SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Colic Surgery at 5 months along

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Colic Surgery at 5 months along « Previous Next »

Angela Crump
Neonate
Username: Rockabillyangel

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, my name is Angela and I am new to this board. I found this wonderful site while looking up info on my current worries.

My pregnant mare, Carly, is 142 days along today. She had Colic Surgery 2 days ago on the 3rd (my birthday of all days!). She had started showing symptoms of colic on Thursday night and after having my vet tube her and getting 8 liters of relfux, and finding sand in her poop, we decided to take her to the vet hospital for round the clock observation and further treatment incase she needed it.

In the radiographs they did, they saw sand in her belly. But since she was still having reflux, they couldnt give her anything to treat it. After 1 1/2 days of still getting reflux, and her temperature and heart beat rising, they decided to do surgery.

I went and visited her yesterday, (and am also going to today too), and she was alert, up, and acting like nothing happend. Im so happy and relieved that she is doing good.

Now, my worries are on the unborn baby. The hospital said they dont have anyone there that specializes in reproduction and so I have to wait till I get her home and get my vet out to check and see if the foal is ok. I am so worried and was wondering if any one has had a mare have colic surgery, or knows of someone who did and how the unborn foals survived ok? Thanks so much!!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as the stress doesnt cause her to abort all should be well with the fetus

Angela Crump
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Id post some pix of her from the hospital I took yesterday. Since she looks good, then I hope thats a good sign that the baby is ok

Here is her belly scar:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/iamnotablonde103/CarlyHospital1.jpg

Heres some of her relaxing in her stall:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/iamnotablonde103/CarlyHospital2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/iamnotablonde103/CarlyHospital3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/iamnotablonde103/CarlyHospital8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/iamnotablonde103/CarlyHospital9.jpg

Heres me hugging her:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/iamnotablonde103/CarlyHospital5.jpg

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

poor baby thats just miserable but she looks to be well on the road to recovery a few more hugs and kisses should help too. lol

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a couple of mares who had colic surgery, and went on to have healthy foals :-)

Good luck!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela~may your mare continue to heal and perhaps after she has recovered you can have her rechecked to see if her pregnancy is still going along good.

Angela Crump
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much everyone for your input!! The vet that did the surgery said he had done this numerous times on pregnant mares and that they came out with babies ok in the end. My vet is coming out on the 13th (one week) to do a check up on her, take out the staples, and give her the 5 month shots and everything. So I find out then. She is suppost to be able to come home in a couple days, and I'll definetly update!!

One thing I wanted to mention was when I brought her into the hospital last Thursday, they did an ultra sound on her belly and I got to see the spine of the baby. It was so amazing, and it gives me hope that the baby is still going strong through all of this....I know it sounds weird, but it was the cutest little spine Ive ever seen! LOL

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Be sure to let us know how she is. Sorry I have nothing to offer but my support.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 881
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela: Ouch...yikes...the belly scar looks painful. Your mare looks nice and quiet though so that is on your side! I'm so glad that she's doing well in her recovery. Continued good vibes for you and your mare (and the little bit).

Angela Crump
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update on Carly. Im worried because It was discussed that I could pick her up today or tomorrow, but the vet left a voice mail saying he wants to keep her a couple more days to run some blood tests. What do u think he would be running blood tests for?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt get to worried they could be running blood test simply a a precationary measure to say they checked everything. I would call and see exactly what hes testing for after all you are paying for it.

Angela Crump
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called the vet and found out why they are keeping her a couple more days. Apparently, a horse was brought in on the hospital grounds that ended up having a virus. They said the horse wasnt anywhere near my mare, but that they are doing blood tests on every horse on the property for safe precautions so no horse goes home with anything. Im glad they are being very cautious and thorough about it, but at the same time it sorta irks me because its more money I have to put out for these tests and to keep her there longer b/c of them letting a horse with a virus on the property. But oh well, as long as Carly is ok, thats all that matters. So new homecomming date is Friday!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad she is ok and its only precautionary although Id ask if you are going to be charged for these test and how much they are. Since its their fault it should be discounted. My vet would do it.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela..Read you paper work because I don't believe that you should be charged for the test or the extra days board due to problem they presented. Glad Carly is okay...but I would certainly discuss that with the hospital manager.

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela, when my mare was hurt in the stocks, all the vet's work on her regarding the injury was not billed. I think it would only be right for the vet to recognize the fact that you should not be billed for something you had no control over.

I'm happy she's doing well and coming home tomorrow.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 919
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A virus? Hmmmm...that's odd. I would think that in a surgical unit, it would be required that all horses coming into the property would have to be current on vaccinations.

Hope your mare continues to progress well. We may be both bringing our mares home tomorrow! I'll keep you and Carly in my continued thoughts and prayers!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US