday and then almost couldn’t bring myself to read today. I think everything you have done for this horse to make her comfortable is just wonderful.

I agree with Jenni that by IV it works faster. Also if you have to stick her everyday it would make for one sore horse. Is it a one injection or a slow drip?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 879
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a slow drip. However, Dr. Amber came by an hour ago and took her off the IV. Wanted to let her walk a little and get her off of standing in the same place. She still wants me to give her the Banamine in the ole neck vein though tonight then switch her to muscular tomorrow morning. Poor girl, she really is just feeling crappy with a "I don't care what you do to me attitude." Which, at this point, is a good thing.

I don't know that I've ever given much of her info but just because she's deserving of the honorable mention:

Here's a link to her pedigree:

"Call At Night" a/k/a Orange Blossom a/k/a "Blossom"

http://www.pedigreequery.com/call+at+night

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 880
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry...lol...just have to add:

a/k/a the great GiMooseraffe's Mom!

Her racing career:

2004 2 Year Old- 5 Starts, 2 3rd Places
2005 3 Year Old- 8 Starts, 1 1st Place, 1 2nd Place

I bought her on June 25th, 2005 as a three year old, she was already registered to race on July 1st, 2005. This was the day she broke her maiden with her first (and final) win. I paid $1,000 for her, she won me $2,520 that day. How's that for "paying for yourself" in a week's time?

You know that horse that you see running about 1/4 mile behind the pack of race horses thundering down the track??? Ahhhh, that'd be her.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi she has some goods ones in her pedigree. I could have bought a Seatle Slew mare for 200$ a cpl of months ago at times I regret not doing so. She won your heart thats the only race that counts!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, how's your girl tonight?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 802
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, thank-you for the update. Sounds like you did as much or more than most of us would do. We can't always know right of hand, what is wrong. Even doctors look for horses, before they look for zebras.

Isn't Blossom the mare you saved when she was born? Sorry if I got my mares mixed up.

I do wish you and Blossom the best. I just love her name! I'm delighted that she and GiMooseraffe are together again, but sorry you and she, have to go through this. My thoughts are with you.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I'm also wishing you continued well wishes for her recovery.

She's an awesome bred mare. I pray she makes it...

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 892
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Yes, she is the mare that I held in the bathtub when she was born (heck, I didn't own her then). My 17 year-old has a spiritual bond with this one...only horse on the place that he whole-heartedly trusts. He's spending time with his dad (I'm remarried)...he's not coping well with this. My oldest daughter happened to walk her all night as a yearling when she had colic and she has an equally strong affinity for this mare; she's not coping well either. It just plain sucks!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 893
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wednesday Update: All is not well. We have developed a fever. Despite the drugs, she is not getting much relief. I took her out for a bit this morning and she felt some relief laying down in the field with Moose. Waiting on that call from the vets. I believe the options available have diminished as I don't think she has the strength to make a long trailer ride to either university, much less go through any type of surgery and have a chance at recovery. I'll keep you all posted. In the meantime, I posted some pics I took this morning. She's pretty rough but felt the need to capture the gift she has given me, as well as, her contentment in having the kids back with her.

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/Call%20At%20Night/?action=vi ew&current=0a0a62f8.pbw

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That pic with her laying beside the babies is so sweet...what a beautiful mare.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so sad, I'm having a very hard time with this... I know what you're going through Bobbi. This doesn't make it easier, but I do feel your pain.

Thank you for the pictures.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 896
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you do Marilyn. Big hug to you as well. I KNOW this is just as difficult for you to watch.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 899
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another friend (my veterinarian I used to work for years ago) just called to check on me. Like Tim, he felt I needed a reminder from the past. So below you will see the email I recently received. This hung on our wall in the treatment/surgical area to remind us all on our obligation to be the stewards to these creatures.

TEN COMMANDMENTS OF PET OWNERSHIP

1. My life is likely to average 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. And I, in turn, will trust in you.
4. Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I, have only you.
5. Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me and it comforts me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I have the potential to hurt you and yet I choose not to.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, I have hidden pains, or my heart may be getting old or weak.
9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
10. And finally, on that ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Don’t say that you cannot bear to watch. Don’t make me face this alone. Everything is easier to me if you are there, and as I take my final breath, remember, I have loved you so!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi....Very very true...I had to put down my 30 year old gelding on August 27 and I was with him the whole time...my very kind vet asked me several times if I would rather wait elsewhere and I remained with him because he had been a loved friend and was calm because I was there. I would not deny him that in his last moments. I do not regret all the companions through the years that when the time has come to help them I have chosen to be there...that is one regret I do not have. Bobbi you have been through the ringer this week. Don't forget to take care of you too.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi that is a very true email. I know it dont make it easier but we all feel for you and Blossom both and we know you are doing all that is humanly possible to help her. God Bless you and her both there is a special spot in heaven for ppl like you!!!

(Message edited by bugrace2000 on October 08, 2008)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 904
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday afternoon we took Blossom in to the hospital. My vets had consulted with the university and although they agreed that it appeared to be a possible stress fracture on the knee, they didn't feel that it was that severe nor would it require some type of invasive surgery. The fact that she was running such a high fever and not eating/drinking was the result of possibly something else going on as well. They recommended that we bring into the ICU and do some more extensive testing on her. With all the complications she was experiencing, when we got her there, they recommended to me that I go ahead and sign a euthanizia form with the idea that they would do everything they could for her but she was just so sick that they didn't know if we could get her turned around. The only thing I asked of them was to try everything they could (nothing like a blank check) and that if they decided that it was best to stop that they call me so that I could come down to be with her.

I got a phone call at 4:00AM this morning from Dr Amber asking that I come down as soon as possible. I threw on some clothes and bawled like a baby all the way there. They met me at the back surgical entrance. Dr Chris and her put their arms around me and we walked to the padded recovery room they had her in. Threw open the door and there she was. She let out the most gutteral loud screaming whinny I've ever heard from her. I just was beside myself in tears. They laughed and said, "Stop your crying and calm your damn horse down she's been doing great since about 2:30AM this morning and she's got a fire under her like she's ready to start a race."

Under the advice of the university consult, they explored a possible infection in the knee joint that was escalating the injury, as well as, making her deathly ill. They had pumped immense amount of fluids in her, drained fluid from the knee, put her on some pretty aggressive iv antibiotics, kept her cool to break the fever...and, as they say, unbelievably brought this horse around in a remarkable time. They humbly said that we can attribute it to something beyond medical treatment. The reality is that she shouldn't have turned around this fast!

Personally, I believe it was all of you and your thoughts and prayers!

I am happy to report that she is eating everything in sight, standing on all four legs and has the energy of a fresh horse. She's still on iv's and is still staying in the padded recovery room versus a stall. They are putting her in a knee support today and if all is still looking good, she can go home tomorrow. She will have a long recovery period and will be restricted for about 10-12 weeks on activity so that we don't blow something out again or aggravate it back up. Dr Rothelsberger (how's that for a mouth full) recommends that we not re-breed her until spring next year so that we don't compound the injury with added weight.

They warned me that we are not out of the woods yet and that secondary complications could set back in but they have her listed in "Good But Guarded" condition.

I am elated! I am thrilled! I am very, very lucky!

And I would swear to you that she gained 100 pounds overnight. Amazing how just getting rehydrated can fill a horse out.

We're going to haul the Moose down today so that she has a calm companion.

I thank all of you for your support through this! I can't say enough in gratitude.

Here's a toast to good fortune for a change! My husband has a big hole he needs to fill back up tonight.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I am so happy!!!!!!! That is wonderful news!!!! I was crying just reading your message. Prayers that she continues to heal. ((((((((HUGS)))))))))

Emily

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 907
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ME TOO, ME TOO, ME TOO! Thanks Emily! I'm personally blown away...I would never, ever had thought this in a million years. Been around a long time and I can't remember a single time that I've had one this far gone to turn around in like, what, hours?!?! I am just stunned still.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL RIGHT BOBBI! This is the kind of news that just makes a persons day. Thank you for the privilege of praying for Blossom and sharing the difficult times and the joyous times. Continued healing thoughts your way but for this moment relishing the joy!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, that's great, i'm so happy for you. I hope she continues to progress nicely!

Jane Whritenour
Weanling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hurrah!! I am glad that the prayer hotline has done some good. I will continue to keep both you and blossom in my prayers.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so happy for you and Blossom will keep you both in my prayers for continued healing and blessings to pay that blank check!! Give her a hug from all of us!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 810
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Bobbi! This post brought tears to my eyes (as did the one about Moose being put in with Blossom for comfort)! What a story. My gosh-somehow all your tragedies end up turning into GREAT stories! But so sorry you've had to go through any of it!! HURRAH!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear she is better. It was a good catch on the hospital's part! Yeah!!!

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi I am so happy for you. When I started reading your post I started crying not wanting to finish thinking the worst. My vet bills have been in the thousands this past year between horses and dogs ( 1 dog rattle snake bit 2x two weeks apart) But how do you say no thats to many $$$ to the ones we love

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yippee!!! I'm so happy for you Bobbi!!! I am so excited she came through for you. I'll continue to pray for her complete recovery. Yea!!!!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi I am so happy that she is on the road to recovery. Those photos made me cry, she looks so simaler to Swan. Big Chestnut TB with that very kind eye.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 908
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all! It REALLY is because of ALL of your thoughts and prayers. The vets are equally stunned and as Dr Chris said to me this morning...we were giving her until early this morning and then we were quitting with her. I have thanked all of the vets that treated her and consulted long distance with us but none of them are taking any credit for it. They were just "stabbing in the dark" with her and they're not real sure how she got this much better this fast. I just got back from seeing her (can't stand it now...I'd camp there...*giggle*...told them I'd stay with her through the night tonight and give poor vet tech Karen a break...she'll do better with me there anyway.)and taking the GiMooseraffe to her. He's so happy to have his mommy back, the trailer ride was a nightmare for him by himself, was a bit worried that I'd end up with a broken baby by the time I got there.

She is just soooo perky! I haven't seen her like that since before she was in the massive prego stage last year. She is just eating like there is no tomorrow. She's a bit impatient with having to stand in one place now that she feels better but she's got two lines of iv's still in her. She's got just a little bit of heat in the other front hoof from having to stand primarily on it for several weeks now but so far...no signs of any laminitis. They're going to check the pressure on that knee this afternoon and see if they need to pull some more fluid off. They'll be doing another set of x-rays and consult again with the university.

If all goes well through the evening and night, she gets to go home tomorrow. I've got to pull in my round pen though because they don't want her to have that much "rompin' room" for a bit. They will come out on a daily basis with her and monitor from there for about a week. Then we can go to a once a week visit until we're all comfortable that we made it over the hump.

The bill...well, what can I say. Its only money and you can't take it with you. LOL! Not that I could have ever afforded a major surgical repair and all the other complications on top of that. But the bill right now isn't anything that selling a few yearling calves won't fix.

My kids are just elated as well! Couldn't be any happier.

My husband (who really is super elated even though he won't admit he loves this mare as much as we all know he does) was last seen grumbling something about having to work this evening to fill a hole back in that he spent last evening digging out before someone accidently gets in there and then we have a broken neck to deal with...and something else about stupid, silly, thoroughbreds and not having another one on the place...LOL!

And again, I can't thank you all enough. It really has been a group effort to pull this one out!

Cj: Awwww...I only wish that all my stories had happy endings. I've had to let go of way too many of these guys in my lifetime and I hate every minute of it. This is only my second major issue in horse lifetime that it has turned out positive. I battled my Joey horse's Lipoma for many, many months. I have to say, I kept him too long trying desperately to save him, I still kick myself that I put him through a lot before I was ready to let him go and he suffered. I never want to ever do that again but I never want to give up too early...sometimes that line isn't so easy to see. I just got lucky this time. Nothing more than a good roll of the dice.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 909
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cj: Soooo...fellow goofball foal owner...has your boy gotten over his "goober foal" syndrome...because mine hasn't...hahaha

The Day Moose Was Born:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/Slew%20City%20Warrior/Haleys Camera2050.jpg

Moose at Six Months...uhhhh...still the same:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/Slew%20City%20Warrior/HorseP ictures046.jpg

How pitiful is that?!?!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 910
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tahra: I can't help myself when it comes to those big brown TB eyes...they get me every time!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi love the pics thats funny that you got him in the same position twice lol

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 911
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni: Its his favorite position! HAHAHA! And when he's sleeping, you CAN'T get him to get up. I have pulled on his halter till I'm blue in the face, I have jumped up and down and screamed at him, I have straddled his big belly and sat on him...nothing...he'll just raise his head and blink his eyes and lay back down. Geeeezzzzz...another back of the packer on the racetrack...LOL! (It's that whole lack of oxygen to the brain thing at birth...poor chap doesn't stand a chance!)

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol maybe thats what happened to my appy poor boy acts like hes dieing when hes down my boxer chewing his butt wont even get him up lazy lazy boys lol

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 913
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Want another good laugh...guess which foal of Bobbi's is the spoiled brat? She wants ALL the attention ALL of the time and if she does not feel that she has gotten all the love that she deserves from you at that moment, this is what you get:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/Tri%20Wizards%20Silver%20Gob let/GrouchyTaya.jpg

She's such a witch! But amusing to say the least. She was bugging me to death this morning when I was trying to get the GiMooseraffe loaded up. I kept ignoring her with those precious little pinned back ears and she slowly turns and humps her butt up to me like she's going to plow me...it was like a hush went over the horse crowd and you could hear them say, "Whoa...did you guys see that?!?! Ohhhh, I think a butt whippin's about to happen here!"

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol you can tell shes sulking to lol

Holly
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi.I am sorry. I just now finally found this thread.
I have cried reading this all the way through. I am so glad she is doing better.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 814
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I answered your post but poof! It's not here!

I don't know about my little guy. Hard to say, since I have no others to compare him with. But I think he recovered some brain cells. He is pretty funny though when he tries to get me off his mama when I ride her, by walking in front of her! He still has trouble knowing how to get to the gate, unless he is headed in that direction already.

I would never get him to lay down and let me pet him and so on, though, like your Moose. Those pictures were so funny!

Poco is going to the community college next week and will start getting some serious handling and training, so it will be interesting to see what he does. I hope my classmates and the teachers like him; maybe enough for someone to buy him!

I'll keep you posted about his progress.

How does GiMooseraff do with leading and all?

But it makes me sad to think he and his mother will be separated.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 921
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Moose leads well, but only because he hasn't figured out he's being led yet. LOL! He's so people attached that he will go anywhere with you without a lead, so when you snap a lead on him he has no concept that its any different. When I get mom back and settled down, I'm going to have to work with him more on a one-on-one basis and THEN we'll see how he likes it. Dr Chris was getting aggravated with him yesterday at the clinic...lol...they were walking Blossom and checking her leg/step/gait/pressure status and he wouldn't leave everyone alone. He finally got behind him and put both hands on his butt and was pushing him out of the way. Dr Chris commented that baby was as big a goober as his mother. Something about a "dead head" syndrome. ROFL! Your boy will do ok. Its just that first few days that are the tough ones.

Holly: Its ok. All is well in Bobbiville and that's all that matters. I'm just continuing to hold my breath that it continues.

They took Blossom off of iv's at midnight last night. They wanted to see how she does through the night. I'll pick her up this afternoon if she continues to do well throughout the day. We just want to make sure that when left on her own to eat and drink (especially drink) that she continues and doesn't go back the other way. They also did some testing on her yesterday and she has an ulcer issue as well. That was probably kicked up during the weaning process stress, the mastitius stress and the leg injury stress. I didn't know this, but banamine and bute will actually accelerate an ulcer issue and cause them to go off feed...another interesting bit of information for me to file in my brain. I've never dealt with a brood mare with ulcer issues and that's something I'm going to have to get some more education on. I'm assuming that there must be some type of medication that she will have to be on that is safe for pregnancy (future possible breeding)? She's got a whole basket of issues going on, none of which they don't feel she can successfully recover from its just a real shaky ground that they are all working against her at the same time. My vets are awesome and optimistic but remind me that we still have a ways to go with her. She continues to be perky and she is now in a regular stall (of which she hates) which is one of the reasons they want to get her outta there today. She's pacing the stall and that's not getting the calm, minimized exercise that they want out of her. She'll do much better at home in the round pen where she's relaxed.

When you spend several hours with a crew of vets, you can find out all sorts of interesting tidbits. There was quite the discussion regarding parasite control. I'll start a new thread...interesting stuff.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 942
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm off for the edge of the world to go get my baby back home. Let's just hope the weekend goes well!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US