SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

*****HELP JOS*****

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » *****HELP JOS***** « Previous Next »

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOS*** I have a friend that I have known for a long time 20+ years. She came over to see my 3 week old filly and she seems to think she could possibly be a Hyro baby. She seems to think that the baby is under developing as a foal, might be not enough protein in the mares milk, if you could refer to my last post about, possiblity of a pre pubic rupture. it actually turned out to be (we think)Ventral idema, My mare collaspsed 3 times after trying to get up after delivering my filly. In my opionion not dymature, as she is referring to her as. Filly wasnt late in sucking her ears were straight up not flopped over ect.. How can I tell if my filly is a hdro baby? or Dysmature. Is there a test to see if she is getting enough protein from the mom??

JOS right now I feel like crap!!!!!!! I need to see if indeed there is a test we can do!!!!!!
PS- I realize that with a HYDRO baby it doesn't make it or is deformed badly(most are terminated)
Is this possible to have made it ??

PLEASE ANY INFO WOULD HELP!! I WANT TO SLEEP

TONIGHT!

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, Can you post recent pictures of mare and foal? If you can't post...email them to me at gcbeck3@hughes.net I'll give you my opinoin and maybe be able to ease your mind. Has this mare foaled before? Age? What makes your friend think the foal is dysmature and/or not getting enough to eat? If she is, in fact, not producing enough milk, you may be able to supplement with Foal Lac pellets or possibly Calf Manna. By three weeks, she should be able to nibble on these in a creep feeder or you can make up a solution and bucket feed her to supplement.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be unlikely that a hydroencephalitic foal would make it to term, but as you've heard me say before, "never say never"... There are other conditions that may present a similar picture though, and that might be more likely in this set of circumstances. One that I would start considering first is congenital hypothyroidism (log in required on that site to view that article).

Any way they look at it though, they need a vet to evaluate the foal.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
I looked into the article I doubt this is the problem. My filly is 3 weeks old shows no signs of this desease.

She was a small foal I dont have a gauge for growth in a baby I realize that every baby is different, breed different size different how can I tell if she is within breed range??
JOS! Thanks for everything!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie~The pictures you have posted of Summer she looks perfectly fine to me. Small yes but small grows just fine. My first foal was very late and very tiny and he grew to 14 hands which is perfectly fine for a Paso Fino. You can supplement her diet with some foal lac...is she eating some hay yet? Does it seem like Spring has adequate milk supply? Try to post some new pics. I am sure she is fine Laurie..sometimes well meaning people don't realize the damage they do with their wonderings. Plus, you did have the vet out when she was born and with Spring's post delivery problems were they ever alarmed?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan! :-)
Well meaning people don't have any idea how awful this can make people feel, I couldn't sleep at all last night, My filly was small. Vet even thought so, but to say it might be a HYDRO baby??
I realize that Spring had a hard delivery she did callasped 3x's YIKES! she's 22! Now I'm worried about why she still has Idema under her belly IS Summer growing normally???
Yes, the vet came out and took her IGG levels it was 800 and said she was small! Vet never indicated that spring was really in bad shape?? Nor the baby??? I talked to them this morning and told me that sometimes people need to keep thoughts to themselves UNLESS there VETS

JAN- :-) Thank you for responding my heart is just a mess right now!

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=SpringSu mmer052508.jpg

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a cutie!! She looks perfectly normal to me.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy ThankS! I've been besides myself with this whole fiasco! Not only because this was my last chance to get a great offspring but the fact is Spring means the world to me I will NEVER be able to replace her but at least I can have her baby to comfort me when it's time for her to go on to greener pastures!!! :-)

I will take more pictures and post tomorrow!

Thank You to everyone that has supported me without all of you, Don't know if I could do this again!

L

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie...Summer is as pretty as she can be. I suggest you get yourself a weight tape out, measure that girl weight and heigth and track her yourself. You will be happy to see her pack on the pounds. When you see them everyday you do not realize how fast they are growing. Give her a hug from me.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Laurie, your mare and filly are such a cute pair. I know how you feel, I'm the same way. I worry, worry and worry some more. Our horses mean a great deal to us, like our family, so we want the best for them. You are doing exactly that. I'm sure both will be perfectly fine. Aren't Arab's rather small when young and don't they grow slower than the average horse?

Big hugs your way! Marilyn

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 565
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, I just signed on today and saw this post. Soooo sorry you had to go through so much angst! I'm no expert, of course. But gosh, if she seems like her hunger is satisfied and she is growing, as I'm sure she is, then she is probably fine.

I know you know all that yourself. But when someone raises a red flag about our "babies" it's normal to second guess. I'm hoping she is perfectly normal. She is a very pretty filly. Keep us posted, okay?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone!

The best thing I can do is monitor her growth and have the Vet out again.
Yes Marilyn, Arabs are smaller when born in general. This comment was made by a Arabian Breeding Manager who has been in the industry for over 35 years, I have to say she does know her stuff. So when she said for my filly's parents to be of good size Spring 15 hands, Sire 14.3 she thought baby should have been bigger and is concern somehow baby didnt get all she needed in the oven?? She did say that baby was so smart and she is healthy and alert!

I'm still worried as you said Marilyn, even when we know in our gut that it's ok all it takes is for someone to mention something and a red alert goes up!????

CJ- How's your baby doing?? have you posted any new pictures??
Again Thanks!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure everything is fine Laurie, I'm saying prayers that you'll have relief of your worries soon. Please keep us posted.

God bless,
Marilyn

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn,
I'm trying to get the Vet out we are playing phone tag!

Spring still has edema although it's 75% better! I'm still concerned!

I will keep you posted!

L

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone!
What do ya think this is my Summer! I'm encluding pictures of parents to compare the size??

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=003.jpg

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=002.jpg
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=011.jpg
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=014.jpg

Thanks

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie,
I can't open the pics? I'm not sure if it is the links or me or photobucket or what?

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, I have been worrying about the last baby born this year for similar reasons. She is quite small but very lively and active. Both her sire and dam are good size horses and I wonder what to expect of this little filly regarding growth and ultimate size. My vet says she will reach her genetic growth potential just has started out smaller than some. She is perfect just a miniature. I like the idea of using a wt/ht tape....it will help me feel more comfortable.

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Small but beautiful! i dont think you have anything to worry about. with the problems the mare had maybe her momma needed her to be small for her to make it in to the world. Nature has a way of preserving its self. You wont know how big shes gonna be tell 3 or 4.

put up a piece of ply wood scrap and mark off her height off every week. This way you can Physically see her getting bigger!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TERRY,
How old was the mare who gave birth? My Vet said that typically older and younger mares have a high percentage of giving birth to smaller babies, totally relieved my worry! Terry if your baby tested within normal Igg range and is active and alert REST! Let nature do it's job, I wish I sometimes listened to myself!

I know how you're feeling!

Mr. Wright
Neonate
Username: Dogpony_show

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mistook the thread title thinking that maybe there was something we all could do to help Jos. I see now that it was a desperate plea for help. I am constantly amazed at the calm, level headed advice dispensed by Jos. I use this board as a learning tool so hopefully when the day comes I can make, informed decisions and ask intelligent questions in acquiring the Haflinger of my dreams.

I think everyone here would agree that Jos deserves a round of applause!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 01:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(((((THUNDERING APPLAUSE)))))) FROM SO. CA!

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wooohooo

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos!!! You're terrific!!!!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 272
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 709
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree!!!!! Thank you Jos!!

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 417
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DIDDOOOOOO,FROM ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Laurie...the mare is 5. It is funny to see my two fillies one the biggest in the foal crop and the other the smallest...what a difference and only 2 months apart in age....I am sure both are healthy and growing so it is just nature at work...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US