SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How can you cover a discolored spot on a foal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » How can you cover a discolored spot on a foal? « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question that probably was never asked before, because it's rather frivilous.

Asia has to go to the Holsteiner approvals in a couple of weeks and wouldn't you know it, she is getting rather scruffy. She scraped her head near her eye about a month ago and took the hair off. It's finally starting to grow back but it's off color and it takes away from her appearance. I was wondering, I have some temporary dye that people use on their hair, can I use this on her for that small spot. It's the size of a quarter, so I wouldn't be doing a big section. I just want to color it to make her look more appealing to the judges. It probably won't make any difference, but I'm anal retentive and it would make me feel better if it's not so noticable.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Marilyn

Thank you very much

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 878
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, hair color would be the last thing I'd use....if it goes wrong, it'll discolor the hair around the spot too, and you'll have an even worse mess. If it were me, I'd try to find some of that spray on hair stuff made for men. Something that (if you mess up) you can just wash off, and try again.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a fantastic idea Diana! The chemicals in this product wouldn't hurt the foal would it?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's just hairspray, i wouldn't think so

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I never saw that type. Where do you buy it?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and you say i crack you up lol they make darkening shampoos and lightening shampoos for hrses the also makee these shampoos for all different hair colors to bring out the natural highlights they are like a gentle coloring agent. my mom is brunette with red highights a friend gave her a bottle of the stuff for red hair and it made a noticable difference in her hair. I dont know if they make an Asia shade tho

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
Go to your local feed/tack store and ask for the spray on product they use on the coat of show cattle. It comes in all coat colors and works beautifully. I've used it before on horses for touch ups and to hide gray hairs from a scar.

It comes in a spray can just like spray paint. I'm at work but will call home when I get a second and ask my husband to go look at the can and tell me what the name of it is, I want to say Champion but I'm not sure.

Phyllis Schroder
Breeding Stock
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marylin,
My husband said It's Sullivan's brand touch up. But I know they have it under a variety of brand names for show cattle and I'm sure they're all about the same.
The more coats you spray on the deeper the color gets so you would want to experiment a bit before the inspection so that you know how much you want to use.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Phyllis! I definately will do that. It takes away from her overall look when you see all these scrapes and wierd haircolor. Thank you for you help. :-)

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn use caution when coloring on the face. We just came back from a breed show and had a mare that banged her face up and the hair was starting to come in. She is a 2yr old and her hair was coming in darker. We used the men’s hair dye and it looked great at first. Then when we got to the show it had faded a little so we put a little more on. Wouldn’t you know it under lights it really showed up. The judges also frowned on it. They told us that we should just leave it. They are babies and anything can happen. They thought we were trying to hide something big. I know you are going to an inspection and not a show but you may want to cheek the rules.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good point Tahra, I never even thought of that aspect. I don't think I'd better bother with it. They know that foals will be foals and they probably see this kind of thing all the time.

It was kinda close to the eye too, which concerned me getting the product in her eye. I guess I'll leave things as they are. Thanks to all for your imput, it's good to know these things.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US