SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Weaning not so bad as anticipated

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Weaning not so bad as anticipated « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 721
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been dragging my feet about weaning my baby, because I expected him to go nuts and for his mama to pace and snort and call to him. But NADA! I led them both into the pole corral/stall and fed them. Then scooted mama out and he was busy eating and didn't notice. She called him once. Then she saw the food I had for her near the stall, and she went for that. I left him in for almost three hours. I will do it for 4 tomorrow and keep extending it. Of course, I expect they will be savy to it now, but I'll manage. I think she was glad to have him off her.

So anyway, all you who are new to this business, in my case with my four month old colt, it went without a hitch! So good luck to ya. No need to fret.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 518
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJSKIP,That is the same way i have been doing it with chenoa its been going soooo good.NO STRESS at all,i have a question for you ,after the 3 hrs are you putting them back together??and what about at night?chenoa is seperated by pipe corral so every so often when momma wants to she lets him nurse,they both have a lrg area to be in so most of the time they are just doing there won thing.Soon i will move him over one more corral so he wont beable to nurse threw the fence. i have only lft them apart for hrs during the day i havent done night time yet,poor baby having to sleep with out his mommy..When will you leave them apart at night???

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've wondered about nightime myself. Not sure what I'll do. I think if they can be seperated for most of the day, as long as they can nose each other, they could be separated at night. I keep the mare in a paddock, so she is never far away from him.

Yes, I did put them back together after three hours. I have him in a pipe corral too and mama can go over and nurse him if she wants to. I was unable to seperate them today, as I was at the auction All Day! The next four days are school days (horse classes I take) so that will bite into my time, but I'm going to do my best to be consistant with them. Otherwise, my mare won't start drying up.

What an experience, huh? I'm glad all is going well for you. It seems only yesterday that we were talking about the impending births! LOL

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 345
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weaning wasn't as hard on the horses as it was for me. Unsure as to what to do. The worry!! The separating them was hard emotionally for me and extra work moving them around, feeding at separate places etc. Then when I put them back , he started nursing again and had to separate AGAIN. All ended up well. I guess we worry more than we have to.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 726
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay, how long were they apart before you put them together again? I'd hate to get him weaned, then start all over again!

I hear ya about the extra work. LOL

You wrote, "I guess we worry more than we have to." So true! We do over worry sometimes, I think. But that just makes us good horse mamas, huh?

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Sky separated for about a month. When I put them back together they were in a large 5 acre pasture with other horses. I caught him trying to nurse once but momma would have nothing to do with it. Swan dried up very well. I have her back in work and she is so happy. They are separated again as it is easier for me to work her when she is closer to the house and I had no problem separating again.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 346
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they were separated about 4 weeks and I didn't let them stay together long cuz it looked like Topi was going to let him nurse again. So I separated for another two weeks. She let him nurse then for JUST A LITTLE WHILE. Then moved on and kicked at him. It may have worked at 4 weeks after all. He still goes and tries a suck or two. She'll let him then moves away and sets her ears back. Milk has not started back.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all of you for the info. I'm actually looking forward to getting him weaned and I think mama will be happy too, although she has been doing much better with the increase in her medication.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 741
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 01:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little update. I have been separating my colt from his mama all day long now. I am actually relaxed enough to leave them while I am in classes and riding all day. Tonight, I let him in with mama for a few minutes, after I fed him separately. He nursed for a few moments, then returned to his left over food. I take this as a very good sign that she is beginning to dry up.

I separated them again, but it was near dark and they were touching noses through the pipe corral and I just didn't ahve the heart. I plan to have them separate during the night too, this week-end. Poor baby.

But all in all, it has gone very smoothly and the colt is already paying more attention to me. Smile!

How do they grow up so fast? Snif.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip glad to hear its going well I bought a mare and foal this week the colt is 6 months and pulling hard on momma so i thought id wean cold turkey ha ha He cleared my aluminiam gate with room to spare the stinker so his new home has become the horse trailer until he calms down some. My trailer is lg and affords him plenty of space its just a pain to clean

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennie-I can just see that! My colt went through a chainlink gate once when he was a little baby and couldn't figure out how to get to mommie!

And he still gets panicked if mama is in the three acre pasture, and he is in the paddock, but is okay if he is in the bigger pasture and she is in the paddock. He is accepting the physical seperation okay, as long as he can get close enough to nose her.

However, when they have their brief moments together, he changes! As I am leading mama into the stall for the night, he will try to get between me and her and even swing his butt to me, because he wants to nurse. I only allowed him to suck for about three minutes today.

It has all worked out well. Her bag was only rock hard once and his nursing for a few minutes took care of that. She is drying up and is very soft now, most of the time. I don't plan to let him nurse at all anymore, unless she gets really hard. It is more trouble this way, as it has been about, what? A two week process? But is easier on both of them, I think, and on me!

I do not look forward to hauling him away though. I just hope he gets through it okay. He is going to go to the community college where I am taking classes and I will train him there.

My suggestion to you (not that you asked for it or even need it) is that you might try putting your mare in the trailer, or other small place. He might get hurt on the trailer, trying to get to mama. A horse of mine once had a horrible injury when his foot was caught in the V of the trailer hitch. But let him nose her if possible. That's my suggestion anyway.

And congrats on a new horse and colt! What kind are they and what are your plans?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJskip - The mare and foal are mustangs the colt i'll keep the mare I'll train and sell. She will be an awsome little mare once put under saddle. The other mare I got with those two is bred to my old stallion and due to foal in NOV of all times. The colt couldnt get hurt in my trailer any more than he could in the pasture. Its 20ft long and the air slats are at the very top so even if he rared up the chances of him getting a leg caught are slim to none. I put him in the trailer for 3 days and turned mom out to pasture the firs day she hung around pretty close the 2nd day she started to wander and all my other mares had to come check on him on day three no one was interested in him so I put him up front where i keep my intraining horses, taught him to lead and tie and now a wk later he has no interest in momma. Since Im going to sell momma I doubt they'll ever be pastured together again but they do share a fenceline and they do not bother with eachother. Im going to switch out him and his momma next week and start her under saddle

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 765
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weaning IS as bad, if not worse, than I thought it would be! Keep my two mares in your thoughts everyone...they are really sick!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi whats going on with your ladies?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi....you and yours are in my thoughts! So sorry..hopefully it will quickly resolve itself.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They BOTH developed serious Mastitis! Running 105 temps and sick as dogs. Having to force water down them, they won't eat, won't move! Started them on antibiotics today. Poor ladies! Babies are doing great...mom's are just getting way-layed! Keep them in your thoughts...poor Echo is just standing with her nostrils flared and panting like a dog!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi try squirting straight vingar or molasses in their mouth that usually will make mine drink also work will help the mastitis. Your gals are in my thoughts.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, my mares are better today. They have both reduced their fevers now and with two days of antibiotics in them, they are feeling much better. I gave them oral electrolytes yesterday and that really helped with the dehydration issue. My poor girls. They are not having a good time with this but at least its looking like we're moving in the right direction. My boys have been doing well with weaning for these few days. Last night they are showing signs of being grouchy...LOL...milk withdrawal pains...they both stomped their feed pans and pawed the grain around; irritated that there is no milk in there. Haha! They've been eating full daily rations of grain for several months now so they must just be irritated that they don't have any "milk to wash the cookies down". Poor Lena who is the sole mare stuck with all the children looks like the Piped Piper...everywhere she goes, she has a trail of babies following her.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cjskip,hows the weaning going?How often did you let your foal nurse during the day??Then what about night time??chenoa and dice have been cheating at the fence line,so i want to move him over one stall but i worry now about dice after Bobbies ordeal..so if you can tell me how the last part of this goes,could you tell me?Thanks.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

judy: Don't let my terrible experience worry you too much. Its my understanding that equine mastitis isn't really that common when weaning...I just got unlucky I guess. My vet just had me start penicillin on them (I always have it handy) and my trauma only lasted about 48 hours until they got better. I completely seperated them because I knew once those mares starting filling up and getting uncomfortable, they would go to the fence line and let those babies nurse. I had started about three weeks ago, turning moms out in the field next to babies to graze for awhile by themselves. Babies did fine with that and when the mares would start filling up, they would amble back over to the gate to be let in with the tots to nurse. It was averaging about a 6-8 hour span so at that point they were only nursing a couple times a day and certainly don't need it. It helped with the idea of seperation. I'm lucky enough that surrogate mom is still nursing her baby and that's who I left the little guys in with so it was less traumatic for them. Blossom's bag is completely down this afternoon and she is quite comfortable (after 3.5 days, not too bad). Echo, who was the sickest of the two with the high fever, still is full today but at least she's not at exploding like she has been so even she's more comfortable now, just not quite up to par yet. In fact, Dr. Amber had me stop Blossom's antibiotics after her shot this morning. She's pretty much out of the woods with her mastitis. Echo she wants to keep going with her until Friday afternoon and we'll see how she is then. Echo is the only mare yet that is not bred back so we're just trying to make sure that she is/and remains infection free...just in case *wink*.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bobbi,i will keep that in mind.I'am glade your girls are feeling better.I have been wondering about turning chenoa out with my daughters pony because i dont have any one else,do you think this would be ok?The pony was the boss over dice so i worry she will hurt chenoa,but they play threw the fence very day,and he is as big or bigger then she is now.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

judy: I think that would be a great idea to introduce a new friend for Chenoa. How would Dice take to letting the pony in with her a baby for a day or two to become acclimated? When I reintroduced Lena back in with the other two mares/foals, everyone had to "sort themselves" out a bit and Lena did a great job of defending her foal and putting everyone in their place (they were also fence to fence so it wasn't too traumatic at all...if they can touch through the fence and have become acquanted, its much easier.) I know with my foals, it is just wonderful that they have someone familiar to hang with when moms have to dissapear. Poor things...lol...they are just lost when they don't have someone to hang with. (Their immune system goes down during weaning because of stress so the least amount of stress is always the better.) Having a buddy is, in my opinion, always the best way to keep everyone calmer. If Dice will tolerate the pony being with them, she will defend her baby if the pony starts getting a little too bosy but with Chenoa's age, Dice should allow for the independence necessary for them to get to know each other. Just a suggestion. (Just remember, most of these foals don't know they are bigger...lol...they are still going to probably be submissive to an adult whether it be a standard horse size or pony size.)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 524
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bobbi,the pony and chenoa are stalled side by side and play over the fence,i have dice and chenoa in different stalls also side by side they both can go out to there own pasture area (no grass)this is the area she lets him nurse threw the fence,because i just gave him his own stall i will let them do this for a short time than make it so they can not do that anymore,that is when i would like to put the pony in with him a little while during the day .

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 749
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy, I'm sorry I have not checked this board for a few days or so. So busy with my three horses, in two different places and school!

The weaning is going well. Jewel has had no problems. Her bag got very hard once, and I had him nurse just a bit and all was well.

I have not checked yesterday or today though. Had a minor family emergency that caused me to have to cancel Poco's castration. Then had to reorganze my feed area as Jewel is a master at getting into the hay bales. The NEW stuff I give her just isn't new enough I guess. She likes to dine from the top of the bales. Yesterday was also a crazy and long day.

Anyway, to try and make a long story short, I ended up with them together again. I have not seen Poco nurse, but am going to check her bag and am crossing my fingers that I don't have to start all over again! I'll let you know how her bag is today, later on.

So glad you have a pony for Chenoa. I know that when totally seperating foals from mama it is less stressful if they have playmates. Gosh, so much to consider. How is it going?

And Bobbi, you answered a lot of my questions too. Thanks!

Question: if a foal is never really socialized with other horses, other than their mama perhaps, will it be hard for them in adulthood, to be put in with other horsses? In other words, is there a critical time to learn they are a horse? And to learn about pecking order and all that?

I ask because Poco has only had mama around. I will soon be taking him to a quarter horse unit at the college. The other horses are all adults. He will be in a pipe corral and can interact with horses on either side of him, but will not be turned out with any. This will go on until Dec. After that, he will be in a pasture with a gelding and his mama. Any thoughts?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 798
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: In answer to your question, in my opinion, yes, if they aren't socialized around other horses when they have the baby "chomp" thing going, I think it can be more difficult for them. Not impossible certainly, but perhaps a culture shock reaction. Horses are herd animals by nature of course, so learning pecking order under "natural" conditions certainly gives them a leg up in learning social etiquette. But, many horse owners don't have several horses around to give that experience to them. I wouldn't go trucking off down the street to find Joe Blow Neighbor's and borrow his horse to give your baby a lesson. Yikes! LOL! But, just realize that your baby may be a bit on the "unskilled socially" side when a time comes to present him to a group of horses and be ready for the reaction that may occur. I think the game plan that you have for him where he is exposed but not by direct threat by other horses is an excellent way for him to ease into socializing. You'll be fine!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 01:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bobbi. As usual, you made me feel better.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 356
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help! Will I have to start over!! I weaned Nova on July 11. Separated for 4 weeks, he started nursing again, separated for 2 more weeks. Started sucking slightly , but momma would move off and seemed to discourage. Momma is DRY. Tiny teats, soft udder. Now a month later, Nova is SUCKING. Still udder is soft and teats flat. Will she start producing milk again and should I separate AGAIN. Topi is standing to let him suck. You can't push him away from her or make her move on. What's going on!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 755
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy, sorry I have not answered your post. I was waiting to see how it goes and what happened was I seperated them overnight twice, with mama in the corral and baby outside of it and it went fine. But then, due to a crafty mare who gets into her hay no matter how I cover it, I had to end up with them together again. I did not see much nursing and did not see much milk production, until tonight! It seems she is bagging up again! I cannot believe it! She was like nill, a couple of days ago. I thought for sure he wouldn't get enough to make it worth while and wouldn't nurse enough to make it come back. Damn horses! Won't they ever quit surprising those of us who are new to this stuff?

So Kay, I had thought that when I read your post yesterday, I was going to say no need to worry. Ha! Shows what I know!

Anyway, next week it will all be over. Baby got gelded today and will go to the college next week. I'm going to be working with him there, but only four days a week. I am going to miss him, being right here in the pasture.

But my point was, and I do have one; he will be separated and nursing will end. Hopefully, she'll not end up with mastitis.

Jennie, I'll shut my mouth! LOL! I'm impressed! You weaned and taught the baby to lead in what, a week? Oviously, you know what you are doing.

Bobbi, are the girls continuing to get better?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a woman the trick to weaning is to turn off that soft hearted motherly instinct. I completely seperate them no touching no nothing if they want a friend its me unless I have another I'm weaning. I see no problem with giving your guy a pony for companionship. The first day they will both call and in my case the mare didnt get 50ft from the trailer all day but by day two only baby and my other mares were at all interested in talking and by day three everything was pretty well over with. I haltered him and worked with him one day in the trailer then led him to his pasture with my roundpen in it. I tied him up for about four hours he stood very well only sitting back once so I turned him out with my gelding. He has yet to pay any attention to his mother wich he shares a fence with.
Bobbi I hope your mares are better.

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish my mare would give up on her baby. I separated them about 1 month ago. There is only a fence between them, but when the other horses go out to graze Rita hangs around the corral with her colt. Once in a while she might go out for a short while, but not for long. If I switch them out and Bailey has the chance to leave and go out to graze there is no hesitation on his part. I would leave Bailey out but Rita just walks the fence and gets all worked up. I wish she would just let go! She is a great mother, but enough is enough. I havenít checked her bag for about a week, but last week she still had some milk, so I donít want them together yet.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda can you get them out of eachothers site for a few days. I used my horse trailer as I dont have enclosed stalls

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a way to get them out of each others site at home, but I might be able to take the mare to my sisters for a few days. I have done it this way in the past with another mare and foal and it worked great.
Jenni thanks for the advice

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda let me know how it works but thats what I'd do. your welcome

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 834
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The girls are better. Mastitis is basically cleared up, both mares are in estrus AT THE SAME TIME! (Foaled at the same time and now they're in heat at the same time...hahaha...hormones are everywhere!) However, we are on week three and I still have udders with milk. I was hoping to be able to move Lena and the foals over to a field that is next to mom's but I'm going to hold off until I get some more progress least I be the next one on here saying, "OMG! They're nursing again!" Moved my gelding into the field next to the boys so they can all become acquanted through the fence line first. Over the weekend, I'm turning the gelding in with Lena & Taya; along with the Moose & JJ. It is my goal to have the gelding acclimated so that in a month when it is Taya's time to be weaned, the foals will stay with the gelding. They've done super with having a surrogate mother, so my hopes is that they will find a surrogate father with my gelding. All three kiddos follow Lena around like she's the Piped Piper and my greatest worry is that when I take her out of the equation is when all choas is going to break out. (Its always some inventive thinking on our parts to figure out ways to reduce the trauma! LOL!)

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear it Bobbi. If your gelding is the tolerate type, I think putting the boys with him will be a good thing. He will teach them to respect their elders hopefully, LOL!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, we are a small club of having foals returning to the teat-you can join us if you wish-LOL.

Glad the mastitis is gone.

Jennie, you're right. Gotta get hard hearted and get the job done! I'm still dreading it though.

I'm trying to think of ways to sneak into the Horse Unit at the college and spend the night by my colt's stall, his first night or two there. He might get himself hurt, if he gets scared. My presence might quiet him.

I dare not ask the administration if I can stay overnight, as I'm sure it will be a big "NO!" I'll just have to sneak in after the gates are locked at night. Maybe I can paint my face black and wear black clothes and no one will notice me! I don't think security drives through there very often.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: LOL! The camoflaged "mother" trick...try putting on a horse blanket and getting down on all fours...maybe they'll just mistake you for one of the barn tenants! LOL!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 769
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea Bobbi! They'll think I'm a pony!

Gave me an idea. If I can find something big enough to crawl into, set it in front of the stall to hold "supplies,"...turn it so it faces the horse-how would they know? Hummmnnn.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 847
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhh...now you're thinking. Find a trunk (like you put gear in when you're at a show), hollow out the side that would face into the stall...no one would even know. How long can you stay curled up into a ball without cramping???

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 853
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: You still around today?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 777
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I'm here. Just been busy. Some outside work and running little Poco's around with my whip to help with the swelling. Of course, he is not pleased about the whole thing.

We're expecting rain here, so had some prep work to do.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all make me laugh lol Your guy willo do very well his nights away from home in fact it will prob break your hert to see how fasdt he forgets both you and mom in that big comfy stall all to himsef with food to boot im sure. lol If you are really worried try getting him a jolly ball

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 779
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have one of those actually-just need to add air!

You're probably right Jenni. He'll probably love being around all the other horses. I'm thinking if I take him on a day that I have to be there late anyway (8-9pm) and he will get checked in on at least by 6:00am, maybe it will be okay, But I don't know. He is my first, after all!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is way harder on you than it is on him so I'll keep YOU in my thoughts lol.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you Jenni!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so when is he going lol

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US