SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What are People's Plans for Their 2008 Foals?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » What are People's Plans for Their 2008 Foals? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My tentative plan is to keep my one and only (yet unborn) foal forever. I'm thinking about showing halter. Never shown before. If it is a colt, I will geld it.

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi CJ: My plan is to keep the baby, as my mare is really sold, I just got her back last year, the buyer (a friend of mine) fell on hard times and couldn't finish paying for her. I'd already purchased another riding horse, so I bred her, hoping that my friend would be in a position to get her after the foal was weaned...the plan is working so far. I didn't want her to go to another home...this girl really wanted her. I hope to keep the baby as a future dressage prospect for myself and possibly pony club prospect for my daughter...we shall see...I hope things work out :-)

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am planning on keeping Zita. Although plans can change. Anyway I will use her for riding and eventually breeding!!

Paul Liberty
Yearling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have all QH racing stock and we put the yearlings in sales, so now that foaling season is over for now, I am sale prepping the 14 yearlings that will be going to sale. Our sales start in July and end in OK City in Sept. We sell in Houston, LA, Calif, Ruidoso NM, Dallas TX.

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am keeping Sky as my next Dressage horse. Will try to get him aproved as a Sport horse and keep him intackt. If he is not of quality or is to hard for me will geld him but always keep him.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nova will be here forever. I figured if he lives to 30 , I'll be 85 and we can go together. He'll probably be a beautiful yard ornament like the rest. Hopefully, he'll take my future grandchildren for safe adventures.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 371
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHENOA WAS A KEEPER FROM THE GET GO,I HOPE HE WILL BE A GOOD TRAIL HORSE FOR MY 9 YR OLD DAUGHTER.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll geld Catcher then possible have my girls show him. Once all thats done I plan on putting him and his mom to a wagon. Both have a home forever. Any future foals will be sold

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These posts are wonderful! I love the variety of plans and reasons given. So cool. Maybe we can get pics up too? A lot of people posted when the foals were newborn, but it might be nice to see them here if anyone is so inclined.

Paul, that is quite an operation you have going. There is a ranch that has a foal sale here every summer. I'm probably going to check it out this year.

Paul Liberty
Yearling

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip,

yeah it's ALOT of work but hey, if I didn't like what I do, I wouldn't be here! lol I've been here on this ranch for 14yrs now and when I first started working here there was only 8 yearlings! That was a piece of cake. We don't stand any stallions here, we just have broodmares and babies and of course after we wean there will be yearlings. It's a never ending cycle and I work 24/7. I'm also a retired jockey!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You work 24/7??? Holy S..." You must love it. I love horses and am sorry I didn't know all the opportunites that are available to work with them. Just got a horse after a few decades of not owning one.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a very interesting job and you dedication is commendable. Do you foal them ouit as well? Or does someone else do that?

How long did you race? That would be an interesting occuapatin as well. Curious, do they pay well for that, or is it on a percentage basis?

When will this foal crop start going up for sale?

Paul Liberty
Yearling

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip,
yes, I work 24/7, even on Sundays! There's no rest for the wicked! LOL

yes I do all the foaling out and I do have a helper that I call to come help me. We both live on the farm and his house is within arm distance so I either knock on his door or I call him on the phone when I see a mare break her water to let him know we have a baby coming.

I raced for 8yrs (back in the 70's) and ended up 'having' to retire because of a bad wreck that I had gotten in to on the track. The pay was based on what the 'purse' of the race was.

This years 2008 foal crop will go to sale when they are yearlings in 2009. Again, it's a never ending cycle as I will be foaling out mares in 2009!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 330
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, I am so intrigued by your work, just as I am with Jon, Tim, and Aimee's (hope I spelled that right) who have posted many times and do the work you do-at least the foaling out part.

Here I am an older woman wishing I'd had any idea such work was available when I was young. Not that a woman would likely have been hired those days. Anyway, I get my fix vicariously through all of you and am just loving having my own horse again.

Perhaps you can share some of your experiences, good and bad. Perhaps on a differnt thread though. I know it isn't all glamour. It's a whole lotta hard work!

Sorry to hear you were injured and had to stop racing. I've heard it can be a dangerous sport, but of course it is the injuries that we hear about. The first time I decided to watch it on T.V., I saw a horrible injury occur to one of the horses and he was put down immediately, as the vet was right there, of course. Owners were devastated. You could tell they cared for the horse. It meant much more to them than just an animal to race.

Anyway, I couldn't watch after that. But so many previous jockeys are on this site, that I might start watching again. I love watching those beautiful creatures in action.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul,
Welcome to the board, I look forward to hearing your many experiences and stories you must have some???LOL

I'm going to keep the baby if its a filly and show her in halter then performance, after I get my FIX then I will do ENDURANCE for the remaining years I have left to ride. ENDURANCE, DRESSAGE is my PASSION!

IF its a colt he will be sold or???? NOT! depends I would like to breed back my mare if the Vets thinks its ok {scratchchin}

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 02:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to get on it and pick a stallion for my mare.

My daughter is trying to talk me into keeping mine as a stallion, if his conformation continues to be as good as it looks now.

He does have very good breeding, so perhaps. I'll see how his disposition develops and so on. I've got time to think about it, that's for sure.

Mary Greer
Yearling
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am keeping my little guy as a reining horse and breeding stallion.. He is getting BIG!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 573
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm leaning toward showing some (sport horse handler) and then if he does well, sell as a stallion, since his breeding is very good. If not, geld and probably sell. I love the little guy, but need a more settled horse to ride, at this time in my life.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US