SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

APHA registry incentive opened " savings up to $400"

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » APHA registry incentive opened " savings up to $400" « Previous Next »

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
Under another topic we were recently discussing cropouts and such being registered with APHA, the current requirements, fees ect.
Well, I was going to pass on registering an older gelding due to the outrageous $500 cost but just this week they announced a registry incentive and you can save 100's.
What would have cost me $500 or more will now only run $100.
So I wanted to spread the word since there may be others looking to due the same.
Now is the time to get it done before this offer closes and it goes back up in price.
You can just go to the APHA site and the link is right on the homepage, you can't miss it.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis, that is good to know. Sounds like they are trying to get their registration numbers up. Did you see how badly AQHA's had fallen last year? I know to register my yearling filly with AQHA it was $300 (incentive fund nomination included) this past February. If we had waited until after her 1st birthday, it would have gone to something like $1,000 (including the Incentive Fund nomination)

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it's just as you said and they are trying to recoup some numbers. I'd imagine since they closed the door to the Qh's and then with the economy and drop in the horse market and breeding, their numbers have probably dropped dramatically.
All I can say is great cause I'm taking advantage of it while i can.
At this price I can still throw in his Ptha registry and then go lifetime with USEF & USDF and get it all done.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis,
He should be worth a pretty penny then on just his registrations alone. He is a pretty boy anyway and I really liked him in the pics you posted under the other thread.
Double registered AQHA/Paints are hot right now in my area of the country anyway. I am thinking about breeding one of my AQHA mare's NEXT year (if my nerves can take it) to a double registered stallion. If the resultant foal meets the color requirements it can also be double-registered then because technically it would have one paint parent, but two AQHA parents with the stallion being double-registered. You were 100% correct in the other post about now having to have one Paint parent, for foals after 2005. Your guy still qualifies 'cause he is older, so "git it done".

I think for Paints to eliminate AQHA crop-outs in their registry now is just cutting their nose off to spite their face. That was a big deal when they allowed it and part of the incentive for AQHA to relax the excessive white rules. I keep waiting for AQHA to decide that they are going to go back to the "old" excessive white rules.

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a shame they've closed the doors on the crop outs. I think they benefited greatly from the introduction and strong influx of QH's to the paint breed. Heck, you would be hard put to find a Paint that isn't mostly QH or a high percentage.
I guess maybe now that they have enough of what they wanted from the Qh they decided they could just drop them now.

wanda
Weanling
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all....I have a question on registry , sorry if it is a little off subject..I rescued a horse from a guy that just was not feeding him..he was in a stall from last Sept until just 2 wks ago,,he said that the horse was registered but he didn't have the paper work with him and I cannot get him to send it to me..is there anyway around this..I know he did not have the horse registered in his name he took the paper work when he bought the horse but then didn't do anything with it...I would really like to get the paper work but I might not be able to after all..just thought I would ask if anyone knows...I think I have to have the paper work don't I...Oh yeah and I know for sure he is registered..my sister in-law does trailoring and just happened to be the one that trailored him to this guys house and they talked to the previous owners at the time of moving him..He is absolutely going to be a wonderful horse..but can't do a whole lot with him until we get some meat on his bones...Thanks for reading..

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
What is he supposed to be registered as? What breed? Different breeds have different protocols on lost/missing papers.

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh..duh...sorry..he is supposed to be registered as AQHA..
he is a 7 yr old quarter horse gelding

Thanks...

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The link below should provide some good info.
http://www.horsesonly.com/articles/buying.htm

AQHA is ticklish and it sounds as if the "trail" is not too good. You will need at least the registered name of the horse to search AQHA for the last recorded owner/registration number. That owner (the last recorded one) would then have to initiate a transfer of ownership. Period. There is no "hardship" registrations etc. in AQHA.
Here is the link to AQHA with further info:
http://www.aqha.com/association/registration/duplications.html

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Catherine...that was very helpful...I might have a way of getting in touch with the owners previous to this guy that I got him from..since my sister-in-law was the one that trailered him from the previous owners..she will at least have their address...so I have a call into her to see if she can help...

That site was very helpful so now I know where to start...

Thanks so much...

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you enjoy your new horse!

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I definitely do..can't do much with him right now but he has been well trained..what I do, do with him his is very eager to learn or show me...he knows voice commands and is willing to go anywhere do anything...so far at least...around the house we have alot of foilage...trees, brush,kids,dogs,cats..etc..he doesn't usually jump from anything and if he does...it just takes a word of correction to get his attention and get him to realize he is ok...he is a real winner...but aren't they all....I cannot wait to get weight on him and ride...he doesn't mind the bridle and bit, I am going to start lunging this week and work him some to get his muscle tone back but I had to wait..he was just skin and bones...but I know he will be a real looker once he fills out!!
Thanks again for your help and sorry if I took things off subject some...

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
Catherine has definitely set you off in the right direction. I can only add that getting the horses registered name will be the key to everything and if need be I've seen unco-operative past owners gladly turn over paperwork, give signatures, ect. when a bit of cash is involved.
If all else fails, offer the previous owner $100 cash for the registry paperwork and he'll probably find it fast.

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis..you will not believe this..I emailed the previous owner and now he is telling me this sob story that his landlord is getting foreclosed on in the house that he is living in and he only has 10 days to get out...and he wants me to give him money...the nerve of him, he practically starved this poor horse to death and he said he would have had to sell him if he would have known this..he would not have gotten anything for him except for animal neglect charges...I don't even know how to respond to something like this..is he crazy....I did him a favor already by giving this horse a good home and not turning him in...I now wander if I shouldn't have reported him...here is a picture of my poor gelding the day we brought him home..and then one about a week after we had him and one that he had used to post the add for this horse...He is Shameless...

This is day 1
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=Amiers1std ayhome031.jpg

This is about 7 days after we got him
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=Amiers1std ayhome039.jpg

this is what he looked like right after this idiot got him...
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=amierbefor eweightloss.jpg

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
By the "previous owner" I am assuming you mean the guy who you got him from? I thought you said previously he didn't even get the horse's paperwork when he got him.
If this fellow never put the horse in his name, then don't even bother with him right now. He's not your problem.

Do you have the registered name of the horse? If so, then check with AQHA and see who his last recorded owner is. Go to them. AQHA will give you contact info.

If this guy you are talking about is the last recorded owner, tell him you want a signed transfer from him or you WILL turn him into the Humane Society for neglect and he will have even more problems than his landlord. If he is after money, then I'm like Phyllis and would throw a $100 bill his way at the same time he exchanged a signed transfer with me. If you have the signed transfer from the last recorded owner, then you can get a duplicate registration certificate from AQHA.

But from what I can decipher, the fellow you got the horse from isn't the last recorded owner and so he can't help you with papers and he isn't your problem. Go to AQHA, find out who the last recorded owner is, then go from there. They are extremely friendly and helpful. There number is (806) 376-4811.

As a side note, I noticed the horse was wearing a cribbing strap in the "before" photo. Is he a cribber? If so and they weren't trying to curb that habit, that could account for some of his weight loss. Don't get me wrong, he is thin and dramatically changed from the "before" photo and it is obvious he has been neglected, but he isn't the worst I've ever seen. If he is a cribber, then you will need to address that habit to put any meaningful weight back on him.

(Message edited by cateowen on May 08, 2008)

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
This is the perfect situation for you IF this is the gentleman that has the registry papers on the horse. Use it to your advantage, be nice don't make accusations or insults, just bite your tongue, get what you need and then you can go home and stick pins in a doll with his name on it.
I know it can be very hard to hold your thoughts when dealing with this man but I've seen alot of people blow the purchase of a needy horse or ever getting papers due to not being able to keep their feelings about the situation at bay. Keep your goal in mind (PAPERS).
I've purchased quite a few over the years like this and I assure you, that down the road you will think that the $100 or so you spent now is nothing compared to what he is worth to you.
As Catherine said he is really not in to bad a shape and should pick up quite quickly. As mentioned, you will have to get control of the cribbing though or it will be a major issue with his weight gain and maintenance.
On the other hand if this guy doesn't have the papers, do exactly as Catherine reccomended, forget he ever existed and deal direct with AQHA on the matter and find the listed owner.
Let us know how it goes and good luck.

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine, Phyllis..you did read it right..the guy I got the horse from did not ever register the horse in his name..he has the papers but did not do anything with them...he is suggesting a lot more than $100...he said he paid $2500 + what he paid for his saddle & tack...and that he wouldn't want the full amount but....it really makes me uncomfortable now...my husband says no way no money even if it means no papers...I really would like to get the papers..I do not have his full registered name..I did look up the partial name that I have for him and one horse did come up but I will contact the AQHA and go from there...
As far as his cribbing..according to my in-laws the owners that had him before the guy that I got him from never had a cribbing collar on him and they do not think that he had the issue before...we have not had the collar on him since he had been here...we have noticed it is very little that he is doing it now..it was bad at first but he had been in a stall since last september and not out at all...I don't think he had any attention and became very bored with his surroundings and developed the habbit...we lined our stall door wih alluminum with the edges being covered so he cannot get cut..and we set his food on the floor to allow more stretching of the neck when he eats...and we give him a lot of attention and I think this will eventually be a thing of the past for him in time...he does not try to do it in the pasture at all and only does it a couple times after eating..the metal on the door has helped, the only thing he can do it on now is his rubber water bucket..I know I need to do more research on that matter too because I do not know everything about it yet but from what I have read it is a habit when a horse is bored and/or not fed so he cribs and the stuff that I have read is what I mentioned above to do to deter(sp) him and I will do more studies to help with this...But I do feel a lot of it was neglect in feed and attention...well he gets plenty of it now..and he gives as much love back as we give...if this horse could reach out and hug you he would... (oh yeah and when the vet came out to do shots and check him over, he floated his teeth too).

I cannot thank the 2 of you enough for your time and assistance...I really appreciate your help and suggestions...I grew up with horses as a kid but not had any as an adult until now...I am 40 now..yikes...so I have a lot to learn..I read something daily to learn, and I love this site...and I just spend time with them and love them..I don't have some high dollared horses but you could have fooled me..

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
I would like to be able to tell you to just go ahead and tell the guy that starved this horse and is now trying to exhort money from you to "go pound salt". But don't do that just yet, you still may need him at some point.

Ignore him for now and pursue discovery of ownership of the horse with AQHA.

If this exhortionist never put the horse in his name, then A) he doesn't keep track of his paperwork very well and probably doesn't really have the papers to begin with and/or B) (and this is the one I think it is) He may have never fully paid the people he got him from and never had the papers to begin with.

If you only have a partial name, then go from there. Give AQHA the description of him and see if it matches the one horse you think he might be. If it does, then contact those owners of record. Now one thing to bear in mind is that if the guy you got him from never paid in full for the horse, then the previous owners may want something? Maybe they don't even know what happened to ths horse? This fellow doesn't sound like the "best sort".

This fellow you got him from sounds like a real "jewel". I am starting to wonder if he had clear title to this horse to begin with. Just out of curiousity, did he give you any sort of "Bill of Sale" or other documentation when he gave the horse to you? I know he "gave" you the horse but do you have any documentation that he indeed gave him to you? If not, were there witnesses when the "transaction" was made?

I don't mean to scare you but what I'm getting at is this guy sounds like a "toad" and what I would hate to see happpen is for you to get really attached to this horse and get him fat and slick and then "Toad-Man" decides he wants him back and does indeed have the papers and wants to claim you and he never had a deal of any sort. From what you have told me about this guy, he sounds like he may well be capable of about anything.

(Message edited by cateowen on May 08, 2008)

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cathrine...You are not scaring me..trust me I have already thought of all this..I am going to start my search hot and heavy early next week..I will prepare for the worst and hope for the best...I still haven;t been able to meet up with my in-laws to talk to them about the whole thing but will hopefully be able to make contact this weekend so maybe I will have more to go on...

Yeah I am thinking he is a piece of work..but I am holding my tongue...we will see how this goes...my husband said I should have just let it go and not worry about the registration...

Oh yeah I don't have bill of sale but I do have emails stating that he gave him to me..and we made all the arrangements to get him over the net...also he listed him on Craigslist..and I have the post from there...so I think I am ok on that account..plus I do have my in-laws that trailered him for me (we paid them to do the service and have a record and receipt) and they can witness it...

I will try to update you both when I get more information!! ;0)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
Bless your heart. I bet that horse is so glad he found you!
Your husband may have a point. What is concerning me is if the fellow you got this horse from never fully paid for him and then you go "rattling the cages" you might find out that the previous owners want the money he owed them! I've seen it happen before.

It depends on how badly you want to get papers on the horse. You seem like a very sensible person, so just "feel it out" as you go; i.e., asking questions of your in-laws, etc.

You know on the other side of the coin, the former owners may be grateful you rescued the ole boy and may not be a bit of trouble. They may be glad he has a good home now and someone that wants to do something with him. They may have previously decided just to "cut their losses" with the guy you got him from.

Regardless, I would just leave the ole boy you got him from out of the mix for right now. He obviously has "issues" of his own to deal with, if he keeps hounding you for money or something, let your husband deal with him. It sounds like he has a good grip of the situation. Toads like that guy sometimes think they can take advantage of a woman too.

Sounds like your behind is covered as far has the guy giving you the horse. This is just the type of ole boy that will come back to haunt you 6 months from now and be wanting the horse back or something. Just keep all your documentation in case you need it in the future.

Keep us posted on your new horse's progress. By the way, what is his partial name? I have access to the AQHA database (members section) and can look him up for you and or any possibilities if you would like. Can at least give you some descriptions to see if they fit him; i.e., color, markings, brands, etc.

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Catherine...

I know he is much happier here..he is a very sensible, loving, well mannered horse...and he shows it everyday in appreciation for his new home and family!! (not that I am boasting..I might not be perfect but I know how to feed a horse and love a horse and the rest I will do whatever it takes to learn..trial and error, hopefully in the meantime I don't ruin him and give him bad habits..LOL)

His name is "Amier" I am not sure if it is spelled Ameir or Amier..but the later is what I think is correct..that is how the other guy spelled it...as far as his markings..he has one white sock(barely a sock not even an inch in the hair but the hoof is blonde..the other 3 hoofs are black, he does have a star I think you would call it (not a blaze) it is a very small spot of white on face above eyes..I don't know colors very well...would say red...his mane is deep red but tail appears black..??? he is 7yrs old and he is a gelding. The guy said he did not know when he was gelded..oh yeah he advertised him at 16hh. I am not totally sure I think he is so my brother-in-law has a measuring tape we were gonna check it to see...
Let me know if there is anything else that would help...

Thank you...thank you...thank you for all your words of wisdom and assistance with this!!!

wanda
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine...I just talked to AQHA and you were right...they are very helpful...I am almost positive that I have the # for our horse and she gave me the name and address of the last registered owners...now...what do I do with it...I really have to decide if I want to go further with this information or if I just want to let it go..if I contact them and the horse was not completely paid for then I would be devasted to lose him...but on the other hand..I don;t really know why but I really want his papers..to me it is kind of like getting a birth certificate for your child..LOL..If I have the correct horse...I found out that he is for sure an quarter horse appendix which I thought was the case and his Daddy was Cowboy Silver (Alrubay) ..so if nothing else maybe I can research his Daddy and just kind of know his background a little!! I didn't think about it but she didn't say who the Dam was....

But I just wanted to Thank you for all your help...I am quite excited to just have this much information about him...

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
Just sit on the information for a few days and think about it.
Are you ever going to show him? If so, then papers are necessary for AQHA shows. That's not to say he can't go on and have a great show career at open and AHSA shows. Just because you don't have papers doesn't mean you can't show him somewhere in something.

Just think about it for a few days. If you pursue it, I think you will probably learn that either he is or isn't paid for and what exactly happened to his papers. The former owners may want cash or they may be happy that he has found a great home and not care.
It will depend a lot on the people.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US