SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

************HELP JOS********************...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » ************HELP JOS******************** « Previous Next »

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOS,
My mare foaled on 05/07/08 at 10:43 pm after being in stage 1 for 24 hours, delivery was textbook, she expelled everything at the same time it was evaluated 2 days later by my vet. Right before delivery I noticed alot of idema under her belly all the way to her udders I chalked it up to her pregnancy. Spring didnt have much signs during her pre delivery,she bagged up the day of foaling. Everything went fine I helped just a little. when she tried to get up she collaspsed 3 times finally on the last try she did get up I noticed her back legs where quivering, again I thought she's sore. This was really hard on her for her age (22 years old)My concern was she was so sore she couldn't move, she pivoted around her right hind she is in a 24x24 she has been only having a bowel movement }a day she is not eating to much she is drinking TG. Vet had to introveinously give her banamine, she is on full dose now. NO Temp, Good Gut sounds- I walk her 3x day due to her pitted adema which has gone down some, still not eating great! Now here is what the Vet Thinks Pre Pubic Ventral Ruputured Ligament?? She has progressed slowly...I just want to know have you heard of this? If so what can I do to inprove her overall condition? Is walking her ok? She still grunts a little when I do I am also masaaging her idema 3x per day.

JOS! Any Suggestions??

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an article on abdominal musculature ruptures in the pregnant mare in the articles section (follow that link).

Without actually looking at the animal it would be impossible to comment, so if you are not comfortable with your current vets diagnosis, you would be well advised to get a second opinion form a second vet who can evaluate her.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos! Today she finally looks better walking eating and pooping! I think after reading the above article I don't think that's what the problem was it might have been a ventral rupture in any case she is being monitored!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, it looks like you mare is on the road to recovery. Yippee! I'm very happy to hear the good news. How's that new filly doing? More pictures please, when you have a chance.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie~I am so happy to hear that Spring is coming around. When you get some time post pics of your new little one!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*********JOS*********
I'VE UPLOADED HER BELLY AS OF YESTERDAY? wHAT IS YOUR THOUGHTS? I REALIZE YOUR NOT A VET i JUST WANT TO SEE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT HER IDEMA, IT HAS GONE DOWN AND SHE IS WALKING BETTER AND EATING!

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=springsu mmer.jpg

THIS WAS TAKEN RIGHT BEFORE SHE HAD HER BABY!
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn
/?action=view&current=042408spring1.jpg

THANKS JOS!!!!!!!!!!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I said above "
Without actually looking at the animal it would be impossible to comment
" I guess I should have been a little more specific... :-)

Without actually physically examining} the animal it would be impossible to comment.

In order to evaluate pitting edema to be such, one has to press on it to "pit" it. Additionally, ultrasound is commonly used to determine presence of abdominal tears and damage.

Still can't comment... sorry! If you have doubts, then get your vet back out or get a second opinion form another vet (who can examine the mare!:-))

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Will get Vet back out.

Thanks

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, how's your mare doing? Has the vet come out yet? Please let us know what the vet says, I worry about her. Thanks, Marilyn

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Laurie...I am right her with Marilyn wanting an update...How is Spring and Summer?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi You Two!
Well I'm happy to say SPRING is on the road to recovery. She is eating better and pooping better most of her idema is going way way down.

Jan, You were right No Pre Pubic Rupture-TG!

Vet informed me that the pregnancy was harder on her due to her age!

Thanks for all your concern

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to hear that. I'm guessing no more kids for Spring?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct, At his point Spring has earned the right to go into retirement, although yesterday I saw her eyeing my stallion! She is about to come in heat!

LOL

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie~PTL....so glad that Spring is recovering...You were blessed with a perfect little filly :-) So relieved that it was not the other! Just takes the old girls a little time to bounce back. I know even my mare at 17 years old had a tougher time so she is done too....
We can enjoy watching our fillies grow up together..mine 9 months ahead of yours and hopefully Marilyn's following yours :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US