SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

HELP! Pregnant mare hurt!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » HELP! Pregnant mare hurt! « Previous Next »

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My little sisters mare "Promice" got severly cut on a barb wire fence today when she escaped and we couldnt find her for a little ove 10 hours. She is 5 months pregnant and carrying well as this is her 2nd foal. What i need to know is can I safely administer a tetnus vaccine without any "baby problems"?? Here is a pic of her wounds they are deep but couldnt be stitched due to the locations.. PLEASE HELP!!!
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/wounds.jpg

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare was injured at about 3 months pregnant, and the vet administered a Tetanus booster. She was fine.

Have you talked to the vet about it, I think that is your best bet.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

preperation H will put the hair back on without white hairs. Tetnus should be fine to give

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor baby. Thank goodness delivery is so far away, as that could cause problems with foaling, I'd think. Glad the news is good about the tetanus.

That is a great tip about Prep. H, Jenni.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 770
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary, how is "Promice," doing now?

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is doing ok. Her left front knee is really bad swollen but she is walking good. we have her stalled right now and she gets walked 3-4 times a day for about 15 minutes as to not irritate the injury. I had to give her a dose of antibiotics this afternoon due to heat in her wounds,infection is setting in but she is being cared for with the advice of our vet. He said to give her 5cc of pin. once every other day for 8 days due to her being pregnant her system doesnt need "overloaded" with daily or 2x daily shots. other than that she is doing good and the baby is well too. I think she will recover from the infection in a week or so due to catching when it started.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 781
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear it Mary. Not that she is getting infected, of course. But that was to be expected I imagine. But she is getting good care and I suppose in a few months, there were only be a few light scars and another story to tell, huh? They do keep us busy.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I looked her over yesterday (my sister is at her side today) with one shot of pin. and the meds we are useing her wounds look so much better! the swelling in her knees is going way down they are only about 2x the normal size now where they were 3-4x. the cuts a scabbed over although i have to spray them everyday and it irritates them,The infection is going away fast too. there wasnt much heat yesterday. I so need to be a vet,lol!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US