SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help with setting up farm at house

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Help with setting up farm at house « Previous Next »

Kim Peavy/Blk&White Pinto Colt 6/16
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Friends! It's been awhile since I've posted, but I've been reading about all of you regularly. Things are moving along and looks like you are getting ready for next year's foaling season. I'm taking my foal to his AWS inspection on Oct. 4th. I wanted to pick some of your brains. We have been trying unsuccessfully to sell our home for over 2 years, so we've decided it ain't gonna happen any time soon. It is zoned for horses and I'd like to bring my (3) horses home. It will be a small farm....setup in my yard basically. we have 1.5 acres, but house and pool take up quite a bit of space. My biggest concern is what to do with the manure? Not enough room to re-distribute it and I'm sure the neighbors won't be happy with it piling around. I have plenty of storage space for supplies, feed, hay etc. Also, I'm sure I won't have much grass after long, so they will be dirt paddocks..how bad is this? Any advice anyone in a similar situation is in can offer is greatly appreciated. I just don't know where to start, but I'm tired of boarding and just want my boys with us...Kim}}

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim: Prior to buying our farm, I was exactly in your position (1.25 acres with 3 horses). And yes, they will "dirt lot" the place in less than a week...LOL! But, you can feed good quality hay and grain and isn't much different than having them in an extra large stall is how I looked at it. Manure...that's easy. Make a pile of it somewhere just outside of your fenced in area, as far away from your pool as possible, and then let your neighbors know you have it. We never had manure pile up in any manner because people wanted it for their gardens! (We still get people asking to come to the farm to get it!) The other suggestion I have is there is a product available that are "live bugs" that actually feed off fly eggs and is quite excellent for maintaining pest control. You just sprinkle them on the manure pile once a month and it works great! Another nice thing we experienced...our neighbors who had 1 acre yards as well, always welcomed us to bring the horses over to eat down their grass for an hour or so in the evenings. Got them out of the paddock for a bit and gave them a nice treat of fresh grass without hurting anyone's lawn. The neighbors loved it because it reduced their mowing needs...LOL. Everyone was pretty happy with it and it worked for years for us. We just got our basement poured on our new house at the farm and frankly, I can't wait to live there! It was so horrible the first few months after we moved the horses out. I missed looking out the back window and seeing them or walking out on the back deck to give them carrots and apples. The place felt empty without them. (By the way, towards the end...hahaha...Blossom had learned how to walk up the stairs onto the back deck. I would come home from work to find her standing on the back deck!)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, I absolutely hate the manure pile! I have 8 acres, but find that even when spreaded, the horses will not eat even the richest grass where their poop has been . I empty my cart daily into the same small area (spreading it, not piling it) then weekly, I start up the riding lawn mower and scatter it to oblivian....it doesn't ever make a pile, and takes up a very small amount of space.... as far as the dirt lot is concerned....go to tractor supply and pick up a bag of "horse max" grass seed...they can munch on it while it grows, and when it's established well, they can't get rid of it no matter how hard they try. This is what I have done, and find that I no longer have to rotate pastures to keep the grass green....and the worst thing our neighbors complain of is that our horse pasture looks better than their lawn....many joke about my horses living on a golf course. I live in a neighborhood where there are million dollar homes, and have the largest lot....there's a lot more they could complain about if you ask me! (thank goodness the minis are so cute! ) LOL

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, thanks Bobbi & Diana...you give me confidence that this can be done! I wonder what to do with the irrigation throughout my yard now though...should we cap all the sprinkler heads? I'm sure they will get stomped on and wouldn't want the horses to get hurt. This is exciting and I just posted on another board...watch me do all this work and the darn house will sell because someone can see my vision and dream. I found out I can take the manure to the dump for $42.00 a ton or $2.10 per 100 lbs...we only live about 2 miles from there...so I guess I could always be shoveling it off trailer if I have too...I'm so excited...now, where to put barn, etc. and layout my little dream farm...thanks :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 786
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim: High five! You'll do fine. Your dump would LOVE to have your manure...LOL...when they start asking you to "set it" in a certain area, remember they're making double money...cuz they're probably getting as much from garden shops for the fertilizer as what you're paying them to dump it. LOL! I just got lucky and never really had to "pile" it up past a few feet before it was gone all the time. You'll be fine. An acre or a little more really is just a BIG stall.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 926
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, leave the irrigation, it'll only be helpful. Get some austin stone or something and stack around the heads so the horses won't step on them, and the lawn mower won't run over them. Do something decorative!

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,i live on just over an acre and i get my atv out every friday and tie on a piece of wire fencing and put a pallet on top of that and drage the paddock area and the poo just breaks down to nothing it realy looks nice after that.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana,what kind of seed is that horse max grass seed??does farm supply have it??i would like to put that in for my horses if you can give me more info on it.Thank you.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 971
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's about 5 different kinds of grasses.....none of them fescue. It was called Horse Max, and one bag covered 3 acres.....I dont' know if they have it anywhere else...I'll look into it

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too Diana! I found their website, but haven't had any luck finding out where I can purchase it locally. I checked with my local co-op and at Home Depot with no luck. I think I will try and email them during the week. Judy here is a link for the website http://www.dlf.co.uk/Agricultural_Seed/HorseMax.aspx

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DIANA and CHARLENE,thank you!

Beth Walker
Yearling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, our neighbors got one of the small trash dumpsters from their trash service and they just dump all their manure and trash into the dumpster and it is picked up weekly with all the other trash.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and ideas. I think I've convinced my hubby. We've been helping out some friends who are in a bad way, had to move from MI due to job loss and their entire breeding operation, which is now downsizing...long story short, the man is trying to convince my hubby to purchase one of his "weanlings" who is trotter (race bred) and evidently of extreme winning stock...the dam's full brother won 1.5M at track. He said he'd train her for free, and we could pick her up very cheap with the market the way it is....So my non-horsey hubby is actually considering this...dreaming, I guess, but he's got to get involved somehow and it's more motivation to get my little farm here at the house. I'm going to print out all of your great advice and pass it on to him. Thanks for everything, you guys are the best :-) Kim

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US