SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

My mare can be bred and ridden!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » My mare can be bred and ridden! « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am just so pleased! Today, the vet looked at my mare and said she is not in any pain from her old injury! Yahoo! She told me that there is scar tissue, which limits her reach on that right hind leg, when walking, but when trotting there is no sign of a problem! She said a lot of mares that have been used for reining and so on, get these injuries and do just fine for light riding and broodmares.

There is no point in giving glucosomine, or acupuncture or any of it. And since she is not in pain, she needs no meds! However, keeping the fat off is important.

And great news-she said she can breed and foal without any more problem than any other mare. So I'm psyched! I mean, I felt okay about breeding her, but when she validated it and went so far to say she is not in pain and can even be ridden, it really made my day.

And I can't tell you how many times I've laid my arms over her back and told her, "I wish I could ride you girl." So guess what? Instead of just getting the planned hoof trimming tonight, she got shoes!

I apologize for posting a new thread, but I've agonized over this mare for months, and this is just the greatest news-more than I EVER would have hoped for!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats this is such good news after blossom

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip, Yea, great news. How long has it been since has been able to be ridden? Just curious, what does it cost for shoes in your part of the country?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Celebrating with you here in CA! Go out a ride :-)

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent news Cjskip!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks ya all. It means a lot to me. I can hardely wait! It will be a pleasure. That much I know.

Linda, she has not been ridden for at least seven years. Was donated to a university as a broodmare. I've had her since last Feb. I rode her around the round pen a few times and that was about it. Then she reinjured an old muscle injury.

Shoes cost $85.00 here in the Central Valley of CA. but up to $250.00 on the coast!

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay $80 here in Western NE. So not much diff. I was just curious as to the cost in different areas of the country. I remember when I paid $20 and thought that was bad, but as I get older with more aches and pains and just cleaning their feet out can be a painful chore in my back paying that much doesnt seem so bad.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 833
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Congrats girl! Enjoy that riding! I pay $75 for shoes here, so still all about in the same range. I'm so pleased for you.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in So. CA. I pay $100 for a full set, $35 for a trim.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 838
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan: That's pretty reasonable on the trim...boy, metal must cost more in CA. LOL!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is just the whole cost of living in CA that brings up the price. All the local shoers are pretty close in price too.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats! Thats so exciting!

Here in Nor Cal (about 45 mins from Sacramento) I pay $120 for a full set of shoes, $45 for a trim, and I think $80 for Half Shoeings.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, and how many horses do you have to shoe? Yikes!

I rode Jewel around the pasture today, bareback! My goodness, I forgot how much leg muscle it takes to stay on, even at a walk! But the sweetie stood still for me while I stood on a plastic lawn chair to get onto her back. I just love this horse! Even if she is a #@*%@# at times, about breaking into the hay pile!!!!

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats so cool CJ :-) Are you going to breed her in '09?

We have 5 horses with full shoes on, 2 with just fronts, and 6 that get trimmed regularly. The others are my mom's mules/donkeys, and they are pretty good about wearing their hooves down themselves. So they only get trimmed about every 6 months. It's pretty much a nightmare lol.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 768
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. That's a lotta shoes! Too bad you can't haul them all at the same time (but it never works out that way) to get it done cheaper. But then again, with gas being what it is...sigh. Well, at least you are getting a lot of enjoyment out of them, it sounds like.

Yes, I'm going to breed either this month (I know-late!) or in April.

How many of your's do you breed? How many due in 2009?

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 325
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool :-) I have a mare who was born in October, so i don't think it's too late :-)

I have 6 broodmares. 4 got in foal for '09, though we tried breeding all of them. Then I leased a mare. So I have 5 total due in '09, I have my Arab, QH, and Trakehner bred to my Welsh, my Oldenburg bred to a Hanoverian, and the leased Oldenburg mare is bred to a Hanoverian :-)

I'm trying to downsize, right now I'm already not planning on rebreeding the QH and Trakehner. So, as of right now, I just have 4 I'm planning on breeding (the two that didn't get in foal this year, my Oldenburg, and Arab). If the owners of the leased mare want to lease her out again, then I'll rebreed her as well.

Who are you going to breed her to?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 785
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking at a couple of guys. But I may go ahead and get her bred back to the same stud she's gotten prego with 6 times. They have very nice foals, but his fee is $950.00.

But you will have your hands full! At least the babies will have each other to play with! LOL. Are they due about the same time, or are you going to be in what will feel like eternal DUHH-dom?

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be in eternal DUHH. Yikes. First mare is due Feb 6th (340 days), but foaled in 2007 at 320 days. So foal watch could start as early as Mid January for her, depending on how she's looking, and the last mare is due August 24th.
Gracie is due Feb 6th
Tesora is March 27th (Maiden)
Kitty is April 24th (foaled at 332 in '07)
Bailey is June 2nd (Maiden)
Dolly is August 24th (One previous foal, foaled on due date at 340 days :-))

Hows your little guy from this year doing? He sure was a cutie!!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey samantha, i actually tried to plan my breedings that way this year....so they'd be a little spread out. i ended up with everyone bred for the same month though, b/c my husband likes to travel, and hates the foal watch thing. Said he'd rather have em closer together. (last time i listen to him) I have one due late feb....if she's any later (and she will be) she'll fall in the middle of the 4 that are due in March.....and if the 2 due in april go earlier (here's hoping they don't) they'll be in march as well. I may have 6 very close together. But not close enough to get any sleep from feb to april!!!! so, i'm bound to be in eternal DUHH with you for at least the first months of the year!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow you two! Holy cow! Well, I'll try to be here for you. I'm sorry to say I will be getting sleep, but I'm sad about that because I'll have no foal watch. It's killing me! BUT, I'll be here and rooting you and all the others on.

Thanks for the complement, Samantha. I think he is turning into a gorgeous boy, but I am a bit biased. I'm going to post pics-I promise!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Are they gluttons for punishment or what?!? LOL! Poor Samantha, sleep deprevation for an entire 6 months...wow, brave, brave, brave! Diana, haha, I'm with your hubby on that one. Would rather have them all close together.

But, next year will be interesting...I had to put Echo out with "the big guy" due to the current situation. She's in full heat and being pillaged on a regular basis. LOL! So who knows, I may end up with an October foal next year.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US