SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How much does it cost to have a foal??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » How much does it cost to have a foal?? « Previous Next »

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am just wanting on opinions on this. Not including the breeding fee--how much does it cost extra to care for a mare while in foal and then how much to keep a foal til weaning. Including feed, shots etc.... over an above what it would be if the mare was not in foal??

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 889
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the mare's 5,7 & 9's, upping her grain in last 90 days, the foals IGG and deworming & hoofcare b/w birth and weaning....all in all, it doesn't cost much to have a foal...assuming all goes right. It's when things go wrong that it can get fairly expensive!

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 01:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If all is well it can be fairly reasonable, money wise....what all foals always cost is time and effort....like human babies there are many small details that need to be addressed if a healthy foal well adjusted weanling is the result. Also registration costs should be included and unless the foal and mare are very compliant, a trainer may be part of the cost,

Any health issue, foaling issue, deviation of legs, hooves etc, colic, injury etc,,,the cost really goes up...

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also had a caslick for the mother. She had a dead foal last pregnancy and had to have an emergency visit to extract and flush out the placenta and take antibiotics. But that baby is WELL worth it.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothy, I don't know your situation, so please forgive me if I am talking "down," to you in this post.

Cost depends. If you have grazing year round, that cuts down on the cost of extra feed. The mare needs grain and quality alfalfa, as well as free access to hay, during the last 90 days, at least, of the pregnancy, and then for as long as she nurses.

The foal will need its own grain and a creep feeder so the mare cannot eat the grain. You will need a place to separate them at weaning and the baby does eat hay as well.

The foal will need its feet trimmed at about three/four months. It needs a foal size halter and a weanling and yearling sized as well.

The vet will have to be called at the very least, the day after the foal is born to check its immune level.

You'll need to buy a few other suppies, but they are not costly, unless you want to have Seramune on hand in case the baby doesn't nurse well, or mama has poor colostrum. That cost me $150.00 for a bottle, but the good news is, it keeps a year, so if you don't need it, at least it is good for another year. There are alternatives, but that is what I used.

There is the bedding that has to be clean and deep as long as one is waiting for the foal to be born and for a few weeks after, depending on the weather and your space. I went through a lot of bales of straw-I guess about three bales per week for about a month of wating and about four or five, for a few weeks after the birth.

Many people (including myself) invest in an outdoor camera, with a monitor, so they can watch from inside. The time and energy, as someone noted, is a big part of it.

I don't have a dollar amount, but I hope this helps. It is true though, that the cost is minimal, compared to ver bills if something goes wrong.

Are you thinking of jumping in? We love company during foal watch, don't we DUHH gang?

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes! someone else to join the DUHH gang!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 684
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) When everything goes ok, the costs are relatively acceptable. Would have to figure it up, but my costs probably range around the $500-600 range (gestation-weaning) for basic care/vet expenses.
When things go wrong, you will be eating PB&J for a while.
This year, my savings and a portion of my 401K took a major hit.
Hope for the best, but prepare yourself for the worst.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather~how is your little filly doing? I think of her often and how is that coming 3 year old too? :-)

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 686
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan :-)
Roux is doing well, thank you. She is a sweet girl, and looks a lot like her momma. Then again, I am terribly biased (big surprise right?). I love her to pieces.
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/Roux/IMG_2340.jpg[/IMG]

Buddy, he's a big boy...16.2. So far, so good with him and will be getting broke to ride here soon. It was put on hold this summer due to my ankle (broken).
Looking forward to riding him...seems like it was just the other day he was born :-).
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/IMG_2149-2.jpg[/IMG]

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW...what a beauty Roux is and yes she does look like her momma...Buddy looks great! Thanks so much for sharing pictures...you deserve some horse peace and quiet time! Praying for you today..stay safe!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US