SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When is it ok to turn the foal out to large pasture

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » When is it ok to turn the foal out to large pasture « Previous Next »

wanda
Yearling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

I am just wandering when it is ok to turn the foal out into the large pasture...we have a small paddock but it is way too muddy to turn them out in and the next best thing we have is the big pasture but it is like 100ft away from the barn...we had to take them out of the stall yesterday to strip and re-bed the stall it was the foal's 1st time out and it was a challenge to say the least...momma wouldn't go out baby wouldn't follow...had to get grain to get mare out and then walk behind the baby to get it to go out of stall, shut the stall doors and then shut the barn doors so we could clean the stall..
Am I just making this too hard on myself..I was letting the mare go in and out of the stall to show the foal to go but when the foal wouldn't come out then the mare just let her nurse...so that is when I got the grain (mare is very food motivated) lol
Yes we would make a good comedy show right now...LOL Oh you never really realize how much you don't know about something until you try it hands on without instructions..

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
This is all normal. The little foal hasn't quite figured out to follow mama yet. Its skills will get better with turn-out time. Probably wouldn't hurt to turn them out for a while and it might aid the mare to get her moving a bit.

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is what my husband keeps saying..I just didn't know if it would be too far for the foal to keep up...it is cold and rainy here today so I will probably wait until tomorrow when it is supposed to be warmer and dry.. Thanks!!! ;0) ( I guess I am being a little over protective...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, very understandable. I have been letting mine out since Wed., late morning (baby born early Tues. AM).

My biggest worry is ground squirrel holes. I filled most with poop and straw. Today found out I can get a pest guy to do away with the little buggers!

Anyway, if the pasture is safe, cause the baby knows nothing yet-then they could be turned out. Watch for any dangers though. No loose wire, glass, holes, etc. Have fun watching the little one stretch its legs!

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They went out yesterday for the 1st time...I got scolded a little by the vet because Momma had an infection...we aren't sure if it was due to any placenta not moving out(even though we knew at least most came out and vet checked it and it looked normal) but she did and he said we should have her out and moving... I just worried that it would be a nightmare to get them there and we do have a rough yard and pasture due to my mare's huge hooves and the ground be so wet this year..we can't roll it yet because it just keeps raining here! ;0( but all went well...baby absolutely loved being outside and just ran around her mommy and kicked up her heels...
I have had 6 kids and you would think that I am a 1st time mommy!!! LOL

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Wanda....you are a first time horse mommy :-) I have 6 kids too, of course mine are 19-27 now :-)

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...nice to know I am not the only insane one on here !!LOL I mean from having 6 kids drive us there!! mine are 7-22!!!

I guess that is what I can use as an excuse for being so wigged out about everything with these horses all of a sudden..(being 1st time horse mommy) ...I think I liked it better when she was just pregnant and I was just worried about when it was going to come!! LOL..No I wouldn't trade her for the world..I am thrilled she is here..but boy do I feel like a dumb a_ _ sometimes...because I am doing something everday it seems like for the first time and I question everything I do...I just don't want to ruin my horses and then realize things are out of my control and end up having to give them up or get someone hurt..

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But you are doing all you can and trying to learn so that puts you far and away ahead of the game. :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US