SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

VERY skinny rescue horse what can I do?!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » VERY skinny rescue horse what can I do?! « Previous Next »

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all! I have been rescuing horses and other animals since I was about 11 years old (now being almost 20) I have done all the work practically by myself but recently I picked up a little 20month old paint gelding that was given to a freind of mine.. To start where it began,my firend called on a horse that was free to a "good" home well she wanted him and was going to have me pick him up for her the owners of the poor guy at the time didnt want a shipper coming to get him so they brought him to her when he arrived at her house the people shoved him out of the trailer and he fell from being so weak! Well about a week into he got a little expensive for them so they gave him to me.I got there to pick him up and me and 3 others had to literally pick him up to get him in the trailer he couldnt support himself enough to load on his own.to put on top of everything else his hip stifle and ankle were all out of place! I WAS FURIOUS!! well we took him directly to the vet whom didnt think he would make it one week let alone 2 months (We have had him approx 2 months)he ws improving greatly and still is but is having trouble walking again. The MSM the doc put him on has stopped working.. I dont know what to do for him. He is a kind gentil horse that has ALOT of fight in him. He has come too far to let him go now.. Any suggestions?? Here are some pics of him.. (OH the first owners that shoved him out of the trailer are now in coustody for animal abuse and neglect! YAY HE WINS!!!)I will get more pics tonight when I feed..There are too many pics so here is the link to his album on photobucket

!!!WARNING!!! THIS HORSE IS EXTREAMLY POOR!!!

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Lucky/

Joyce
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH DEAR GOD! Bless you girl!! If I were you, I would e-mail info@ac4h.com
www.ac4h.com is the most amazing rescue!
Someone there will help you!!!!!They thrive on this stuff!!

Wish I could help!

Joyce

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1814
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary~ He is very thin but horses are amazing what they will endure at human hands but still respond to TLC and groceries. He is standing on all fours, which is good, his feet look like that need to be tended to, may take a few light trimmings to get them worked out, not a big hacking away, and have his teeth checked and floated. My experience with rescues is they have not had routine dental, shots, worming. So under a vets advice get his teeth done, shots, and wormed and you will be surprised how he will bounce back. Thinking of you!

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce,
Thank you so much I will be sure to e-mail them. I am wanting to keep him so that when I have kids they can groom and play with him. Right now I hope they can give me some advice on this. He isnt the first one I have gotten in this condition but he is the first to stop progressing normally. Thank you again!

Jan,
we have trimmed him once and he has some really bad hoof rot and thrush, He had to lay down for his first trim and still cannot stand on his own while having hoof work done,Should I let him lay down again? They are getting a little long in the toe again so he does need it but I am also thinking it may not be safe as he almost didnt survive the first trim. The worst thing is he is only a baby, he is 2 months shy of being 2 years old now. My vet looked him over and his teeth are good but he doesnt want to vaccinate him just yet as his immune system hasnt recuperated completely from all the infection. He has been wormed as of about 3 weeks ago by my vet. Thank you for your response!!

Here are some pics from this evening he was really tired and swollen tonight.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Lucky/07-16-08_1822.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Lucky/07-16-08_1825.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Lucky/07-16-08_1824.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Lucky/07-16-08_1823.jpg

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has the face of an angel!!! Poor fellow. I have NEVER seen such a poor little starved body. I pray for him and god bless you. I hope your tender loving care will help him.

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohh mary i feel his pain clear over here! I wish i could just give him some fat off my girls-lord knows they have each have at least a few hundered pounds to spare! He looks so sad. Are you looking for something to help his joints my stud had spetic artritis at a young age. I give him activex its the only product that seems to help with everything joint related (swelling-heat-pain-repair)and its extreamly cheap!

So glad they got the people responsible. I wish they could do to them what they did to this poor creature!

what do his feet look like? you might ahve to weight if they arent that bad and not hurting him. A little long is alot better then hurting him trying to fix them!
I dont know how your money situation is but you might try to start a donation fund on liek e-bay for him! I know i would donate a few bucks for him.

Joyce
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes Mary, I didn't mean to send him off to the rescue, but Christy is the most amazing rescuer with a ton of experience with these kinds of cases! Go to their website, You will see what I mean. I'm sure they will help you with every bit of advise you will need to help your poor boy. What a lucky horse he is. :-)

God bless you!!

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina,
I will see if our feed store has the Activex for him if not my vet should have it.. I dont think it is his feet bothering him, but you cant tell as we have to walk him for about 5 or 10 minutes before he will actually walk on his own. They do just look like they are a little long. How would I set up the donations on e-bay? Just an auction or? Thank you for such awesome ideas!

Joyce,
I e-mailed the rescue last night but have not gotten a response but its ok I know they are really busy.. Thank you!!!

I will try to get some more pictures tonight I will be giving him a bath so he ought to look really cute! He loves his baths..

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I if you got come cheap thankyou cards you could like sell a thankyou card or even just an email-card to people if you explane your story and that you need assistance with his medical costs and that the person could buy a the ecard (like and email with a thankyou and a picture of him!!!) jsut a simple picture uploaded with a neat little message for liek 3 dollers or something little (ebay and paypal have fees!!!)i think you can do a donation but that way the people would feel like you were really cared about what they were giveing you! jsut a thought.

i had to buy it online... this is the cheapest place and shipping is free but there is a like a 5 doller fee for anything less then $40 dollers. most everything on there site is free shipping. this would last him $60 days for like $30 i swear buy it!

http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=40838&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscs sid=08F5E7843BF94499826481A2FE54E5B3
you might try some liek aniprin (asprin) on a lite schedual. We do this for mine when ever i work him hard or trailer for a distance as his legs get painful.

(Message edited by newyearsbaby05 on July 17, 2008)

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Black_opal

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! He reminds me of my half arab mare, Stella! In fact, I just updated the thread on her. It's called "Advice Needed from Arab Owners" and you can see her before pics (not nearly as bad as your guy, though) and how she looks today. Hopefully seeing how fat and happy she is now will give you some hope.

Good for you for taking him in! It'll be a long road, but it'll be worth it and he will forever be grateful to you.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 665
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a horse seen on one if the "Animal Cop" shows. Poor thing. Thank-goodness he has you. I wish him the best. I like the idea of getting donations. If you get something set up, please let us know.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now I am trying to set up an bank account for him at my bank. He is slowly starting to progress again. I will be getting more photos of him soon! Thank you all for your help, I will let you know as soon as I get the account set up. Thank you SOOOO MUCH!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary have faith I recently aquired a horse in his same condition I guess its been about a month now and you wouldnt beleive its the same horse. He even got snake bit in the process. Poor guy. I would look into an equine chiropractor and Linda Tellingtons T-Touch for horses. she is a very accomplished lady and worth a read. If you can fix his hip I think it'll be clear sailing the rest of the way. Be sure you dont feed him to much to fast or you can really hurt him. Good Luck and God Bless him!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 678
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this poor fellow has blessedly passed onto a better place, but as I read the last post from Jennie, I just wondered about an episode on animal cops that I saw.

A weanling colt had a knee out of place. They had to fix it surgically, because the owner had done nothing about it for 8 long months!

But later, it was determined that he had a hip problem too. Now I don't know if this is what Lucky had, but on the show they said the vets could not fix it. They said they have tried to do so with other horses, but so far, do not have the technology to correct it. I believe in this case, the hip was also out place. These horses have to be euthenized.

I bring this up for two reasons: One is of course, to pass on information. The other is to ease the mind of all who were pulling for Lucky. He might have recovered in other ways, only to have to be put down in the end.

Obviously, this in no way excuses the previous owners.

R.I.P., little guy.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US