SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hurricane preparation

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Hurricane preparation « Previous Next »

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are due to have Hurricane Ike come close our way. I have a fairly new good barn ( Barnmaster Barn) Should you keep the horses completely closed in or closed except for one way out or just loose. Any suggestions. We heard we may have up to 100 mile winds and possible tornados. Be careful what you wish for . We have been praying for rain---soooo dry. We may get more than we want. Keep us in your prayers and all those along the way.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 894
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay, I personally lock them all up and close the barn up tight when weather is bad.......here in OK (tornado alley) LOL I am sure that your barn was built to withstand, if you're in a hurricane area.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No experience in this, although I would probably lock them in tight. I lived in Florida in my youth and remember those hurricanes, but never had horses there.

I'm thinking of you and hoping all goes well and has gone well at this point. Please keep us updated and keep yourselves safe.

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would keep them locked up tight, but I've noticed when they've had a choice to be in or out during bad storms, they've always choose to be outside. They just stick they're butt to the wind and ride it out.

I hope you and your family, neighbors, friends and animals will make it through the storm safely Kay. Let us know you're alright.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay~Praying for you and yours...Be Safe....Let us know how everybody does...Jan

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Its getting kind of scary. Area is now out of gas, batteries, bread, and low on water. If the electricity goes out the water pump won't work so no water. worried about possible winds. I've got the barn fixed up. Water buckets ready to fill, hay to line their stalls, plenty of food , everything picked up outside. The weather is eerily calm. Of course its about 2 days away. I'll keep in touch as long as the internet is going.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 685
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay,
Preparing here too.
Grocery stores have been scavanged through, and I expect the gas stations (my prediction) to be out of fuel by tomorrow afternoon.
This storm is huge, and I hope it doesn't upgrade into a 3 or 4...but they keep saying on the news it probably will be a 3.
I will be filling up large trash cans with water in the barn, so that I will be able to refill the water buckets if we lose electricity.
Stay safe!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never thought aaboaut the trash cans of water. Thanks! Where are you. I'm between San Antonio and Houston. We're thinking now its going a little more east and north. Keep well!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girls I pray for your safety! It sounds like you've prepared yourselves for the upcoming storm. I hope it's not as bad as they predict. Stay safe!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather...prayers for you and yours too! Take care.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 687
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay,
I'm in the Houston area. Been an anxious day 'round here. Have gotten everything for the barn/horses set...extra buckets in the stall for water, filled the trash cans, brought in hay/shavings, barn is secure.
Now have to work on getting me ready. Will be up most of the night.
Fortunately, it looks like the storm is not getting any stronger...and the wind shears may be less than initially expected. Still nervous though (sure u understand).
Marilyn & Jan..thank you.

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
Just made it in to my sisters in Houston to hole up for the night. Our Property is on the dirty SE side of the storm north of Houston and is probably going to take a pretty bad hit and we have a mobile home so we don't dare take the chance with the possibilities of tornados.

Personally I've always turned all our horses out in the open pastures and felt that is the safest route to take. I don't care how strong the barn is said to be, it can easily be taken out by the smallest of tornados.

In the open pasture they can at least move around and escape any dangers whereas in the barn they may panic and be harmed or worse yet the barn collapses on them.

If you have access to large open pastures to turn them free in, then I'd say do so. Alot will depend on where you are and what type of windbreaks you have ect.

Ours have been through it before, their weather smart and will do whats best. We even move all the round bales to the back pasture with them on high ground in case of flooding.

You just have to do what you feel is best for your area and hope for the best. I'm just hoping when I get home they are all okay and I still have a home.

Be aware also that if you left to go elsewhere during the storm you may not be allowed back into your area even to check on your animals for some time afterwards. so you may want to get numbers to anyone in your area that may be staying near enough to check on them after the storm.

Last time this happened in our area they didn't allow people back in for 4 days.

If any of you are in the Liberty or Dayton area and have left livestock you would like checked on please let me know. I have credentials and a letter for conformation purposes as essential emergency personnel so can get through anywhere I need to go and will be heading that way directly after the storm to check on my horses and would gladly go by and check on others in the area if needed.
I wish everyone the very best of luck and hope all remain safe from harm.

I will be checking back before the storm but meantime need to take the dogs out. Just leave me an address if you need horses checked on.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis~I will add you and yours to my prayer list..stay safe..we are all pulling and thinking about you!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 688
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis, so glad you got to high ground and out of the mobile home.

You gave lots of good advice. With all hope, the storm will not hammer all of us too bad.

My horses here have to stay in the barn. Sure wish it was safe enough (or big enough property) to turn out...but, there is a business next door that has countless amounts of unrestrained debris (tin, etc) outside that poses a big threat.
I have a horse that is weathering it outside, but he is farther north at a different property. He & his buddies will do ok there, and the pasture is fairly large.

It's been a number of years since we've had a hurricane hit, and with all luck...we'll not have another for some time.

Ya'll stay safe.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Storm went further east and north for us. So all of family came to our place. There fences went down but looks like everything else is OK. We had slight wind and NO RAIN. We are about 75 miles from Houston. I locked up horses in barn cuz wind did pick up and they were racing around some. Vet suggested locking them up , he said after a storm he has had to stich many a horse up for getting excited and running into fence wire. Sounded reasonable to me. Let us hear how others fared. I really appreciate all the prayers, could have been much worse. It was really close.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got high winds from it that removed a bunch of tin but no tornadoes or and the power is back on this am so im happy. Glad your safe.

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New porch and carport $1800, fences $600, levelling mobile home $1200, hearing your horses whinny to greet you home and seeing them safe Priceless.
Well, we didn't due to great but everyone is safe and sound. We have a fair bit of damage and lots of water but it seems to be going down steadily.
Houston was hit very hard and has alot of damage and will probably be without power for several days. My sister now has a redecorated den with a strong outdoor theme since the tree came crashing through but all are fine and that's what counts and what insurance is for.
I'd say 85% of the trees on our place are broke in half or down completely. The horses have high ground to say out of the water so are good and we are using the 4 wheeler to go back and forth around the property through the water.
Anyone on Entergy's power such as liberty county where I am may be out of power for 4 to 6 wks. due to a catastrophic failure at a main grid station,so get prepared and consider it an extended campout.
All in all it's not pretty here and is going to be rough for awhile but everyone is okay.
Thank goodness for Ma Bell (underground optic cables)and good ole' fashioned dial up service.
I'm using it on my laptop to check the news and keep in touch.
I'm glad to hear that you are okay Jenni and Kay and I hope we'll be hearing from Heather soon that all is well.
Will keep in touch, gotta run for now, evyone stay safe and be careful.

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis, glad to hear that all are safe and soud! I live in central ok and all we got was lots of rain. my 2 month old foal is now starting to get over his fear of puddles! hope everyone caught in the storm is safe and sound and prayers sent out to all of you. this is one of the times that i love this weird oklahoma weather, as long as it is not hurricanes i love it but we are right down tornadoe alley

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis it sounds like you got hit really hard thoughts and prayers your way glad everyne is safe thats what counts

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so happy to hear from you girls, and that you and your animals are safe! I couldn't imagine how scary that must be! I too hope Heather is doing well.

Thank you for giving us an update. My computer was down most of the weekend, so I wasn't able to check this and it was driving me nuts worrying about you girls.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So glad to hear that you and your hairy people came through okay...bummer on the damage...now we will be praying for speedy insurance response!

Heather are you okay?

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully we'll hear from Heather soon and know that she's made it through okay. I'm sure she and her herd are fine just don't have power to make contact. I'm certainly keeping them in my thoughts.
It's unbelievable some of the damage and flooding that's taken place.
Right now my company is a blessing and is providing generators and working on locating a large water pump at one of our sites for me to use as well. They are even working on bringing in travel trailers for those who need them to use to live in.
Since our water well is damaged I won't be able to get water to the horses for quite some time so can use the pump to pull water from the rice canal to refill tanks as needed.
You have to wait in line for hours to get into a grocery store to get food if you are lucky enough to find one that is open somewhere, and then just get whatever you can and not be picky.
Getting gas is a nightmare and not worth the effort or the fight (literally).
Fortunately, work is also providing on that as well so i bring my vehicle and gas cans and fill up.
I never thought I'd appreciate my job so much as I do now.
I consider myself very fortunate in comparison to many that have lost absolutely everything and can't even go back to the town they live in due to the flooding and damages. Some don't even have homes to go back to.
At times like this you have to be thankful for all the great things you do have and not worry about those you don't or the material things you may have lost. As long as everyone is okay then you are blessed and things will work out.
I can't even begin to express our thanks to all the wonderful rescue teams and military throughout the U.S that have come in to aid and assist with manpower and equipment. We have ERT crews from California to Florida here assisting and working 24/7.
I'd best run for now but will check back in later when possible.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 750
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all of you Hurricane folks...glad to hear that those who have checked in are safe and their animals are safe. It may be rough on the damage side but you're all alive!

I live in MO and to he honest, we had 60-70 mile an hour winds here as the hurricane came through. I've never dealt with a hurricane before and am amazed that this storm made it to us within 24 hours and was still that strong over land. We've got roofs off, trees down, massive flooding and some fence mending to do but I too managed to get through with all livestock well and accounted for. The only worry we had was the pigs went into their pig barn and huddled together and one of them rooted the door shut...lol...so they were all trapped in together. Glad no one got hungry or thirsty till we got them out...which was interesting in itself because they all were sleeping and "Betty" 925 pound sow was the one up against the door...my 88 pounds didn't help get her big ole fat butt up so that I could open the door...took a few hours of talking through the door to get them sleeping beauties up so I could give them their freedom. LOL!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys,

I wrote a post, and it's gone "poof". Wanted to let you know that all is ok.
Have been working non-stop the past several days with cleanup between home, neighbors, and work.
Our street/subdivision took a beating, and they brought in lots of large equipment yesterday to remove fallen trees and power lines.
While lots of our neighbors homes were smacked by trees, our home and barn are ok. Horses are doing good (absolutely priceless).
Heading off for some rest, and will re-post the pictures tomorrow.
Everyone take care and talk soon,
Heather

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to know you are are ok Heather. Take a much needed nap.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather!Yea so glad to hear that you and yours are okay..hope the clean up and restoration goes well....

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather,
glad to hear from you and know that all is okay. Yes, the clean-up is a nightmare isn't it. Have you gotten power back yet? I know it's desperate times when I can't wait to get to work because I want to take a shower.
I was at our feedstore yesterday and the owner was telling me the Tx. Cattlemans Assoc. is saying they have over 10,000 cattle dead due to the strom surge alone. I think this is why they are not allowing people back into some of the coastal areas. The owners lost their large barn but no livestock thank goodness.
So glad that everyone and their herds came through okay.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 798
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so happy you all are okay!! I can't imagine going through a hurricane. Thunderstorms are bad enough for me.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 742
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also posted a note and it was lost to cyber space-Poof!

Just glad you are all okay and that your animals made it through the crisis. How awful to wonder what you'll return to. My brother lost everything he had in 1993? Can't remember the name of that hurricane, but it was a doozey. His family slept in a tent for some time after the storm. In the end he got a lot of work and got a new home, but it was awful for awhile.

Anyway, glad to hear from all of you. Is the hurricane season over now? Hope so.

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj,

Unfortunately no, hurricane season isn't over yet. We have about another 6 wks. to go.

It's terrible what happens to some peoples lives like your brothers when something like this happens. Hopefully all will work out in the end for everyone, as did your brothers situation.

On a happy note, I got my power and water back on and working, Yahoo! that's a good start.

Tonight's my Friday so I plan on spending my next 4 days off cutting, burning, and just plain cleaning up as much of the mess as I can. If anyone wants firewood for the winter come on by and help yourself.

Bobbi, I'm glad you didn't get any damage when it passed your way. I've heard alot about the bad weather it caused when going North. Even my In-laws lost power for 3 days when it went through their area, and they're in Ohio.
And i can't even imagine trying to talk that sow into moving. Heck, when my neighbors hog gets loose and comes our way I can hardly get him headed home using the 4-wheeler, so I know darn well I couldn't talk him into going back. You must be one heck of a sweettalker.

Heather, how are you making out? I'm sure you're exhausted trying to get things back to normal. Don't work yourself to hard.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US