SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Thawed colostrum, should I ask for a replacement?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Thawed colostrum, should I ask for a replacement? « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I purchased some colostrum and when I received it, it was thawed, but still cool. They only had one freezer bag next to it and it was almost completely thawed too. I think it would have been better to have two frozen bags, one on each side of the bottle. It was shipped frozen. I called and asked what I should do. They said it can be refrozen and it'll be alright with no problem with it's integrity. So I put it in the freezer.

I asked my vet and she said that it will lose some of it's integrity, but may still be alright.
I'm bummed because I payed for a complete product and don't feel I got it. Do you think I should ask for a replacement or just keep it and hope it's enough to do the job?

Thank you, Marilyn

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would ask for a replacement. This is something you can't "hope is enough". The company needs to ship and package acordingly.

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree ask for a replacement.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks girls! Crumb, I threw all the paperwork away, now I don't know the phone number or the place I got it. Darn it all!! I didn't want my husband to see how much I paid for it, so I threw it out.

I got the place from here, it's from a university I think. Anyway, can anyone help me here. It was posted not too long ago. Shoot, I hate when I do that. lol

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found out where I got it from. It's from Rood and Riddle. Thanks you for your help girls!

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rood and Riddle are a very well respected facility, I'm kind of surprised that they didn't package it correctly. I definitely would get your replacement though.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called them and they said this will not jeopordise the product in the least and they said when they get it frozen they have thawed it out to test it and then refreeze it. She checked what my level was that I received and she said it was a level of 3200 and even if the colostrum had lost some of it's properties, it should still be way over the amount needed. So that was that. She said that with the heat we've been getting it's hard not to thaw out somewhat and anyway it happens alot and there's never been a problem. I guess I won't be able to get a replacement after all. Oh well...I hope it's fine.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 553
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, if it was still cool when you received it, it should still be fine

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everybody for your help. I'm not going to concern myself with this any longer. I worry far too much.

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 965
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn. I was curious, as to how much you paid for the colostrum, and if they have a website or phone number?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene, I costs $125.00 a pint. I paid $162.00 for a pint, that included shipping and handling. I got the phone number on this website. I can't remember who gave the information, but here's the phone number and contact person.

For more information, contact Kaye Kincaid at Rood and Riddle (859-233-0371).

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 971
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn for the info. Hopefully I will never need it, but it is good to know where you can get it just in case.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US