SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What should one consider before breeding mini's?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » What should one consider before breeding mini's? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 790
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think mini's are the cutest little things and have been wondering about getting some. There were a few at auction today and the kids went nuts when they came in. Some of the tiny kids were splitting their sides with laughter.

I know there are some mini people on this board, so I am asking for advice.

What kind of committment does it take-what are the specifics to the breed-especially as related to breeding and foaling issues, that one needs to consider before embarking on this adventure?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly dont think it takes much more than big horses do and they cost less to keep up. I have both big horses and some minis. The biggest thing to remeber when purchasing minis is that they do not look the same clipped as they do all hairy. I'll post my 28 in stallion for an example. Also watch for the dwarfism gene wich lines carry it im not sure for certain. Oh my minis are excape artist I run them with my big horses no issues but all my horses are fairly easy going the only thing is The minis will walk under and thru the fence where my big ones wont so I have a hot wire just for the little ones

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mouse in his short summer coat may be clipped as well i didnt own him when these pics were taken.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2676424590045340780Dyggny?vhost=pets

mouse in his woolies http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2657748440045340780zitBJh?vhost=pets

Mouse in between http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2147497200045340780efcWKW?vhost=pets

all these were taken before I got him

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ...above and beyond all else, remember this...the smaller you go in minis, the more likely you are to end up with a foal with problems!ie.. Dwarfism, as Jenni mentioned, angular limb deformities, etc. Breeding small is a challenge. I always always breed a larger mare with a smaller stallion. This means less of a chance of having a huge foal in a 28" mare. Already the proportion of mother to baby is outrageous. I have 28 inch tall mares who can foal 22" babys....that's the equivalant of your 15 h mare having a baby who's 48 inches tall (12)h & approximately 400 lbs at birth. Minis tend to have thicker sacs at birth, so it's a little more important to be there....many babies die from not getting out of the sack and asphyxiating. Also, dystocias are more common in minis. (more baby,less room) Essentially, the entire thing has the capability of turning into a train wreck...but if bred carefully, big mare/small stallion, it reduces the likelihood of these things. Also, I'd get a mare who's foaled before....this is the last year I'll foal a maiden mare....maiden mare & less than 3 is a bad combo in minis. You significantly reduce your chance of a live foal.
Feeding needs are plenty different, and they only really need fed when there's no other food around. Nothing too rich....they will founder quite easily (just like ponies) I feed my minis very minimally, and the mares get fed well within 3 months of foaling. They're pretty easy to keep, and won't add much to your feed bill at all. I don't have any escape artists.....and when they do get out, they come to the house for treats! Here's some pics of mine....winter and summer!
[IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/dynamiteball020.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/DSC00653.jpg[/IMG]
Many minis do not put up well with children, (not all, just some) The ones that do are wonderful with/for children....I have a 2 and 4 year old who love them, but a couple of mares that'll take a swipe at them in a heartbeat. They might be small, but remember they are still horses and still do horse type stuff.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you both. That is very useful info. I can appreciate the problems with having to address size, when it comes to fencing and foaling! And I will take to heart the comments of genetics and maiden mares! Whew! And thanks for the pics. Yes, they do look different without coats!

I appreciate any and all info. I can get. So thanks again and if there are any more thoughts, from you or anyone, I'm here to learn. I just love the little creatures.

Do you normally have to separate the big horses from the mini's?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont seperate mine if I had one that was super agressive big or small then Id take that one out but otherwise mine run together. At the moment I have my 2 yr old appy stallion and my 7 yr old mini stallion both turned out together with the rest. Keep in mind that mine both have exceptional temperments and that none of the ladies are cycling at the moment

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jenni.

This might be a difficult question to answer, but are the stallions more manageable, in general, than in larger breeds?

Diane, what is your web page?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Diana! I caught it as I was pushing the post button!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

being an adult the little stinkers are a whole lot less intimidating than 1300lbs of raging testosterone but they are still stallions. My 2 yr old daughter leads Mouse around the yard and hes great but was shown extensively so hes got awsome manners My 2 yr old is also capable of leading my appy stallion around the yard so just shop carefully and youll get a good one. no one once to deal with an a**hole no matter what size it is but a little one is alot easier to manage than a big one. It is my opinion tho that there are a lot more well behaved mini stallions that say big ones because ppl generally arent afraid of correcting the little stinkers where a lot of stallions are let go bad bc ppl are afraid simply bc they are stallions.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mysticrockminis.com

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni is right. Miniature stallions are easier to handle, making them more manageable. But, they are still stallions...and unless you have something you need bred to one, just get a mare or gelding. (yes, he can reach your big mare & will) they're crafty, these little guys. Better yet, wait until spring, and buy one of mine. LOL

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 805
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 06:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I just might do that! LOL! I looked at your mares on your web page. I presume these are your broodmares, or ones you are selling? I don't know which I like the best. Candy sort of struck me though and Trotter (sorry, I can't remember the wole name). The one your friend has seems nice too and what a deal!

Well, this is not a site for selling horses, but thanks for the web page. It is nice to see where people on this board "live" so to speak.

A trip to Oklahoma is do-able. But I'd have to take your advice and not buy a maiden! LOL!

By the way, there was a picture online of a mini with a hog! I need to find it and see if I can post it. Mini lovers and hoggers, as in Bobbi, might get a kick out of it.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Candy is my oldest(16) most reliable broodmare, she is wonderful, but also the one who'll take a swipe at a small child! LOL Trotter (Onyx) is second in command at 13....and also a great broodmare. These two are the core of my "reliable" herd....everyone else is somewhat of a newbie. If you want to talk about horse sales, email me.....I've either got, or can get whatever it is you're looking for....kdgilger@att.net
That way we don't make anyone mad talking about sales on here.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well Ill risk adding one more post to this my stallion is also for sale and im not that far from Diana just a thought.. Not trying to get in on one of your sales Diana just adding food for thought one from each of us lol

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, we're not negotiating anything...it's just a bunch of talk...you didn't but into anything! Silly

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 811
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really going to follow the foaling of mini's on this thread very carefully this spring. I might have one of my own due by then. And it seems with their size, a stallion might be more manageable, although I realize a "stallion is a stallion is a stallion."

I don't have funds at the moment, but will within a matter of months. That's good though. I won't make any impulsive decisions.

I really am fascinated by their special foaling needs. DUHH! Like I need more of that! But I seem to thrive on it.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ the reeason my stallion is available is because I have one shetland mare all the rest are big horses and standing him at stud doesnt seam to make much sence as everyone i know that does mini's hs their own stallion or stallions. Mine is super sweat and easy to manage my 2yr old handes him regularly of course i watch but she does it on her own she thinks hes the greatest toy lol

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 817
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni, could you give me your web page?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My site isnt as good as Dianas & I need to get pictures of him on it but you can check out my world at www.freewebs.com/jenniluttrell and www.webshots.com/bugrace2000

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni, I have no idea what you're talking about...I love your site. The black and white thing is very creative. And music....wish I could do stuff like that.
CJSKIP, I don't know if you've been to my sight or not, but, if you go to "what's cookin for 2009" you can see my mares and anticipated foaling dates. Click on a mares name, and it'll take you to the "foaling journal" which is a forum, where you can add comments if you want. There I will be posting results of milk calcium testing, and other aspects of "readiness"...so you'll have a good chance of seeing one of my mares foaling on the "Foaling Cameras" page!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana mine is a free thing that comes with step by step instuctions its the only reason it has any thing on it.. Thank you for the compliment im in the procees of trying to upload more pics to it.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 819
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana! Awesome!!!!!

I haven't had time to spend on either site. Had grandson ALL week-end and went to the fair! Then school started again today. No rest for the weary. I will check these all out though and look forward to it. Thanks, both of you.

Diane Loveday
Weanling
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana I am so impressed with your web site. I am a "maiden foaling out a maiden" for this spring and am thirsty for all knowledge and expirence I can get through others to equip me for my time. Fresca is not a mini but the information will be none the less valuble.
Jenni your site is quite striking in the black and white and looks to be a lovely work in progress.
Thanks ladies...

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you Diane

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diane, I appreciate your compliments. I have worked very hard to get it where I want it.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, when is Fresca due?
have you searched Kassie's sight for helpful information @ www.yellowhouseranch.com ? It's a great one!

Diane Loveday
Weanling
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fresca is due on or about April 8th I know her exact breeding dates because I took her to the stud to breed. April 27th 28th and the 30th. On April 29th US showed a large follicle. I took her home on the 30th. I also have a 13 yr old gelding so no chance there. US on May 14th showed conception and palpation on June 29 confirmed embryo in the R horn. She ha her 5 mo Pneumobort on 9/29 and already has a nice little belly going on. Kassie's site is also great for information!
I figure I will be starting DUHH early March. My friend and neighbor has a mini in foal due Mar 27th. We will be in this together. I referred her to your site Diana. This will be her first mini foal though she has many years of experience with horses (though I don't think she has foaled one out).
Thanks for everything, mostly I am lurking and reading everything I can. I am sure I will be posting many questions as the time gets closer.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennie, that is a very nice looking mini stallion you have there!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you Cj he's sweat to if you even think you might be interested email me bugrace2000@yahoo.com ill give you his info and you can do some research if ya want to

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US