SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Safe Insecticides for Foals

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Safe Insecticides for Foals « Previous Next »

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here in Missouri, the weather is hot, humid and the mosquitos & ticks have made their appearance with a bang.

My little babies have gotten the worst of the deal because they've chosen the shade to lay down and sleep resulting in having some new pals hitching a meal and ride.

Since its been a long time since I've dealt with babies/baby issues, I'm a bit concerned about what insecticides might be too powerful to use on young ones. These lovely ticks have chosen places to hook onto that quite frankly aren't conducive to me keeping my teeth in my head if I were to hand remove them.

Can anyone jump in and let me know what they use for these foals?

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi I'm with you..we've got ticks already and I am unceretain on what I can use for this. We also have another problem ...our GINORMOUS Flies are going to have a year long Mardi Gras as we had such a mild winter. I've been using Pirhana already on Malik by applying it to a soft rag and then rubbing it on his legs and little body. Are you having terrible flies this year?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 315
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy: Yes we have and these foals are NOT liking these biting creatures at all. Poor little JJ was running around last night with ears pinned back wanting to kick MY face in because of the aggravation.

We're using an "all stock" product on the mares, cows & pigs right now. It states that it is safe for pregnant, lactating animals but I'm a bit leery to use things on babies. I'll have to look at it tonight to find out what the active ingredient is and throw it out there tomorrow and see if anyone knows the safety factor on it.

My poor foals even have some ticks on their little bottoms, tried to take them off but it was like participating in the bronc riding at the rodeo, only I was already on the ground!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a safe product. It is called Equis Marigold. It is in the tack room right now, and I'm inside the hourse. But you might find it by googling. I found it at a feed store. It can be used on anything, near eyes, etc. I will get the exact info. up later.

Evelyn Quigley
Nursing Foal
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Eqyss marigold spray on my foals and myself to keep the critters off. It works great, smells nice, and is safe for foals. It only lasts for 6-8 hours after application so you might need to spray in the morning and evening if the bugs are really bad. I have been adding citronella oil to my marigold spray to help with mosquitos. I got it from a health food store in the essential oils section. I've also used a product called Equisect that is a mild natural pyrethrin water based spray. This is good for foals too and it actually works really well. It is longer lasting than the marigold spray and seems to work better on ticks. I recommend keeping both on hand if you can find them to keep the bugs guessing. My foals also wear Farnam foal fly masks. I also recommend trying fly predators if you don't have close neighbors with livestock. I've had tremendous luck with them keeping the flys under control at my farm.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US