SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Introducing gelding with mare and foal???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Introducing gelding with mare and foal??? « Previous Next »

wanda
Yearling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At what age would you think it would be ok to introduce a gelding that has never been with this mare (other than in the barn) to the pasture with the mare and foal???

I know without a doubt my mare would kill him if he comes near them..because she tries to attack him through his stall door and he isn't even doing anything but it is her protective motherhood coming out,,,
I don't want to do it too soon because I know the baby has no clue that other horses could be mean to them and might not be able to get out of the way fast enough...(oh yeah filly is only 5 days old)
Sorry so long...and thanks for reading...I feel like I need a babysitter for these horses to tell me what to do...I am learning..
my little filly is so curious she wants to sniff and rub on everything...
Also I have only had this gelding about 3 weeks and I do not know how he is going to be with other horses yet...we have horses in an adjoining field that is only separated by a fence(neighbors horses not mine) but he doesn't want anything to do with them..he just stays off to himself..won't go talk at the fence or anything..but when I got him he was the only horse at this place and had not been out of his stall since last september...
He showed his 1st sign of aggression yesterday..we have a pasture that sits closest to the road but it is about 2.5-3 acre pasture and all the horses that we have either fostered or owned..hates it...they won;t eat..they just either run around like a mad horse or stand there and refuse to eat...even the vet said it is weird because it has nicer grass then our other pasture that they love...our gelding was so worked up yesterday from being in that pasture....we have a chain that we put up to keep them out of a walk way that is attached to the pasture but it gets really wet and dangerous for them to walk in and he jumped a 3' high chain...we put him back on the right side made an actual fence with some wire..electrified the fence and that calmed him down some...but as soon as we turned the electric off he broke our wire fence by trying to jump it and when we brought him in he was so stirred up he went up on his hind legs and tried to paw my husband...that is the 1st sign of any aggression he has showed to date but as soon as we got him in his stall he was quiet and calm...??? it all baffles me..and now that I have written a book just to ask a ?...now I don;t know what to do with him...I have 3 pastures..one is out back of my barn and it is way too muddy and nothing much but trees & brush so I can't turn him out there..and they all hate the front pasture and won't stay in it...so that leaves me with one pasture so should I rotate the horses in and out all day (which would be a pain) or just keep putting him in the front pasture regardless, so my mare and baby can come out too?? I am kinda at a loss...I know it is too early to introduce them..well at least I think so...I have read other post on here that someone had a terrible time with one of her geldings and a foal..but then someone else says hers is a babysitter.. I just don;t want to do something and live to regret it...
Sorry so long...I feel like I need a babysitter to tell me what to do with these horses...I am learning...

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
Is this the gelding that you rescued?

As for putting him in with your new mare and baby, I wouldn't do that just yet. She is part draft horse and he is a Quarter Horse and she would probably kill him at this point as new as her baby is.

Even if the mare and gelding had been "buds" from way back, she isn't going to want anything to do with him right now and she is going to protect her baby. I promise you, it won't be a "pretty" scene.

Sweetie, it sounds to me like you need to get some fencing done.

Also, if this is the rescued gelding that lived in a stall for like months on end, then he is thinking of that as his "safety zone"; i.e., he wants to get back there. He probably needs to learn how to live out in the pasture again (i.e., he has gotten barn sour) but you aren't going to be able to do that until you get some good fences up. Everytime he jumps or breaks thru a barrier, its just reinforcing his mindset.

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Catherine...yes it is the gelding that we rescued...
Yeah I am not putting them together yet...

we actually have good fencing but we have a gate and then a long walk way from one pasture to the other and we tried to just put the wire gate up so that he would stay out of the walk way because I was affraid he would break his leg in the mud it is like 2 ft deep...(NO joke) we have a gate on the outside of pasture and that is how we let him in..but for some reason he wanted to go to the walkway...I thought the same thing when he jumped the chain at first..so we put two metal fence post in and attached wire just like if it was part of the regualar fence.(although our other fence is wood post with 3 wire).but he cleared that too (well broke the top wire) We are going to set some post this week and devide the pasture off that they all like and that way they can all have a piece of it..but that will take a few days and the ground has been so wet I am not sure if we should do it now or not..

As far as him being barn sour I can only imagine that he would be..he has done great in the good pasture but when we put him in the other one that he was in yesterday he just runs around...he is definitely getting more energy now that he is gaining his weight back so I know he is going to try and test us to see how far he can get... we knew when we brought him in last night that he was going to be a handful..we did the chain across the nose with the lead and that did help...but he still got up on him and I didn;t like that..after he came down he was fine but my husband made him walk around for quite a while...stop and go...our paddock was too muddy or we would have lunged him...but that might be part of it too..he is getting all this good food and we have not been working him to burn off the energy some..

Thanks for chiming in..I look for any comments, I don;t take offense to any..I am doing something wrong I would rather know it than keep doing it..so never hold back on me...I can take the good with the bad...;0)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are in Ohio? Yeah, you have had tons of rain up that way. My two broodmares are at a farm in KY right across the state line from Indiana and they have just been inundated with rain this spring.

Sounds like Mr. Gelding is starting to feel good and it would be nice if you could work him some. I know you are trying to get weight back on him but if it were me, I would probably cut his grain way back for right now until I could get him outside and work him. He can still get full on hay and grass.

He probably is dependent on the barn and that is his comfort zone. He'll get over that as you can work with him and get him "tired".

Armchair quarterbacking is always so easy :-)

Sounds like you are doing a great job!

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Catherine...I wish I could reverse that and be the one in the recliner giving the advise!! LOL but I appreciate all that you share with me and I sure do hope I do him right...Now see ..I blame his roudiness on the thorough bred in him LOL when I grew up we had a QH/Morgan...I never saw this horse ever act up except for 1 time and we had her from birth to probably 7-8 yrs..she was shown in 4-h (by my sister) I was too shy to show but loved the horses at home..she was rode in parades..anywhere you wanted her to go she would go... so I grew up with horses until about teenage years..but it is different..my dad did all the training and as a kid all I had to do is go out saddle her up and take off when I wanted...I helped my Dad break a couple horses when I was young and flexible (LOL) I was the weight of about what a good heavy sand bag would have been then and so after a few says of sand bags I would get on and away we would go..I use to say I was going to join the rodeo..LOL if ever a horse would buck/rear it would be with me on it...probably because if there was a horse to be on I was on it...now I got these horses and I haven't been on either of them...we don't know if our mare has ever been ridden..she took a bit really well one day I was just messing around with her to see her tolerances..and she didn't seem to mind..but it was just the bit alone..I didn't have a bridle set big enough for her yet..I am on the search for a good set and saddle..when she is ready I will be getting myself ready...then we will see...I know the gelding is broke but not rode since sometime last year and now it will still be a little while due to his weight before we can get on him..but I am going to go slow and introduce everything to him again..I do put the bridle and bit on him now and walk him..he doesn;t mind either of them...so next will be saddle...yipee!!

Thanks again for your encouragement...I feel bad even talking about this peddly (Sp) stuff with so many more serious things going on here with everyone on the board...losses, infections, it breaks my heart and almost makes me feel guilty to have had an easy delivery...although the mare has the infection..the vet seems to think we caught it good and early and with the shots and flushing and meds she will be fine..but I am still keeping a close watch on her!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US