SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mane & Tail Chewing

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Mane & Tail Chewing « Previous Next »

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 513
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone else having issues with their foals chewing off the mom's manes and tails??

Both of my foals are doing it to their mom's, as well as, their surrogate mother.

I have three mares that now have long manes except for the mid neck which is now chewed off to QH show length.

I noticed this weekend that tails are getting shorter and shorter all the time. They appear to have found THAT hair as well.

I will have bald horses soon if I can't figure out how to deter my foals from hair chewing!

Anyone have suggestions or methods to stop this behavior?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 571
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, keeping show sheen or linament in the tail usually does it... yucky for baby!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Ohhh...thank you! I had put fly spray on the the mane and the tail and it hadn't seemed to deter them. Hahaha! Blossom's tail was down to her hocks last week, now its about 4 inches above her knee! I figured if they get chewing it off and reached the tail bone, mom would give them a quick boot and stop the behavior but in the meantime, they just all look pitiful!

I have a bottle of Show Sheen so I'll give it a good shot! Thanks!

Beth Walker
Yearling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I have never tried the show sheen, but if it does not work I always have had luck with mixing a little tabasco sauce with baby oil and putting it in the mares manes and tails. The tabasco taste really bad and the baby oil will help keep it in the hair. When using it in the tail I never place it on the tail bone, or go up above the tail bone. Good luck, hopefully you can stop it before they are bald.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard of a concoction of conditioner, water and vinegar. Leave it in , it conditions the mane and tail and vinegar helps with flies, and babies. Equal parts of all.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 519
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all so much for all these different ideas.

Beth: You are so right...I had to figure out something because every mane on every mare is like 2 inches in length, with the base of the mane and the portion by the top of the neck line are like 20 inches in length...hahaha...they look absolutely ridiculous and OMG...it will take me forever to get them evened out. I guess I'm stuck pulling manes until it is all the same length and then hope that it grows fast.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,
Babies will chew and mommas seem to always catch the brunt of it. I keep a spray bottle (recycled from a "Chew Stop" bottle --- that did absolutely NO good!) filled with mostly water and enough hot sauce (Texas Pete) to make the horses "sit up and take notice". Spray the mare's mane and tail with it and then shake it out really good and most of the stuff will drip off, but there will be enough left on the hair that when the little bugger grabs hold --- YIKES! And the baby will definitely have a "bit of a time" figuring out how to get that taste out of its mouth. The water trough starts looking really good!

As a side note, I shake the tail out REALLY good and typically put fly repellent on the mare's hind end really good so she not swishing her tail all around and getting the hot sauce solution all over her udder before it drys in her tail good. You may want to monitor that situation just in case baby seems to think udder is "off limits" too, but I've never had a problem by shaking the mare's tail out really good and letting it "air dry" for a bit and keeping her tail swishing down to a minimum by applying fly repellent.

This also works for cribbers and wood-chewers. Honestly I have never found a "store-bought" product that works as well as hot sauce. I mix it up pretty strong for spraying on fence boards, etc. I have one mare that one of her vices (among several) was cribbing. (Of course the seller never mentioned it).

Thankfully, she isn't a real "dedicated" cribber but does it enough to annoy the heck out of you if you have to be around her for any length of time. I mixed water and Texas Pete about half and half and sprayed down every board in her stall/run that she appeared to even think about latching onto...she didn't do it anymore! Bless her heart, right off the bat, she latched onto one of her "favorite" boards in her stall really good --- and got the queerest look on her face and started salivating and licking her tongue in and out of her mouth and honest to gosh she finally just stuck her muzzle in her water trough and literally kept it there for several minutes, ate a bite of hay, then back to the water trough. She has literally quit it. If she does seem to be nosing about a board, I will bring out the hot sauce spray bottle and spray it and I think the smell alone now is enough to keep her off it.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 643
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, how is it working? My colt is chewing my mare's mane, although he lets her tail alone. Have a photo of him under her tail and he looks like a horse with a lion's mane! Pretty funny.

Anyway, what are you using and what works best for you? I'd love to see my mare's mane again! LOL

And while on the subject of chewing, is there any product for foals to chew on-like we do for dogs?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Ummm...not much is working. I used Show Sheen but that only seems to deter them for a few hours...hahaha...the Fly Spray seems to work better. I've been soaking the mares' manes and tails with that. Mouthy little creatures, aren't they??? Its like having an 18 month baby who sticks everything in their mouth!

I don't know of any products, but I can tell you mine seem to just be satisfied walking around with their little plastic feed buckets in their mouth, or tree branches, or whatever else they can get themselves into! HAHAHA!

Would LOVE to see your picture of the baby under the tail! Post it up!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 658
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try Bobbi-I have so much trouble posting pics, but the pic of him under her tail is pretty cute.

My little one likes to take the fly spray cloth I use for their faces and chew on it. Of course he doesn't let me use it on his face much- but he'll carry it around in his mouth! Go figure. He also wants to mouth my clothes, but I don't let him. I've seen him pick up other things too. Funny guy!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US