SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mares / horses not sweating

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Mares / horses not sweating « Previous Next »

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a couple of older mares that are not sweating. Both have cushings and are on pergolide. One mare is just breathing really hard and I was concerned she was going to have a heart attack. I've been rinsing her off 3 times a day with cold water. Told my vet about it and he told me to mix 1/2 cup of used coffee grinds, 3 tablespoons of Lite salt, and 3 tablespoons of powdered gatorade in their feed and give it 2 times a day. I remember a couple of years ago we had a yearling that wouldn't sweat and I used the same thing plus a can of warm beer and it worked!

Diane Loveday
Nursing Foal
Username: Dianeluv

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, I have a horse with anhydrous (non sweater) I use a product called OneAC it is very effective, cost is about 22.00 and it lasts for 5-6 weeks.

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane,
Thanks, I have also used the same product.

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make shure when you hose her off that you wipe the exes water off. To many people forget that and the horses body just warms up the water and they stay warm. When you whipe it of they cool alot faster.

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Tahra I know about wiping the excess water off. I have been doing this for so many years it just comes natural! I have also put the 2 mares in stalls with fans during the heat of the day and turning them out at night.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 478
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul: I have that problem with one of my mares as well. It is always a struggle through the summer to keep her from overheating. When you find a miracle antidote, please let me know as well. Ha! Ha!

Please keep me posted on how your "concoction" works out. If you have success with that recipe, I'd like to try it out on my mare as well. I hate to change her diet too much as she is my mare that tends to colic as well. But if this works out for you, I'd be game to give it a try. Thanks!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im glad you do know that. You would be surprised at how many "horse People" don't know that. I asked a freind who has a horse like this. She has usded the "One AC" product and likes it. She also hoses, fans, and just this year put in a mister over the fan. So far her gelding has been doing well. Just a thought.

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Tahra I also have the fan misters going on both the mares! AND myself..lol as far as the One AC goes, yes I have used it, yes it works, but this concoction that I am using is cheaper in the long run and it also works! I really hate this time of year when its so darn hot...heck I might even try some of it on myself! LOL

Bobbi, it does work really well. The mares didn't quite like it at first but now they are licking their buckets clean and are sweating really good. The gatorade is also good for electroyletes.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul: Wow...thanks for being the guinea pig. I'm going to give it a try. My mare that issues with sweating, will sweat, but she doesn't break into a sweat until she surpasses a heat threshold. If that makes any sense. By the time she actually breaks into a sweat, at all, she's blowing pretty heavy. I'm going to try this.

Can you use this on pregnant mares? I wasn't sure if this something you used on your open mares or prego mares.

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, the 2 mares that are on it, one of them is pregnant. I've used this recipe a few years ago and it worked well. I'm using everything but the warm beer on the mares! Gatorade acts as the electrolytes and the Lite salt will help them to keep drinking water, and you don't want them to get dehydrated in this hot weather either. not sure what the coffee has to do with it! but my vet swears by this concoction!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 627
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, one more thing for a novice to ask. When you are talking about not sweating, are you referring only to horses that are being worked?

My mare hardley sweats at all, when just grazing, even in 106 degree weather. I sprinkled her and colt with water today as best I could, since she refused to let me catch her.

I'm putting an electrolyte replacer in her food, but wonder if it is necessary if she doesn't sweat? I've read that it can irritate the stomache. Any ideas?

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj,
I'm talking about horses in general actually.
Horses that have been worked or horses just out in the pasture in this heat SHOULD sweat no matter what. These are just 2 older mares out grazing. All the other horses are sweating, even the foals but these 2 are not.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul: I just want you to know that you just sort of "thumped me in the head." My mare was in the pond yesterday stomping her front feet to cool herself off (because she doesn't sweat so well of course) and as I was readying the updated posts, I had one of those "Oh Crap" moments when I realized that I had moved her to the maternity paddock that I didn't bring her salt block with her! She just hovers over that thing when its gets hot/humid! I can't believe I forgot something as simple and stupid as to not bring her salt with her!

And I just guessing here, but I believe coffee is a diuretic (spelling?) and increases fluid intake and fluid output??? Just a "maybe" thought on the coffee additive purpose.

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, bobbi, bobbi, shame on you for forgetting the salt block!! LOL

in the pastures we keep the salt blocks by the water troughs!

also another thing we do with the horses in the stalls is, we put salt and minerals in with their feed everyday and also add electrolytes to their water buckets. every horse in the stalls have 2 water buckets and we are filling them up at least 3 times a day! this heat is just ridiculous!
and yeah i believe you are right about the coffee! i have been going down to the corner store asking for their 'used' coffee grinds! lol they think im nuts!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul: Hahahaha! Yes, I had a dumbell moment. We had used the maternity field after the two maidens for our two cows that were due so I had moved the salt block over and replaced it with a cattle mineral block. Hahaha! I'm thinkin' that my mare went, "Heeeyyy...what's this junk? Yewwww...its got cow slobbers on it!"

She gets a good mineral in her feed as well, but I sure did forget the salt! Our heat and humidity is just ridiculous as well. There is no such thing as Spring anymore, it just moves from Winter to Summer.

That's pretty funny about the coffee grinds! They probably think that you're some poor hobo who can't afford a cup of coffee so you just need to run a little water through their used grounds! Hahaha! Not near as embarrassing as walking into your crowded pharmacy and asking where you can find the personal lubricant and the latex gloves though...THAT was somewhat humiliating when I turned around and saw all the people staring at me. Of which, I stumbled all over myself, explaining to perfect strangers that my horse was going to have a baby. (I don't think they believed me!)

The funniest thing I ever heard of was my friend (and former vet tech buddy) was helping another friend deliver her puppies at their home and one was stuck so she asked her if she had any personal lubricant and she ran in the bedroom and brought out some scented/flavored lubricant that was NOT exactly what she needed. My friend was just in hysterics while the other friend was quite, um, shall we say proceeded to turn a dark shade of red.

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh Bobbi that is funny!
the funny thing here is when i go to the dollar store before foaling time and stock up on the enemas!!! i can tell by the look on peoples faces that they are thinking "this man has a problem" then i tell them it for the horses and they kinda look like 'yeah right' LOL

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean by embarrassment. I feed my horses metamucil for sand so I go to Walmart and buy the extra big jugs and in bulk to stock up. THey must really think "this lady has a REAL problem".

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul & Kay: I'm dying from laughing so hard! THAT is hysterical!

Isn't soooo funny how we feel the need to explain ourselves to perfect strangers?!?!

Paul, I know that look too...the whole "yeah right" look. Makes you feel even more stupid after we've blurted out some lame excuse that its "for my horse"...hahaha

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, you guys are too too funny!!! I can just imagine what people are thinking. lol

We have a ton of sand here and our vet recommended using selium for pigs. It's cheap and easy to use. It comes in a 25 lb bag. Does anyone else use this stuff? Metamucil is sooooo expensive! If anyone is interested, I could tell you the name of it. But not now, I'd have to go home and check. :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use a monthly dosing of Sand Clear for my horses in So.CA.....and I add loose salt to their supplements to encourage drinking in the heat and the cold....

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 511
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is so odd for me to hear Marilyn & Jan talk about sand issues.

Wow...guess that's what I get for living in the midwest...didn't have a clue that sand was that big of an issue.

I have used the Sand Clear on my horses that come right off the track because they use sand as "bedding" at the race tracks. I have, actually, had a horse that I bought right off the track who had a bought of sand colic. I was just blown away when I had to order Sand Clear (certainly not something we keep handy on the shelves in my local area!)...I was amazed that they made a product like that. If you were to say Sand Colic in this area...people would look at you and say....WHAT?!?!

But on the every day basis, I'm just amazed how you guys deal with that chronic problem. I see (and have been educated now) on your remedy solutions and just out of curiosity...do you feed these types of metamucil/sand clear/other concoctions on a daily basis? I had no idea you could feed Metamucil to a horse. Somthing new everyday!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbie you are too funny :-) The first week of every month my horses get their dose of Sand Clear with their supplements just to keep them clean. I am in the Los Angeles area and we do have a lot of sand (and rocks :-)) in our area. My horses live near a wash area loaded with sand. Not that they are stalled on sand they have mats and shavings in their stalls but the daily turnout area does have a lot of sand in the "dirt". So around here it is "in stock" at the feed store.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I give mine the Walmart Equate brand of Psyllium equivalent to metamucil.. It is cheaper and supposedly the same ingredients. Psyllium is just fiber of some sort. I do give it daily but some give it for a week out of each month but in larger doses like the sand clear directions. I've asked several vets and read an article and the research doesn't show much difference. So I thought daily will not upset anyones bodily functions too much. But Marilyn, if you can get me the name I'll look into it. It's probably all the same thing.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan: Hahaha! I guess I better not relocate to anywhere in the US but here, heck, I'd kill my horses in a month!

Do you folks that live in "sandy" dirt areas find that there are higher incidences of colic? I'm just curious, its that whole higher learning thing.

I can't even imagine. Hey, I wonder if because you have sand in your dirt if you have less problems with joints/impact injuries?? (Scary how my mind just jumps all over the place with new information)

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay,whats the name of the psyllium you get from wal mart,where is it in the store??

Bobbi,i was told when i moved to my sand dune,that i need to make sure i gave the horses something like sand clear so they wont colic,1 pony colic within 6 months but was ok,the rest knock on wood have never colic,its been 5 yrs.i have mats under and around every feeder.

Paul Liberty
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we use the sand clear also. some of our pastures can get pretty sandy/dirt when we dont get any rain. i also go out and check for sand colic in the feces...i take a palpation sleeve and pick up a few 'balls' of poop, then turn the sleeve inside out and add water to it and then hang it on something. if there is sand in the poop, it will sink to the bottom of the fingers on the palpation sleeve.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stuff we use for the sand is called ADM Psyllium powder. We live in an area in Northwest Indiana that used to be swamp land. Way back in the early 1920's the government had huge ditches put in so the land could drain and be used for farm land. So actually we're in water bottom, which is why we have nothing but sand, sand and more sand.

The horses here have problems with contracted soles. With sand there isn't the hard surface to cause some joint problems, but there are tendon issues. So I guess there's problems wherever you go, just different problems.

I used to use Sand Clear and it works wonderfully, it's just expensive. My product works well and much much cheaper.

It's not made for horses, but I was told by my vet that psyllium is psyllium and it wouldn't hurt them whatsoever. So far I haven't had one horse colic, knock on wood.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 473
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

marilyn,what kind of psyllium do you have??did you get it from the feed store??i like yours because its cheaper?everything is starting to really add up,i bought 4 bales of orchard grass today and it was $100.00,that really hurts!!tommarrow i get to go buy alfalfa,i think its 18.95 a bale.

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Sandblast. It works great, and I buy it from valleyvet.com for 16.95. I also check for sand in their feces like Paul. I just take a couple of balls from a few different piles,(make sure you get them from the top), so there isn't any sand sticking to them already. I put them in a small bucket. Then I put a little water in, enough to break up the balls. After it settles, I then run water in the bucket(not to hard), until all the light stuff floats over the sides. The only thing remaining is the sand. If you have a Tablespoon or more, then you need to give them Sandblast, or something equivilent to it.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We buy ours from a Farm Feed Supply. We ask them to order it for us. It comes in a 25 lb bag and cost about $30.00. It lasts about a year for 4 horses. You use very little on top of grain once a day for a week per month.

If anyone does buy it, I'll let you know the amount my vet says to use. I've been using it for 4 years now and no problems. I also do a fecal check and there's extremely little to no sand each time. I've also had the vet send feces in to be tested and never a problem.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That does sound cheaper. I use the large white plastic jug of Equate Fiber Therepy , heaping tablespoon every day in their feed. It cost about 2/3 of metamucil @ 7.00$/ month I believe for 3 horses. Its located in the laxative area of the pharmacy.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK,thats all good info,i will go to the feed store and look for some,are you guys putting it in the babys food also??how much would they get??

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US