SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Caramel colored gunk coming from mare's vulva???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Caramel colored gunk coming from mare's vulva??? « Previous Next »

wanda
Yearling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All...

Being the inexperienced that I am ...my mare just had her foal on the 8th..she is acting fine accept that I cannot seem to keep enough water in there for her..I have brought in the trough I think it is 50 gallons...(she is a percheron so she drinks a lot anyway) but she had almost the entire trough empty this moringin and it was full last night when I closed up the barn...this morning I was brushing her out still trying to clean out her tail from the birth (yeek) but there was this caramel colored gunk coming out of her vulva..when it actually finally dropped out of her it was about the size probalby a little larger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball....and it was about as thick as peanut butter syrup if you know what I mean...any thoughts as to what this could be...she was holding her tail up some this morning too...she was also very cranky this morning which she usually is not...I have noticed when I go in the stall in the mornings since she had the baby all her buckets are off the wall, she is hitting her salt block like crazy(actually uses her teeth to get the salt) I haven't caught her rubbing her tail any though...so I don't know if that is why the buckets are off the wall or if she is just saying feed me more...I have her on 10lbs of grain a day and all the hay she can eat plus all the water she can drink...

so is this just an after affect of the birth or ??? sorry so long, just trying to cover all the details

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
This mare probably needs to be flushed out. Call your vet and get them out. If she has retained any afterbirth whatsoever it can ultimately be deadly.

As far as her personality change, some mare's go thru a "I can't believe this has happened to me stage" or some other personality shift. It is probably temporary.

I think you are feeding her adequately and keep in mind she is producing milk which is typically a lot for these draft mares.
Is the baby nursing okay?

Get your vet out and get her flushed.

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Catherine..

I will call the vet...he was out the very next morning after birth and checked the over the placenta..I had it bagged and waiting..but maybe there was something that didn't come out...it did take her a little while to expel the placenta..
The baby is eating great...peeing great and no other symptoms other than the gunk and a little attitude and it was really towards me when I was throwing her hay in and the baby was over by me..she kinda charged me and got lippy...I know she is very protective but she has not been that bad yet, with me anyway...so the attitude might just be her being mommy...
But I will call the vet and see if he can come out!!

Thanks for always being here on this site...I would be lost without all the support I get on here!!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
I've had mares that needed to be flushed regardless of their "experience" with the placenta passing.

Here is an informative link:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2613&S=0&SourceID=69

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I called the vet...he is coming this afternoon to do the flush and he is going to load her up on antibiotics...I just started using this vet..but he came highly recommended but I have to say I really like him..he has said the samething that you have said...

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vet was out..she definitely had an infection..he pulled all kinds of gunk out of her...he did a flush and put large capsules of Bolis(SP) inside of her....gave her shots of antibiotics..and gave us antibiotics for the next 5 days..also gave us a bute paste to give her too(I think that is what he called it) sorry still learning all the names of this stuff..I have learned a lot just from this one foal...

But Catherine I am so glad you advised me to call the vet and not wait...it could have been devastating...
Lesson learned even though I thought it was not right I might have waited to just watch and see.. I won't have that thought again..I will just call the vet first...

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad the vet flushed her and left you with a round of antibiotics. I bet she will be fine now and probably a whole lot more comfortable and can enjoy that new little baby of hers. Sometimes mares just get an infection and it isn't anything you did or didn't do or not do. Sometimes it just happens.

Do you have any pics of them?

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan I posted new pics in the new foal pics postings!!!

I think she will be ok..I am just glad we caught it when we did and she didn't have time to really get down with it..!!

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ooops sorry Catherine..I don't know why I called you Jan...in the post above...I will blame it on age...LOL

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US