SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Teasing wall?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Teasing wall? « Previous Next »

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are currently finishing up the fencing on our 2 stallions permanent pasture areas (about 1/2 acre each) and I am considering using one section on each of their fencelines to place a teasing wall.
It would be one section of the fenceline (on each horses pasture)so 8ft wide and I was thinking of using 2x6 or 2x10's on both sides of the posts to make it good and solid and then lay some padding and outdoor carpeting over the top.
Does anyone have things set up along these lines and does it work well for you?
I was thinking it would make teasing easy and very manageable for even one person to do.
You would only need the one person to handle the mare and the stallion could just come up to the fenceline from inside his pasture.
Any thoughts or experience on this type of teasing wall set up would be great.
Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have used, and like, this type of fence-line tease rail:
Tease Rail
The rope that is going toward the mare's head past her side and flank, and off to the right of the picture, is actually going to a ring in the top corner of the tease rail, and then to the mares halter (you can see her "regular" lead line flipped over her neck). The rope can be used to (a) keep the mare in the corner; (b) maintain the mares position against the rail; and (c) allow the observer to be standing well to the rear to see what's going on, but not in the direct line of fire.

Both sides and the top of the rail are padded with rubber stall matting.

If one wants to tease with two people for some reason, the mare handler can stand in front of the "L" portion of the rail, thereby protected from the flying front feet of the mare.

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
Thank you so much, I absolutely love it.
I never thought to put the additional section of wall to make it L shaped or add the ring to run the line through.
It will definitely make keeping the mare in place and observing much, much easier and safer.
I'm so glad you posted a pic so now I can print this to show my husband how we need to build them.
Are the stall matts on each side placed over plywood or just attached to the posts on both sides?
It certainly pays to ask advice from the more experienced.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stall mats are placed over 3/4" or 1" plywood or 2x6 or 2x10. Plywood is only 4' high, so you will need a couple of pieces on each side - best to place them vertical if you are making it 8' wide, and cut to the appropriate height for the animals you're dealing with (rather than having an 8' strip that is say 12" deep).

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 03:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
I showed my husband and he thinks it's great and will incooperate into the fencline quite easily. He loves the safety factor above all.
2 yrs ago he ended up with a few stitches after a maiden mare he was handling had a panic attack when I brought our stallion up to tease her. When he strutted up and snorted she went nuts. This will insure no further such incidents occurr.
Again, Many Thanks, Phyllis & Gary

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should add that to ensure sturdiness, you should place an intermediate fence post in the middle of the 8' section, to which you can also attach the edge of the plywood (if setting it vertically and 4' wide as described above). You could of course have several intermediate posts, but at least one is definitely necessary.

Bear in mind that not all mares tie, so you will (eventually) encounter one who views being held in the corner by the rope through the ring as being tied, and will try to pull back. You can either let the rope run through the ring, and catch her easily as she goes backwards and then try again; or you can stand in front of the "L" and tease in the other manner.

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem, I was out today before coming to work and trying to decide the best spot to place it on the fenceline.
We have all the current posts set 8ft apart so we'll just need to add another in the center of the section we are going to use.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US