SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Reining QH's and Injuries? CLOSED THREAD - OT

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Reining QH's and Injuries? CLOSED THREAD - OT « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I have this bias going against reinging horses because of my own bad expereince with my mare. She had a bad muscle injury.

I know it is hard on them, but do most end up with arthritis and the like? I know the foals that come out of my mare will most likely be used for that, since she was bred for that, and I most likely will continue to breed her to QH stallions.

I think if I had not had such a bad expereince with mine, I wouldn't be so biased. Your responses will ease my mind, or not! LOL

I am not against horse racing, for instance, even though there are tragedy's as we all are aware of. So maybe I am being too judgemental just because of my mare's injury. I would appreciate comments of all types. Thanks to all of you in advance.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reining horses are athletes and like any athletes, they have a risk of being hurt. I don't agree with having a bias against reiners. I don't think reiners have an "abnormal" proportion of injuries versus other disciplines. Cutting horses, hunter/jumpers, heck even Western Pleasure horses have their share of injuries.

Any discipline/sport is going to have injuries, more of the responsibility for those lies with the indiviual owners, trainers, and exhibitors than with the sport/discipline as a whole. i.e., if I KNOW a specific trainer (regardless of the discipline) has an abnormal number of breakdowns, injuries, I most likely won't be taking a horse there, but I wouldn't rule the entire discipline out.

Heck, Western Pleasure has probably had more bad raps than any other discipline in the QH industry over the past decade.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 691
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj,
I think that it could be because you have had a bad experience just like I know people who can't stand racing because they have an OTTB. However I still think you are right to be upset. In most horse disciplines there are risks, just as there are risks when you drive your car, It is the avoidable problems that make me upset. One of my biggest peeves is any horse event that has young horses in extensive training so that they can race, reign, cut, or whatever by the time they are 2 and 3 year olds. I know a lot of people who won't start a horse until 30+ months and that is just light riding.
If we can breed the best possible horses and wait until their bodies are ready I think we will see a decrease in the after affects of sporting horses. Example, it is widely said and talked about that some Thoroughbreds don't have as large of bones as they used to be bred for. Whether this is completely true or not I am unsure. I do however think that bloodlines and how well the horse was known play more into how people breed then just conformation. For instance HYPP comes from Impressive. We have great horses from his lines but they didn't come without their problems. Some think that Painted Robin the Paint horse is directly related to OLWS. Is it true? I don't know.

Okay getting a little far off what you asked. As I have no experience with reigning I can't answer your question so I was just telling you my observations. :-)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 01:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're getting a little too far removed from the subject matter of this board, which is EQUINE REPRODUCTION - non-breeding related injuries would be better discussed on a general health website.

We've closed this thread.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US