SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Goats and Foals

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Goats and Foals « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My foal will be with goats. Only one has horns. I thought my foal would have playmates, but now I'm concerned that the foal will kick them and cause injury. Anyone have expereince with goats and foals pasturing together?

I am going to continue sectioning the horse pasture off, but unless my mare waits for a month to foal, it will be playing with the goats. I'd appreciate any info. on this.

And while on the subject, when do foals need other foals to play with? I'm considering leasing a mare with foal, just so mine will have a playmate.

Beth Walker
Yearling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 3 goats, all with horns, that are out with our mares and foals all the time. The goats have learned to read the horses well and know which ones to stay away from. They actually get along great. The only problem I have had is that one of the male neutered goats and one of the stud colts loved to play together, the colt would grab the goat by the horn and the goat would end up scuffing the colt up trying to get away but they both loved the game.

I have had plenty of foals that did not have other foals to play with, they just played with mom or the goats and did just fine.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I'm trying to picture this-the colt grabbed the goats horn? Pretty funny! I'd like to see that. Thanks for the reassurance. I feel better now; seriously.

Somehow this sounds sarcastic. Not sure why and not meant to be. Maybe I'm just too sleep deprived. So I apologize if it seems "off."

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't ever personally run goats and horses together but I know it is popular with a lot of people. Especially if you have an "only" foal. Sort of gives them a buddy or two. I haven't ever heard anything "horrid" about the practice. I do think that if they are smallish goats, the foal (once it gets older and more bold) can bedevil the goats some, i.e., the horn-grabbing story --- that is a hoot!
I've never heard of anything the other way around.

When I was just a kid, my grandfather was into TB racehorses and had several with various trainers. I know goats were popular as companions for the running horses and were pretty much a fixture at the stables.

Evelyn Quigley
Neonate
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have five nanny goats with horns that are turned out with my horses and foals. They get along really well and are very patient with the foals. My two year old filly tends to chase the goats a bit, but they can crawl under the fence and escape to another pasture. I'd watch the goats and foals for a few days to make sure there are no personality conflicts going on. They really make great pasture companions since the goats eat tall grass and weeds that the horses won't eat.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, I really wouldn't go to the effort to lease another mare. Your foal will be fine with mom and goats as companion. Even if you separate horses and goats...he'll be ok with just mom.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone. That eases my mind. My biggest concern is the goats getting kicked. They belong to my landlady, and she isn't a horse lover, although she doesn't mind the horse being in the same pasture (except when my girl decides to pen the goats)! LOL

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US