SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Round pen ideas for training new foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Round pen ideas for training new foal « Previous Next »

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wanting to purchase a round pen or panels to create a round pen and be able to use other ways. I know I want a 60 ft to ride in eventually and probably will be alright for ground work. I'd like a fairly light panel, about 5-6 ft tall and a walk thru- gate. I live in Texas. Any ideas or suggestions. Heard this is very helpful in training of foal. Nova is about 3 months.

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 909
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay. I am also looking for a round pen to buy, but was hoping to find a used one. They are so expensive! I want a 50ft, either 5 or 6ft tall. I've heard that it is better to get the heavy duty ones though. Otherwise, if a horse was to run into it, they could bend it pretty bad. I hope to get one by the time Jetta is weaned. That's when I plan to start using it with her.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROUND PENS ARE EXCELLENT TOOLS TAKE MY ADVICE THO AND GET THE TALLEST AND HEAVIEST YOU CAN FIND/AFFORD. THEY ARE A SAFE PLACE WHEN YOU NEED ONE AND A WONDERFUL TOOL AS WELL. YOU CAN EVEN TAKE A PLASTIC RUBBER TYPE STUFF, I GOT IT FROM A FRIEND, ANYHOW ITS LIKE THE STUFF THEY MAKE THOSE PLASTIC BARRELS OUT OF EXCEPT A LITTLE THINNER AND RUN IT AROUND THE BOTTOM ITS ABOUT 2 1/2 -3 FT HIGH THEN FILL YOUR PEN WITH SAND.

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey guys i made one for about 25 ft' across and an slowing makeing it bigger but i only spent about 130 so far... if you the do it youselfer.... ill send out pictures and directions only took me less then 2 days at a very slow pace

Saleste Clark
Breeding Stock
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Round pens are something that nobody should be without. We used to adopt mustangs (when the horse industry was better) and a round pen is an absolute must. Theres no corners for them to get freaked out in. And with foals, theres no corners for them to get tangled up and the sides arent going to hurt them. We have a round pipe round pen. I think it's 50', can't be sure. If I recall, it wasn't expensive in the least. And you can easily dismantle it and move it or use the panels for other things:-)

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 911
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Saleste. Where did you buy yours from? Around here, for a new 50ft with a gate panel and 6 rails high, its is gonna cost me about $1600. Therefore I'd rather buy a used one. Anyone got any suggestions on where I could find a used one for about $850 to a $1,000?

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/newyearsbaby05/rusty%20studly%20pics/?a ction=view&current=roundpen3.jpg
its enuff to lope and we have been working a yearling in it. its just enuff to lope for the smaller horses preaty light, one person can handle each pannel.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 535
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought 6, 12' long, 5' high pipe corral panels. It cost me over $700.00. It's the 5 pipe type and can be used for cattle. I has the lever type release at the top of the gate, instead of the slider, which I didn't realize when I bought it. I am using it for a corral now and have one side that is just regular fencing (with three sides as panels).

Here they seem to go by galvanized, which doesn't rust and is whole lot more, or the green and brown, which will rust. I bought the painted green type. It has worked very well for me and I plan to add onto to it to create a round pen/corral later. Does anyone see any problem with using it as a dual purpose?

Charlene, used ones are hard to come by here, so I hope you have better luck than me. Do you advertise on Craig's list?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to your local equipment auctions. I just bought 7 brand new 16ft by 6 ft pannels for 100 a peice normaly they are 150-160. they also had used ones at my auction. Sometimes it takes a few trys but you can get a real steal deal
there is nothing wrong with using them for a dual purpose at all. Ive been known to change the shape of mine regularly sometimes i use it as a holding pen other times as a square arena ive even beenm known to make it bigger and smaller or steal a pane or two temporarly for something else. I have more use of the panels than i do panes but i keep picking them up one at a time

Saleste Clark
Breeding Stock
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We bought about 10 6' high panels, not sure about lentgh. It cost right around $700, if I remember right. We use our for everything as well. We use them for an arena that we built and share with our friend, we use them for round pens, catching pens, anything you can think of! they're good for anything!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought my round pen at our local hay auction--got it for a steal bought 15 12 foot long by 10 feet tall(I think) really heavy panels for $50 a piece-- they are heavy to move but my stud can bang on it all he wants and cannot get out-- I need to get a gate for it now.........

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 699
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question-do most of you line your round pen from top to bottom in a rubber/plastic/wood or other material so the horse can't climb over it when they are first learning to lunge? Not sure if I spelled that right.

I've seen young horses try to climb right out of them at first. So that's why I am asking about it. If not, how do you get around that?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 700
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, one more question. Is it too early to start a four month old colt to longe? Thanks.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 836
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ, it is my belief that at 4 months, they are mentally to unstable to start this. You don't want to blow his mind early on. I am working with minis now, but have raised and trained large horses my entire life, and typically wait until i have a yearling or sometimes older (depending on mentality of the horse) to begin lunging. There are so many other things to work on at this point! And a round pen is very helpful for doing ground training work. Spend the early months teaching him to ground tie, back, clip, stand, etc.....lay the ground work now, without overwhelming him, and training later will come much easier.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 699
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: I use my round pen from day one. I take my mares and their foals in there one by one for the evening feeding. That way they learn very early to walk through the gate and are comfortable being in the pen. I don't line my round pen with anything. In fact, Diana knows that I have been rebreeding my mares and this is where I put the babies when I turn the stallion in with them. That way the babies are protected in the pen, moms are walking around outside the pen where everyone can see each other and my stallion can't torment the babies. I have yet to have one of them try to crawl over or out of the pen. Like Diana suggests, the round pen works great for halter breaking, teaching manners, acclimating them to new stimulus, etc. It gives them a sense of nonconfinement but yet they can't get too far away from us. It beats trying to chase down a frightened foal over 40 acres! LOL! I would suggest that to get your baby used to a round pen, start by feeding grain to him there. They will soon associate the pen with pleasure and won't feel the need to panic out of it. You don't want to put too much pressure on these little guys mentally or physically. Their knees aren't even stable until they reach between 18 months and 2 years old. Working them out too hard could create some real physical damage to their growing joints. If you want to slowly pull in a lunging technique, I would suggest that after you have leading, backing and "whoa" down that you may want to just introduce the walk on a very short lunge line but I wouldn't go much farther than that for awhile.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks ya 'all. Sounds like great advice. I thought it might be too early, but thought I'd ask. He is used to the round pen. I kept him and Jewel in it at night for a long time and also fed them in it. And I do use it for small training events. This week-end I'm going to seperate him from his mommy with it for the first time. She will be able to nurse him through the panels, if she wants to.

By the way, she is doing much better. The problems I had before, soon resloved, after my last post about him hurting her. I think she found a way to correct him. Now she is pinning her ears back and so on, and he has really changed his attitude to her. He is going to get gelded soon. I also increased her glucosamine by a little bit and that seems to help. So I feel much better about her.

I'm going to follow the suggestions above on trainning and getting panels at the auction. I need a saddle too-oh my! I can already feel my checkbook groan!

By the way, I got a 9 year old Morgan gelding that I will be able to ride as soon as I get him used to a Western saddle (he's trained in English dressage). He's a pretty boy and his price tag was-$0000.00. I know, there are no free horses, but his previous owner said he freezes up in the ring and she thought he would do better in "cowboy land." She loves him and just wanted a good home for him.

I'm still looking at brood mares. I can't go without a 2009 foal! And I'm breeding Jewel about Dec. So I'll have 2 foals for 2010. Gotta look ahead, hey?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 715
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opps! Of course, the "she" I'm referring to is my mare. Sorry about any confusion.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US