SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Please help. Anyone know a link for post gelding care?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Please help. Anyone know a link for post gelding care? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 767
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for info. Need to know how much swelling is too much after gelding procedure. When do I intervene and call vet? What to look for? I didn't ask enough questions and have little experience. Colt has been turned out quite a bit, but does not always run around much; it varies. I actually chased him around a bit yesterday, to get him going. He has no idea of lunging.

Heard about a gelding that died post surgery. Now getting worried. I know I'm stretching it, topic wise. Just need a link so I can read articles or get advice. Going online is so exasperating sometimes. Sooooo many chats and trouble finding that "right" site. Anyway, I'd sure appreciate help from my equine friends.

Jane Whritenour
Weanling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had Buddy gelded last July. We had to hose down his private parts for a week or so to keep the swelling down. Limit his walking to a little then maybe 7-10 day his area was larger then every thing was OK.

Drainage would be a issue - If a lot then I would call a vet.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give him bute and run the daylights out of him I had a gelding gelded a few months ago that swelled so much he waddled vet told me to hose him down and break it open if he'd let me and give him bute. I just got my arab back lastnight after being gelded he was cryptorchid so it was a big deal vet gave me uniprim and bute told me to keep him moving. My first gelding I actuall had my husband drive me up and down the road while I led him bc he wouldnt lunge either lol. I would prob adminisyet 10 cc of pennicilian today and then acording to body weight for 2 more days just in case

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there will be drainage and you want it to drain as long as its not fresh blood dont worry about it

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 772
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drain it? How do I go about that? I don't see any incision. He was cut almost 48 hours ago. He won't let me touch it.

I don't have any more bute. My last supply was stolen. My vet is not great about leaving medications for me to use. Maybe knows I'm inexperienced and so doesn't trust me! LOL! But his swelling is really a lot! One would think it would bust open on its own!

Well, I guess I'll call vet. Figured I'd probably have to, but was hoping not. Thanks once again.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 773
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay. I called. Vet's not too worried. Less than grapefruit size. Say trot 30 min. per day. That I can do by riding the mare at a trot three times a day for ten minutes. It'll tax her a bit, but will get him over the hump.

She also said to hose him down, which I can also do. Sigh of relief, for now!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 857
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: I'd tell your vet that you need to pick up some Bute paste. Goodness...its one thing to give someone who may be inexperienced some injectibles but Bute does come in a paste. And that's no more difficult to use than a worming product. Put on your assertive hat there girl. LOL! You're doing what you need to heal him but there's nothing wrong with a little pain medication to make him comfortable. (Is your vet a male? Wonder how he'd feel if he got snipped and no one gave him any pain medication?! LOL!)

My vet and I are always saying, "Pain Medication and Anesthesia are our friends!" Hahaha!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bute also comes in a pill as well. I peel off the scab to allow it to drain If its only the size of a grapefruit the swelling isnt bad at all.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 776
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I didn't even think to ask for any medication. I was just like, do de do, the vet will tell me what I need. Not like me. I think I was so psyched about the good news with my mare, I overlooked poor Poco. The vet is female, actually.

And years ago, I did give injections of PC to a horse-one in each hip, 2 times a day, for 7 or 10 days. I think these younger vets are more leary of giving people pain meds for Potential problems. Thanks for the advice. I will try and fanagle some of these things I hear everyone talking about having on hand.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly by the time you get the bute he wont need it is my guess my guy Indy is 3yr old and just got cut thursday and he is doing fine the vet gave me the bute and uniprim because he had to go so deep but it was just as a precautionary He is doing fine without his bute I did give the uniprim tho bc its an antibiotic. Both the bute and the uniprim are only 3 days worth. Infact the vet told me that as soon as the swelling starts to come down to go ahead with his training

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 780
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good news is, I found some powdered bute, that I forgot I had. The paste had been stolen. Anyway, I mixed it this morning and evening with his grain and he ate it. I hope it helps. I don't think he is more swollen today, so perhaps all will be well. I just wish there were a really great site to go to and see pictures of abnormal/normal, so newbies like me would know the difference. Anyway, I expect everything is going to be okay.

Thanks for all of the help and support you've all given me. It's definetely appreciated.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alot of swelling is usually caused bc it heals over to quickly stopping it from draining. I never thought to take pictures of the swelling I will when I have Catcher gelded at the end of the month

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alittle off subject and sorry cj i have no idea on the swelling or anything i have never had one gelded only bought geldings, but my question is, when does everybody geld?i dont know when i will geld my colt but i do want him to be easy enough for me to train when he is weaned and i dont know how he will act, i know as of now he is so sweet until you attach a leadrope to him and then he's dangerous.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old is your colt? If under a year its doubtful its being a stallion thats his issue as it is a training and respect issue. You can geld anywhere between 3 months and 3 yrs of age. There are lots of sayings about when and why but its been my expeirence that its not the age when done before 3 yrs that makes the difference but the horses personaslity. I would suggest you geld yours asap tho.

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni, he is 3 months old. when i had him in the pen with his momma and tried to start halter breaking i did the constant pressure to the side to get him to take a step that way and he doesn't even think about what hes doing and just jumps around and rears like hes going to kick me in the chest so i am thinking of gelding him as soon as it is safe to do so but as i said i have never gelded before so i dont know when to geld him.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some vets prefer to wait till they are 6 months but most will do it at 3 months of age. That is pretty normal behavior from a foal use a butt rope or if you are really afraid of getting hurt (and I'll prob catch a ton of flak here) Tie him up short to a tall post so he cant rear up and stab himself or get a leg thru the fence 3 - 4 hours tied will not hurt him one bit but he will learn to give to the rope.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Jenni. Horses do not go through puberty that early, although some swear that gelding them early, makes a difference, so what do I know? LOL.

My boy is five and a half months old and got gelded last Tuesday. He is still swollen. I have been trying to get him to run around and was able to ride my mare today and trotted her. But he was trotting and running on his own, so I think the bute is helping. He still looks very swollen to me, but his little "pee pee," is visible. Guess that's good.

You notice I didn't say "hoo-ha," or any such thing! HaHa.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 787
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Jenni. Horses do not go through puberty that early, although some swear that gelding them early, makes a difference, so what do I know? LOL.

My boy is five and a half months old and got gelded last Tuesday. He is still swollen. I have been trying to get him to run around and was able to ride my mare today and trotted her. But he was trotting and running on his own, so I think the bute is helping. He still looks very swollen to me, but his little "pee pee," is visible. Guess that's good.

You notice I used "proper," terminolgy (pee-pee) and didn't say "hoo-ha," or any such thing! HaHa.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My paint gelding swelled so badly he couldnt get his dingaling out he is 2 yrs old and was miserable for about a week try putting the hose nozzle on jet spray and squirting it to try and break open the scab that will help it drain and releive the swelling my guess is hes healing to quickly all the drrainage is trapped.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Good hunting! Glad you found some Bute. It may not have helped with the swelling, but I'm sure you're boy appreciated a bit of pain relief! LOL! The swelling thing is strange to me. I've never had one swell too much, even years ago when I gelded my 12 year old stallion. Just have gotten lucky I guess!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive had some like this arab who had major castration surgery not swell one bit then others who were right there swell a ton some ppl beleive its the signs under wich they are cut refer to a farmers almanac I am beginning to beleive that as well.
If bute didnt help the swelling its drainage thats trapped

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya Jenni. So what do I do? I called the vet who said the swelling could get the size of a grapefruit. She said just exercise him. I suppose the fluid just gets absorbed eventually? I can see the incision (whereas I could not before) so am hoping it might open a little and drain some of that off.

Anyway, the vet seems unconcerned at this point. He seems to be his normal self again, except for the swelling.

You know Jennie, even with all my concern and wishing I had pictures to look at to compare with my boy, I NEVER thought of taking picutres!!! I guess I still can. It might help someone else, as long as Jos doesn't mind us straying this far-but it does still involve reproduction (in this case-the lack of it)! LOL.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol I would take pictures of Indy if you like hes still fresh but he didnt really swell the exercising helps the fluid get absorbed it also breaks it open usually. spray it with the hose and see if you can get the scab to come off it wont start gushing blood or anything I promise. It will go down on its own to

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennie, I wish I could do what you suggest, but he won't stand for it and is not trainned to tie. The good news is, it is going down! He is "hanging," normally again. So I am breathing easier.

Years ago I had a 2 year old gelded and inspite of lunging him, he swelled and got infected. So I had no idea how much swelling is normal.

Thanks once again, all of you!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad to heare hes feeling better may I sugest learning to tie now lol

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 812
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Jenni. It is overdue, but honest, I have tried to halter break him without much success. I'm hoping once he is at the college, away from mama's interference, it will go better. I'll have help too, unlike here. They grow so big so fast!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes they do. If you want some tips email me ( bugrace2000@yahoo.com ) maybe we can find a few things that will work for you both. I train professionaly plus I do all my own everything

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US