SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Training?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Training? « Previous Next »

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock
Username: America

Post Number: 482
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well i will be back home from visiting my mom in about a month.
We are building a nice size round pen about 60'. and my dad is clearing everything out of the barn so i can ride her during the winter. (she will have something smaller to go in during the winter though)
Any way, i have read that when you do ground work with a horse you lounge them.
Well i have never lounged a horse, and i dont think sandy has ever been lounged. So i dont really know how to do that.
Could someone tell me how you are suppose to do that? I have also never used a whip, what kind would be best. After she is used to be ridden again and listens while being ridden im going to teach her to jump. Do i need a different whip for that.
please help! i want to start riding her again, but i also need her to listen. Will a 60' be big enough to ride her around in? I will not ride her out side it till i know she will listen, and when i feel we are both ready.
I hope its ok that i ask it here, i just really need some help.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erica, I think the best thing for you to do is take lessons but if you can't do that then I recommend reading lots of books and watching some good training DVD's. It's really hard to explain over the internet and it's better to see someone do it.

Good luck and let us know how you do :-)

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 483
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy.
I think i would be at a lost if she wasnt already trained.
She is fine bareback.
But my dad told me he was going to get me into lessons, and im going to try to get a job at the stables down the road, that way i can watch and learn and its something i like doing. and its just a few miles from me.
Thanks again. Hey i wonder if youtube has any good vids lol. this one girl said she was going to make me vids of how she is going to train her horse to jump, so im excited to watch that. i dont think it will take sandy long before she is back and use to being riden. but it may take me a while before i ride out side the safty of the round pen. lol

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Working at a barn is the best way to learn things, that's how I started. I worked for many years at a dressage barn and learned all the basics and eventually how to train horses. I got free lessons for my work and continued to better my riding.

I would be careful watching videos on Youtube because anyone can post there, it doesn't mean they really know what they are doing. I hope you get to work at that barn and have lessons because it really is the best way to learn. Good luck! :-)

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 484
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks again tracy!
yea my dad promised me he would get me into lessons. So im really excited!

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erica, I don't know if you noticed yet or not but Marilyn has posted in the July foal watch thread that Dora had her foal but they had to put Dora down. She's obviously devastated but I'm sure would love to hear from you.

Erica, loves Sandy!
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 485
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, no i havent been able to read them latly, ive been busy this summer.
OMG how terriable! Is she still posting? When did this happen?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US