SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Building an Arena

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Building an Arena « Previous Next »

phil mcgrowling
Weanling
Username: Liberty

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is off the subject of reproduction, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on fencing for an outdoor arena. I only need to be able to ride around in it, maybe barrel race a little, I wont be having any cows or anything like that. I know panels are probably the best, but they are rather expensive. I have wondered about maybe planting some hedge bushes, and making a wall out of them, but not sure if it would work haha. Does anyone have any ideas?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that would work! And I have often used red tip phoetina as walls(not sure I spelled it right) they are very thick,but a little difficult to control on the tall side...they grow REALLY fast! but look nice when kept trimmed. horses won't eat it....cows might, don't know. That'd be awesome!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 02:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool idea. I suppose it could be pretty secure if tall and a gate is installed. But then, people coouldn't see you?

And if it is cut too short, the horse could go over it. I suppose it depends a lot on the horse you are riding.

I know what you mean about cost. It is expensive to put up the typical pole panel arena.

phil mcgrowling
Weanling
Username: Liberty

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I thought about the same bush the red tip phoetina as well, Just didnt know what they were called. I also have a fence that separate me and my neighbor's horses and i thought about planting some down the same fence roll because our horses cannot use the feild because they fight with the neighbor's horses, I wonder if doing this would also keep them off of the fence were they wouldnt get hurt? I thought that maybe since they couldnt see each other or be close enough to each other maybe they wouldnt fight, but im not sure because the neighbor's horses are ruff on fences.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey this sounds kinda easy to do, can these type of bushes? grow in California? San Diego to be exact! Good Luck with planting....

L

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 385
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup, they grow in CA....

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i built a round pen in but thats not really big enuff for you but ill give you directions if you want?!! took me 130 dollers and got jsut enuff room to lope in.

we just took a large area and spread poo miked with wood chips out on hard dirt and it make great footing after its dried! great place to get rid of it of the poo as well we dont even have a fence around it the difference in footing is enuff of a barrier for a broke horse.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 866
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil planting a hedge for an arena sounds nice, but don't you think the upkeep will be a lot to take care of? My husband built my arena fence, and I love it. Here is a pic of it behind me and my mare http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/100_0126.jpg

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil
I think it's very plausable as long as you can wait for them to fill in and provide a decent barrier and go with something that really needs no maintenance.
I am doing something along the same lines but for our pasture areas. I have thousands of feet of fencing that needs to be upgraded. I hate what the original owners had up, to cheap and dangerous. Yet, i really need to spend the money on more run in sheds and a large main barn.
I am going with a variety of different trees from leyland cypress to hybrid poplars and such to provide a wind barrier, some shade and a fenceline/barrier. This way I can just leave the old original fence in many places and not worry that they can even get to it.
I think the evergreen type are the best for keeping them away from the neighbors horses, which is part of my objective as well.
We are currently planting a line of Rose of Sharon shrubs along our backyard fence just to have more privacy. Lots of color, no maintenance and eventually a nice solid 8 ft wall.
There are tons of great sites you can browse through to get information on what varieties would work best for your purpose.
I would just be sure it's an evergreen type on the arena and areas you want to be year round barriers so that you're not left without in the winter months. Best of luck

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US