SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

An Easy Way to Drill a Hole for Fencing

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » An Easy Way to Drill a Hole for Fencing « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was given a tool yesterday that drills a hole for you, with water! I couldn't believe it until I tried it!

It is just a pipe, threaded at both ends. One end has a connection for a hose. You attach hose, put the other end on the ground, and it begins drilling a hole! Caution, it will kick spatter out mud at first, so dress with that in mind! LOL.

I do not know if one can do it for larger holes. I have to do most the work related to my horse habit, so it saves me hiring someone to pound in T-posts. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the name of this tool? How deep of a hole does it dig? How wide?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 456
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, I don't know a lot about them. It is a very common tool, but I'm sorry, I don't know what it is called. If you describe it, I am sure someone at a hardware store, will know what you are talking about.

Any small steel pipe that is threaded on both ends will work. You just need to have a connection for the hose to screw onto, at one end. In other words, the hose does not become a permanent part of the pipe.

The one I have is about 1 inch in diameter. I don't know if they make them larger-my guess is, with a larger diameter, there would not be enough pressure to "drill," the hole. The pipe is about three feet long. I don't know exactly how deep it will drill. I believe a foot or more.

I'm going to play around with it later today and will let you know my results.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, I was interested because I am running approximately 1,400 linear feet of new fencing this week (remember my crazy neighbors? Well, they are the reason. I don't want to EVER have to see, hear, or deal with those people again!).

But anyhow, I was interested because I have the good ole clamshell diggers and post pounder in my arsenal. UGH!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 457
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a good plan. I'm sorry you have to be subjected to such obnoxious people.

I am planning to go out and pound in a fence post or see if I can, after drilling the hole with this thing. However, I'm a bit on the sleepy side right now! Have been busy all day, then relaxed and ate and now all I want is a nap! LOL

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to put up a section of chain link fence for my mother, so I put the hose down the center of the pipe post and pushed them in to the ground. They were pretty tight in the ground. Now if I can get my mother to driver her golf cart and trailer through the center of the gate opening life will be wonderful.

I never thought of trying if with a wood post, would it work with wood post about 4" in diameter?

When I was 4 yrs old I was playing with a hose, drilling it into the ground. I just kept pushing it in to the ground further and further it was so easy. When it was about 20 feet in the ground I got busted, the neighbor turned the water off, told my mom, got yelled at. But it was worth it, watching the adults pull for all it was worth on that hose. They ended up cutting the hose off at ground level, they didn't have the sense to turn the water back on and ease the hose out.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine, I saw post pounders that were spring loaded at Lowes yesterday....and thought, I just drove 185 T Posts WITHOUT ONE OF THOSE!!!!!! Hope yours is a good one!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 460
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spring loaded? Cool!

Heather, I enjoyed your story. 20 feet down? Amazing!

I didn't get time to drill my bigger hole Catherine. Sorry. Probably will get it done tomorrow and will let you know.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you are finding this tool without a name! I found out it is used to "drill" holes under concrete.

I used it in dry, clay soil and it worked great! I put in 2" pipe and so made a few little holes into a big hole. Loved it! You have to be patieint though. Don't need to apply a lot if pressure at all. It WILL give and you will have your hole. And it will continue to get deeper if you let it. Hope this helps.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US