SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Broodmare prices? Help?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Broodmare prices? Help? « Previous Next »

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know nothing about the current market for well-bred Quarter Horse mares, and thought some of you may be able to help me come up with a price.

Link to her page: http://www.secretambitionstables.com/arkansassusie.htm

She was bred in 2006 and caught the first try, and it took two tries this this year. The use of oxytocin got her in foal this time around, and there was about a month there when she was bred when we were having issues with the stallion's semen (he had been shipped accross the country about 3 months before, and we thing that had an effect on his semen for that short time, as it is exceptional now). Foaling was unattended in 2007, she had no infection, or anything to make us worry.

Currently I am teaching a 9 year old girl on her, she is doing walk/trot/canter and some light trail riding. No soundness issues, it is only when she is pushed very hard (endurance riding for example, and jumping) that will cause her discomfort, but if somebody wanted to do some trail riding and light riding on her she would be fine :-)

I have her listed at $5000 in foal to my Welsh, Section A stallion. Is that fair? And how much without the foal?

I'm only selling her because I would like to get a Warmblood or TB broodmare, as it would be more suited in my breeding program.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, I would think just for the fact that she is kid safe, that you're asking a fair price! Good kid horses are not easy to find. And, it looks as if she has decent bloodlines as well. Her age might sway a couple of folks, but as long as she's not maiden, i wouldn't see the trouble with it. She's a gorgeous mare...and in foal as well?! Heck I'd buy her if I had the room. The horse market has been crap...with gas and transportation being so high. I'd advertise her like mad everywhere you can find to do so, and whether or not your price sounds fair is going to depend on the buyers. To me, a horse who's good around kids, has competed, has good bloodlines, and foals easily alone is easily worth $5000. As a matter of fact, those kinds of mares get forever homes at my place....some people won't be willing to spend as much (depending on what they plan to do with her)....I'd leave her priced that way, and be as honest as possible with people to find her an ecellent home....just depends on how long you want to sit on her waiting for the sale. i'd think if you put her at $3500 , that'd be a great "quick sale" number. But, I have been in the market for a pony mare for my kids, and it ain't cheap! (about $6500) for a dead broke "been there done that" horse you can trust. (that's with no foal)

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently bought an AQHA 13 yo nicely bred 16+ hand gray mare at a dispersal auction. A few breeders reducing their herds. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/zip+n+run
I did some research she has had 6 foals over the years. They sold her gentle for anyone and as a trail horse. I have only been on her once so far, she needs some work, but she doesnít seem to have any buck. (you never know buying through a auction) She is very friendly and mannerly on the ground. My point is I only gave $450 for her. She has Zippo Pine Bars on her papers, and Sonny Dee Bars is only 1 off her papers top & bottom side. There were many well bred brood mares selling $300 to $900. Most were not broke, had just been broodmares.
I agree a bomb proof kids horse is worth their weight in gold. It just sucks this horse market is in the dump.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given your location you might get that personaly I think your to high given her lameness issue.† Even tho it rarely bothers her its going to push a lot of ppl away? I just bought a very well bred mare for 350$ shes only 14.1 and been there done that and my 6yr old daughter rides her the mare is 8 unfortunately I didnt get her papers but thats not what I got her for. I sold a foundation bred king mare for 1000 anyone could ride her shed work a cow or go up the trail of course the prices in CA are always dbl what they are here I think 3500 for the pkg will sell her.† I hope you get your 5 grand tho it is possible

(Message edited by bugrace2000 on September 02, 2008)

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh ps I did here a little rumor that the reservations were going to open up† slaughter houses if they do horses will go back up. Any one else hear anything about this?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 725
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not heard anything about the slaughter houses opening back up. We just had an article run this weekend in the paper regarding more and more horses being abandoned and left at homes, sale barns or put on the internet for free due to people not being able to afford them. All of the horse shelters are full in Missouri and are not accepting anymore abused or abandoned animals. Scary!

I guess it is an "area/location" thing because I think $5,000 is a fair price but I seriously doubt anyone would pay that in my area. I have my foals listed for $2,000 each and they have great bloodlines and are nicely built foals and after over 150 looks at them, I have yet to have someone offer anything yet. Fortunately, I don't HAVE to sell them and I'll keep them until whenever until I get the price I want for them. I can tell you that I bought all of my foundation registered stock for $1,000 or less as a direct result of the bad horse market (people just couldn't afford them any longer) and they are all broke to death broodmares . I won't own a broodmare that isn't rideable (just a personal choice as I have a large family that likes to ride...we have to have rideable broodmares so that they satisfy both sides of our needs).

I think the horse market is a serious issue for all of us. The rising cost of gas has hurt many of the smaller scale horse show/horse competitors and they are standing still with purchasing future show horses as they've cut back on their selection of events. I've even advertised my solid APHA foal that is Seattle Slew bloodlines in the racing industry thinking $2,000 isn't much for someone to take a chance on a racing career for but evidently even they aren't in the buying mode as well.

As sad as it is, my friend who is deeply rooted and involved in TB racing says that the end of slaughter horses has had a huge impact on their industry as well. They have TB's who haven't made it in the racing world that owners/trainers can't even give away.

My latest newspaper article has many notations in it from my old veterinarian who now practices in the Oklahoma area and he states that many of his clients are getting out of the breeding business due to the stall of the horse market. Its costing more to run a breeding program than what they can now market the product for.

I'm just hoping that in the near future, we see some sort of happy ending for the market. I also found out (and I had no idea of this) that Missouri has twice the number of horses in state than Kansas...wow...puts my market right in the ole trash bin!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in arkansas and buy and horses are CHEAP here I had a Sonny D Bar paint mare 5 yr old kid broke utd on everything offered to me for 800$ I turned it down bc of the market. I hate to SAY THIS AND i Always try and make the best out of my babies and place them in good homes but we really need the market to open back up. Its hurting even the lg operations more less the small ones I wanted to show my 2 yr old stallion but am thinking of gelding him bc of the market and lack of funds to show him

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni I wish someone would offer me a deal like the one you got on the paint mare! I need a mare like that.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

email me what your looking for I pick up a ton of them if I want them sometimes I sell them for other ppl to. I turn a lot down unless I know i can have it sold quickly so email what your looking for and if i come across one ill pick it up and pass her on to you.
I find a lot of mares that are preg but no info on daddy ppl are letting them go without saying anythng about them being preg.

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes the market is bad especially here in oklahoma where they are selling horses by the hundred bc nobody wants the backyard breeding experiments that are selling at about 20 dollars a horse....other than that my nice paint broodmare is green broke and i bought her in foal for 175 dollars although she is not the prettiest mare in the herd she has great bloodlines and her 2 month old foal is NICE with the big butt everybody wants in their reining and cutting lines she really out produced herself

mama and baby

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn157/ladybugsfax/ace%20one%20and%20a%20half% 20months%20old/?action=view&current=DSC02038.jpg

baby
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn157/ladybugsfax/ace%20one%20and%20a%20half% 20months%20old/?action=view&current=DSC02048.jpg

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to the tulsa sale and to the sallisaw, ok sale alot Ive seen Awsomely broke (dig a hole with a piece of twine broke) well bred mares 4-10 yrs old sell for 400 and less good foals bring about 75-125. average foals will bring about 20 -50 bucks. Breeding right now for the money just isnt going to happen im collecting now and praying the market goes up
Awsome baby nice muscle

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Market is the same here in Missouri. Sad, sad, sad!

By the way Jenni...when I was a jockey, I used to race in Salisaw, OK...

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minnesota market is poor as well! I am hoping my 09 foal is a colt... because I dont know that I will get my breeding costs out of a filly! ( i will keep it if it is a colt)

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i bought her at the bristow oklahoma sale though i live in cushing it is the closest big sale. there are not very many horses there that dont go to slaughterhouses in mexico. so i felt the need that i should buy the mare bc i might get a good baby out of her and i did so maybe i got lucky.......................horses are also sold by the pound there i also train horses for myself or for friends so i often buy 2 year olds there

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats cool Bobbi I didnt know you jockeyed. very cool.
I hope you get your colt Kris.

The same is with horses in sallisaw most are mexico bound.
Joplin is also a cheap sale to buy good stock.

I did find out that it is not totally ilegal for a slaughter house to open here but the few states that have tried have been unable to get the funds to do so

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 710
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, I bought my QH mare, very well bred (Doc Bar and more) in foal to a very nice stallon who has done well in eventing. She has had tons of training and was pasture sound when I got her. She was 18 years old and a proven broodmare. I paid $1800.00 for her. To me, it was a steal! I've seen most people asking at least $3500.00 for comparable or even less, horse. No idea if they sell.

I am going to the auction Sunday, to buy a saddle for my new riding horse, and will be interested in seeing what the prices are.

I wish you the best in selling her. If a child can still ride her, even if limited, that ought to help. She is a very nice looking mare, that's for sure!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, just might as well mention that all of these awesome prices that people are posting are from auctions. And while yes, anyone can go to an auction and pick up a nice horse....most people don't. Many people don't know you can find nice ones there, and then are skeptical about underlying problems. Most people search the paper or online for horses. and you'll never see horses priced the way you have found them at auctions when advertised online or in the paper.
Regardless of what everyone else paid at auction for their horses, go online, look at the sales sites, and offer your mare accordingly. From looking for horses myself, I'd probably say you're very close to the right price range. Someone will get a very nice foal out of her. Heck, I can sell a mini for $4000 online with just photos....they don't DO anything, and don't have any special events or attributes....they're just cute, with good bloodlines. Don't ask me why.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: I'm moving to where you are! LOL! I put my babies online and compared my prices to others from Missouri. There are many folks on their wanting $5,000 for their weanlings and to be honest, they're pretty crappy looking, and I can't even get a bite. Go figure!

Auctions are a great place to get a deal or real mess that's for sure. I won't buy from an auction unless I happen to know the individuals who are selling. I've only bought one of my current herd that way and its because I just happened to know this mare was coming. I actually went to pick up an Appy mare but it went alot higher than what I was willing to pay for what I thought she was worth. Echo was my second choice but worked out well...she's a heck of a barrel racer!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, you make a good point. In my case, I didn't buy my mare from an auction. But regardless, she was a steal.

Maybe we should all start raising minis, huh? LOL. They are adorable!

Samantha, I'd say advertise and see what happens. Good luck to you and let us know, okay? I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is true that the advertised market is higher than the auction market but horses are still cheap where i am at however minis are easily worth twice what big horses are worth i dont know why but they are. and as sad as this is yes i can buy these horses out of the paper and privately at these prices. I didnt buy but one of mine thru the auction and she is now being used for special needs children. on average tho the private market here is only averaging 100-300 above what they might bring at auction.

Samantha given your location you can prob get 5000 out of her besides you can always come down but you can never go up. Good luck and I hope she sells high and quick for you

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your help everybody!

Okay, so I'll leave her price at 5k negotiable to excellent home :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree you donít know what you are getting when you buy thru an auction, but I have to say I have bought over Ĺ dozen horses thru the years at auctions, and have done well with them. I myself do not sell at the auctions; I advertise on-line and have usually gotten what I was asking or close to it, and I can visit with potential buyer to see if I feel good about how the horse will be treated. I also feel if someone pays more they usually have the means to care for the horse, but then again that is not a guarantee.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 717
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you are right Linda, that buying at a higher price doesn't mean they have more money to take care of them, but I think it would make me feel better about it. One can only hope.

But there are a lot if little people like me who don't have a lot, but give them really good care and love them. I can't relax if I think I've neglected anything with them. LOL

How do you get so lucky at the auctions, Linda? Do you take a vet along to check them out? I've heard so much about medicated horses and lame horses and so on, that appear okay at the auction, then turn up lame.

I've seen a few yearlings, but no babies, at the auctions. Do you see a lot where you live? I'm thinking my baby needs a buddy, so if I could get one cheap I might. But then again, there is the concern of disease.

Anyway, I'm glad it has worked out for you and those fine horses got a good home.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I frequent the aucions and over the years have bought over 100 horses.
What I do is get there early a cpl of hours before the sale and look all the horses over the ones im interested in i right down there tag number and what im willing to pay for it. By look one over I mean ride it if its supposed to be broke pick up all four feet, check the teeth and gums. any sign of glazed eyes, sore back, heat, or a gelding that hangs out all the time i scratch off the list. I may have 15 horses on my list but will only buy 1 or 2 sometimes none. I have never bought a bad horse this way. I do not sell at the auctions and my current stock didnt come from the auctions but i do go alot just to go and I used to buy a lot of stock thru the auctions
Find a reputable sale the Billings Livestock sale in montana guarantees the horses you buy there they arent the only sale that does this. Sallisaw OK doesnt guarantee and a lot of fixed horses do go thru there. Joplin MO and Tulsa OK however are fairly reputable.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also try and look them over before the sale. I try and visit with the owners before hand, you can usually get a feel if they are horse traders or honest. The honest ones will usually guarantee soundness or a ride out back, after the sale. We haven't had many sales where I am lately. 1 or 2 open sales a year and a few catolog sales. Also if it is a papered horse see if you can view papers on the older ones, if they have had lots of owners you probably want to pass.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 723
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the livestock and tack sale today. OMG! Beautiful horses, many registered, and some registered and bred, going for $400-$600. I mean, many very rideable horses, some started and some seasoned.

I had to sit on my hands to keep from bidding on a nicely papered, very nice weanling, blue roan filly. She sold for $500.00. In my opinion, that was a steal.

One couple came from out of state to sell because they had heard that CA. pays well for horses with color. LOL. Their truck blew up on the way over. They were good sports, but I think they were disappointed in the prices they got for the horses and I sure can't blame them. I felt for them. They had many great horses, inc. the blue roan. It's just sad.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 727
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, I just realized my last post might sound like it was aimed at your post about pricing your broodmare. Not at all! These are auctioned horses and I do believe there is a big difference between their market value and their auctioned value.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip I have to sit on my hands as well or id be in deep trouble I go but its really hard for me not to bid especialy when on ocassion i still think of them being worth what they were a few yrs ago. Id have given my eye teeth for some of them that are selling for under 1000. Private sales are higher tho Thank goodness

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you Jenni. My second choice was a six year old buckskin, pedigreed mare that any one could ride. The owner even rode bareback with reins loosely around her neck and he got off and crawled on hands and knees under her. A child could ride her and she was papered too! It just kills me! But I have no more room here for another horse right now. But when I move-well, we'll see! LOL

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 766
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, just wondering how your selling price is working out on your broodmare? Any bites?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US