SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Respiratory Infection Developing In Four Week Foal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Respiratory Infection Developing In Four Week Foal? « Previous Next »

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugghhh! So my little "JJ" has an issue this morning. I'm waiting on a call from my vet but he is "congested" this morning. No drainage from the nose (however, last week one day he had a runny nose, didn't give it much thought as it was clear and fairly waterly, not thick). He is actually "gurgling or rattling" up in the nasal cavity. Not coughing, not blowing out like a a clearing of the nasal passage but its like he's trying to "sniff it" back...like little kids do when they don't want to blow their nose.

Our weather has been strange here with hot/humid days and very cool nights. Don't know if this is something as simple as a cold or if this is the beginnings of an ugly event.

No temperature, bright eyed, perky and active, gum color is good.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Paul Liberty
Yearling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,
This time of year, here where I am at in TX, our foals come down with the same thing. If you have a stethoscope listen to his lungs to see if they are 'rattling' and also listen to his trachea (throat area) it could just be a slight upper respiratory infection, but it could also turn into pnuemonia. Is he nursing? You say he has no temp but that really could change. Hope you get a call back from your vet soon.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Bobbi, I'm sorry about your little one being sick. I wonder too if the weather doesn't have something to do with it. Our weather has been hot and cold one day to the next back here. Lots of rain too, I wonder about mold spores, etc.

Little foals are a lot like little kids to me. They can get sick really fast. But then they can bounce back really quickly as well.
Let us know.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul/Catherine: You're right on. I just love my vet...she knows that I'm prepared for anything. Probably the cool nights/hot-humid days thing...the start of an upper respiratory thing. She said exactly what we knew she would say...watch him because these little ones can get out of control fast.

Treatment: 3cc Penicillin IM 1 X Day; 3cc Gentocin IM 1 X Day for 4 Days.

(After day two he'll feel better and then he'll kick my darn fool head off...hahahaha!) So much for my baby feeling safe around humans, this will be a slight setback. You know they don't like this getting stuck thing very well and they hold the human directly responsible for that!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,
Maybe he won't. My yearling filly tried to peel her face off back in November (the week after I bought her). She was about 9 months old when she attempted it. Hooked her head right under her forelock on the bottom edge of the "horse-safe" mesh fence we have, jerked back and peeled her face off down to right at her top "eye level". It was really "nice".

My vet was a champ and was out to our place within an hour of when she did it and got her sewed up (50 or 60 some stitches). She had a drainage tube under the flap that I had to keep clean; i.e., flush it everyday with weak Betadine. She got 2 rounds of Naxcel (one shot in the AM and one in the PM).

I thought, oh boy, she is going to be headshy and hate needles. Little thing was so good, although she did get sorta cranky toward the end of the ordeal about flushing out the drainage thingy.

But today she is not the least bit headshy and I was able to vaccinate her this spring all by myself and she never did turn a hair. I am still amazed. I think maybe the little ones can "forgive and forget" pretty fast too.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank goodness my vet gives me medicine...already have everything on hand. They are great to me because they know I can handle most things with just a phone consult. Its a good thing because I can't imagine what my vet bills would be in a year's time.

Whenever they come out for my annual well care items, we go through my "medicine cabinet" to see what I'm low on and they "re-stock" me back up.

(Just a note that I didn't add to my original post, I also have my favorite sow down as well. She's stiff on her back legs and can't walk...vet thinks this is a viral arthritis thing so she's getting antibiotic treatment as well. I just hope that whatever this is, isn't the "same thing" and we have a possible viral outbreak going on. This mare and foal are located in the maternity pasture that butts up to the hog pen.)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 372
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine: I hope you're right. My adult horses get shots all the time and they don't hold grudges but I can tell you these two babies were all cuddle bugs until I pulled blood for IgG testing. Whewww....they were mad at me for over a week. Gave me that disgusted "you hurt me and now you're not my friend" look.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,
How is the little one today? How are the shots going?

If you have time, please go out to my new post on the "Breeding Problem Mares" thread. You and I have a lot in common and think alike on some things and I am just losing my mind this morning. Tell me what you think --- am I being a Ninny? Please anyone else --- Let me know what ya'll think too---I am getting silly. I don't know if I should have tried to breed mares this year, I get so crazy.

(Message edited by cateowen on May 02, 2008)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJ is still having issues. Poor baby. He still is acting pretty perky but we're getting rain/storms today so the humidity is going to be higher and I'm concerned that this could escalate this congestion issue and put him into pneumonia. Shots are going...unfortunately this little guy already outweighs me and he's not liking it one bit. He can't stand a fly to even buzz or touch him so needles are definately NOT on his agenda. Having to be poked twice in a day is going to get tougher as time goes by. He already starts pinning his ears and swishing his little tail at me when I approach him. Already starting the avoidance "ring around the horsey mommy" tactic as well trying to catch the little bugger. I hate giving babies shots. I'm afraid that by this evening its going to take several humans to wrestle him into submission. If anyone out there has any suggestions for restraining a foal that works well...I'm all up for trying it.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh. It sounds as if he has already decided you are not to be tolerated! In his little mind, you probably obviously have it "out for him". You must be avoided at all costs! He probably wonders why his mama isn't trying to defend him, after all you are a very evil person that is trying to do him in! Is mama just daft?!

I am always so leary of trying to "lock down" on a baby too. I hate having to 'restrain" them. I'm really paranoid about hurting them or something. And they don't understand at all.

Unfortunately shots are sometimes the only way. I don't know. We have always just wrestled them. Once ya'll are thru this phase, he will probably make friends with you again ---- at some point in time, most likely of his own chosing!

My filly was nine months old when she went thru her ordeal and already halter broke, would lead, had been on a trailer a couple of times, etc. I spent a lot of time with her, petting her and brushing her all the time. Maybe she was old enough to be able to seperate the "good" times from "shot time". She really never did get surly about it. She hated that darn drainage tube though. I had to irrigate around it daily and she really hated it there at the end before they pulled it out. She would back her ears about that. Luckily she wasn't too tall, so even though she would stick her little face up in the air I could still get to her face to clean it up. We were BOTH definitely glad when we didn't have to do THAT anymore!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I am sorry JJ is ill. I feel for ya regarding your developing relationship with him too. I'm sure he'll learn to love ya once the shots are over with. I'm sending good vibes your way. Keep us posted, okay? He sure is a nice colt!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,
Sending healthy get this over vibes.... I know what your going through! Have a 2 year old colt that had a staph infection my sis had to give him penicillian 2x's talk about backing up! eventually he got over her giving the shots and hasnt resented her once! I'm sure your baby will forgive and maybe forget??

Keep us posted!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I to hate having to do anything to the foals at this age. When giving a shot I always pinch the skin and pull it up. I find that I get less resistance when I put the needle in. It also for some reason keeps the horse from moving too much. One of my geldings had to have shots at 2weeks old for a month. By the time I got him at 6yrs old he was terrified of shots. This method works for him and now I don't have to even restrain him. Also a few weeks ago when we had to work with Sky's feet he was scared of the epoxy gun so we put a blind fold on him. He couldn’t see what he was scared of and I spent the time telling him what a good boy he was and rubbing him all over. We had no problem with him. Just thought I would give my 2cents.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, how is JJ? Better I hope.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has this foal been checked for Rhodococcus infection?

Stacia Purcell
Neonate
Username: Seafire

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with JOS. That is the first thing I thought when I read the first post. Check that foal out for Rhodococcus infection. I had one develop Rhodococcus after foaling and staying in KY and the same symptoms described in the first post were the first signs.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos & Stacia: Well...we didn't check Rhodococcus...and after 3 days of antibiotics he is just fine. Moose, his one-day younger half brother developed a cough as well, so he was subjected to the same regiment of Penicillin and Genocin. He has cleared up as well. I don't know...we have such cool nights and hot, humid days that I just can't help but think maybe its the drastic swings in temperatures that may be just grabbing them. (One of our sows also got sick at the same time...put her on Penicillin and Tylan 200 injections...she was cleared up in a few days as well.)

Not sure what's going on. Can you provide me a link to Rhodococcus infection or give me a run down on it?

I certainly don't want to fool myself into thinking this is done and over with only to have it redevelop and bite me in the hind end! That's the only thing I hesitate to use antibiotics on an animal until they are diagnosed with a specific illness. The great thing about using several antibiotics in a therapy...it is broad spectrum enough to try to get "most bugs" but the bad thing about using several antibiotics in a therapy...it can temporarily fix a problem and put it into hiding only so it can pop back up and now you may have formed a resistance.

Thanks for any additional info you can give me!

(I was worried that whatever the sow may have and the foals may have were transferrable...but my vet thought that the sow had a possible infectious arthritis and the foals had an upper respiratory infection...problem is that the pigs can suffer from several diseases that are caused by staph, strep, e-coli and other various bacterium that could prove to be deadly to an equine!)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is probably a good review (from the Ontario Canada Dept. of Agriculture). You can also do a search on Google and you will get more information than you really want... :-(

Follow those links.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos: Hmmm...interesting article. It states that it is common in dusty environments. My mares are out on pretty plush fields...I sent a pic of our maternity field

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/FARMBABIES/?action=view&curr ent=PlayingSoccerFarm.jpg

There seems to be a connection to the manure of animals and dry dusty conditions. Would it or have you heard of it occurring in fields? Just grasping here to find the possible source or problem. I felt I was pretty secure by singling out the mares and foals into "non contaminated" fields where there are other animals or contaminates...I'm assuming this can't be spread virally??? That its the actual exposure to the bacteria???

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would it or have you heard of it occurring in fields? It can be transmitted in other conditions - it's just more likely in dry conditions.

I'm assuming this can't be spread virally??? That its the actual exposure to the bacteria??? Huh? It's a bacteria... it therefore cannot be spread "virally", as it's not a virus...! Not sure what you mean here!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos: Sorry...I've got too much swimming around in my head and I should sort my thoughts out better. I guess what I am asking is that although it is a bacterial infection, once one animal gets the symptoms, can they in turn spread the bacteria by eating/drinking/fluid exposure to others. I read that it can be spread through manure but let's say that they have nose-to-nose exposure to other animals over a fence line but no direct manure contact to each other, can the other animal(s) get it through saliva/nasal discharge, etc...is the bacteria present in the "fluids" of the infected animal? (Does that make any better sense?) I guess I'm trying to determine if it is contained to only one field/turnout area or if by "nosing" other animals through fencelines can spread the contamination through body fluid contact.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As the bacteria is shed in manure and found in mucus within the foal (which is then swallowed, multiplying the levels that will be passed in the manure to the soil), one should not rule out the possible transmission by other routes, although manure contamination of soil is the major transmission route. Rhodococcus can be endemic on some farms - typically those that have had many foals over the years (as the soil becomes contaminated).

Have the foal tested to rule out the issue - that may save a lot of grief!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 427
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos: Thanks!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US