SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Horses and Emus? Help

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Horses and Emus? Help « Previous Next »

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really hoping someone on this board knows something about Emus (yes the big birds).
It seems one has taken quite a liking to my back pasture and doesn't want to leave. I can't find anyone to claim him or who wants to take him thus far, and I certainly don't want to keep him.
I came home this past Sunday from work to find it had gotten into our pasture, I have no idea where it came from. My feed store says that people have turned them loose in the past and they've shown up here and there.
Wonderful! I have a 4 1/2 ft. bird in my back pasture that scares the crap out of me. he hasn't done anything but eat plants and bugs I guess but this thing is big and I don't even like chickens.
My horses are in the front part of that pasture (crossfenced thank god)and at first were freaked out by it anytime it came up near the common fenceline. They seem to have now gotten use to it. I'm concerned with wether or not this bird would do anything to my horses if they were out with it and if there are diseases these birds can carry that could be passed to any of my animals.
It looks quite healthy but honestly I don't really know anything about birds so can't be sure.
I got within about 10ft of him on my 4 wheeler and he just ignored me so doesn't seem aggressive but i don't plan on getting any closer. He's big, has huge legs, very big claws and I'm told they strike like a mule kicks.
Any help or info. on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I have to let my horses into this pasture soon to graze and am worried about how safe it would be for them.
I'm sorry to say but if we can't find some solution or be rid of him we'll soon be having a neighborhood bar-b-que.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 02:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you call animal control to come get him? I would think there has to be someone that could help you out. I don't know anything about emus, sorry :-(

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis,
Those birds can be really destructive and dangerous to be around. We had a neighbor that decided to raise them. This was back when everyone thought they would get rich off of emu meat, etc.
He got two of these things and they were mean as all get out! They can hook you with their claws and they mean business. They sort of jump up and kick forward about like a rooster trying to "spur" something. They started picking on his cattle and ended up gashing him a huge cut under one eye (it seems they go for the face).
They picked on the cattle unmercifully, I don't think they are real even-tempered.
He finally ended up having to literally rope them off of horseback one day and drug them (clawing and attacking) into a trailer and hauled them off to someone else that thought they were going to get rich.

I think they are good eating.

P.S. I would call animal control and see if they will help you out. I think the "emu craze" didn't pan out and people have turned some of the darn things loose. If animal control won't help, then do you have any "critter hunters" in your area? I live in South Carolina and there are several ole boys around here that will come and catch stuff like this.

(Message edited by cateowen on April 10, 2008)

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Made some of these calls the other day and since we live outside the city limits animal control is of no help. After speaking with them, the sheriffs dept and several others I keep getting the same answer "shoot him". I was hoping their could be someone they'd refer me to that might take them but guess not. Nobody wants these things.
Cathy, It seems to be just as you said about the Emu craze and people buying into it thinking they'd be making a bunch of money off of them and then finding out otherwise and dumping them.
I was told by animal control, game warden and sheriff that they themselves don't even attempt to catch them, to difficult and dangerous, they just shoot them.
Also, I keep hearing that they are supposed to be good meat, we may find out yet.
I was sorry to hear they picked at the cattle, I was just hoping that maybe he'd be no threat to other livestock and I could turn my horses out and not worry about it.
I'm sure there are plenty of critter catchers in the area (we're in east TX.) and were I work has even hired them at times for alligator problems.
But Honestly, I'm not willing to waste money to deal with this nuissance.
If anyone knows of an organization or party that may be interested in it please let me know.
Meantime, i guess my horses will have to get use to him and be kept away.
I love living out in the country, but sometimes GRRR!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis,
Just shoot it.
Seriously, these things get territorial, particularly the males, and they are NOT friendly. That's probably why the sheriffs department doesn't deal with them and just shoots the things.

They can be dangerous and I wouldn't risk having one around my horses, particularly one I knew nothing about. Besides the physical dangers, they can carry bird diseases and whatnot. You don't have any small children do you? I definitely would not want one around kids.

I just love the passage I saw in some ostrich and emu handling guide that specifically tells you "Do not come into close physical contact with an emu as they may injure you"

Believe me, the thing will never become a "pet". I wouldn't risk my horses safety and one good gash and having to sew up one of my horses would probably about do it for me.

Shoot it and have a BBQ

P.S. I really think they modeled the raptors in the Jurassic Park movies after these things! I'd rather deal with an alligator.

(Message edited by cateowen on April 10, 2008)

Lorna Glen /Tosh due 4/19
Yearling
Username: Lornaglen

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis, where I live in Calif. there is a tourist attraction called "Ostrich Land" there phone # is 805-686-9696. They have a lot of Ostrich's there and they have a store where a person can purchase all sorts of Ostrich related items. I'm sure they would have some info for you there. I'd be happy to make the call for you if you don't want the long distance charges.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lorna~Hi fellow Californian :-) Of course I am a bit south of you. They have all sorts of things in that Santa Yanez Valley :-) Good idea.

How about a local zoo? Sometimes on line you can find exotic bird breeders in your area that might be interested in coming a collecting your not so welcomed feather friend? Good Luck!

Michelle Richardson
Yearling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis- I hope you can find a safe way to find him a home. A rescue group might be of help, although I am sure you have had the same thought. Please be careful they can be agressive (not all but some) Very powerful animals. Good luck!

Lorna Glen /Tosh due 4/19
Yearling
Username: Lornaglen

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan, I see you are very close to me. We board our horses just a few miles away from where we live and the owner of the property here does not live here, he also lives in Glendale. He lives on Rancho Avenue. He's a retired doctor, his name is James Gernert. How long have you lived in glendale. My Dad lived in Burbank for many years before he passed away.

Adriana Angelich
Nursing Foal
Username: Faluut42

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Cathrine... if know one will come get it (and soon), invinate all your friends and have a nice big BBQ. Ive seen those things in action, and I personally wouldnt get near one with a 20 ft poll.

Give me a call if you have that BBQ, at 4 1/2ft theres planty to go around!! ;D

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adriana,
I have a great BBQ sauce recipe that would probably go will with emu! Mmmmm....mmmmm....mmm.... I think they taste "a lot like chicken".

Seriously, nobody is probably going to "rescue" this thing. Several years ago, many people bought into the theory that emus were going to be "big business", well the whole marketing thing flopped and the creatures are not easy to deal with. Most are nasty and hideous to handle.

PLEASE DON'T TRY TO "CATCH IT", they are dangerous.

Many of the so-called emu breeders around here anyway don't exist anymore. There is no market for these things and that is why people are just turning them loose. They don't want to hassle with them anymore and I don't think anyone ever "gets attached" to one. Like I said earlier, I swear they modeled the "raptor" creatures in the Jurassic Park movies after these things.

I saw the way they "picked on" the neighbors cattle, slashed a couple with that forward toe spur thingy. The neigbor about lost an eye. Bless his heart, he had a pair and was going to "get rich".

They are territorial as the blazes and I can't conceive having one around horses. Like I said, I'd rather deal with an alligator or even a rabid pit bull.

Please just shoot the thing and tell God it died. Its not worth you or a horse getting hurt over.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lorna~ He lives in the Rancho area, very close to the Burbank Border....I board my horses in Shadow Hills about 15 minutes from my house with great trail access to creeks, streams, ponds and the Los Angeles National Forrest...not pine trees mind you but real nice. I have lived in the local area my whole life. Glendale for the past 15 years. I work for the City of Burbank..small world :-)

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock
Username: Horserescuer42

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i cant believe you guys. good eating and just shoot it? obviously not animal lovers. thats just cruel. i have an emu in with my horses and its no problem at all.. hes not mean or anything and gets long with them.

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and yes there are emu rescues..

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,
I'm sorry Tawnya but we are going with the majority on this and he's going to be a cooked bird this weekend. I can't afford to risk one of my horses or dogs being injured. My own kids are grown but i have neighbors with children and I'd never forgive myself if this thing went over to their place and hurt one of them. And if he jumped into my fence he can just as easily jump out.
No one wants anything to do with it, let alone taking it off my hands. I'm not about to even consider trying to catch it.
Catherine is right on the money when she compares it to the Jurassic Park Raptors, he's got claws that look like they could easily gut a person.
Several of the neighbors said they would be happy to prepare a pit and fix it up so that's how it's going to have to be. From all I hear that's what everyone was raising them for anyway, the meat.
I hate that I have to go this route, but i didn't ask for this bird and my animals and their safety comes first.
Heck, my animals are suffering for it. I can't let my horses out on the grass, several of my dogs are being kept locked up in the backyard and I'm afraid to walk out in my own pasture cause this thing's there. I've only gone out on the 4-wheeler to insure if it comes up I can get away from it quickly.
I do love animals but I don't feel I'm responsible for other peoples poor decisions, so when they dump them at my doorstep I am now forced to make a decision and it isn't always a nice one. But, I have to do what I feel is right for my own animals and family first.
Even my vet said shoot the thing and cook him.
It's not like it's going to waste either or being done inhumanely.
I'll be sure to let you know if big bird tastes any good or not.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a HUGE animal lover and honestly I don't think I could shoot the emu myself but I do think it's the right thing to do. Unfortunately if an animal is deemed dangerous and/or aggressive you have to do what is best for your family and current pets. I know this is not any easy decision and I can't imagine being scared to go in to my own yard. Stay safe Phyllis and keep us posted.

Michele
Breeding Stock
Username: Mich

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya wrote: "i cant believe you guys. good eating and just shoot it? obviously not animal lovers. thats just cruel. i have an emu in with my horses and its no problem at all.. hes not mean or anything and gets long with them."

Yes, I'm afraid I also can't believe it. I know Emu's are not indigenous to North America but this exact attitude is WHY so many animals are on the endangered species list. Yikes. Don't you have a zoo nearby? I'm pretty sure they would come and catch the animal. They are not nearly as fierce as has been described [bordering on hysteria] though if you don't know what you're doing they [like horses] can be very dangerous.

But the attitude of hauling out the shotgun and whacking the animal and THEN EATING IT smacks of barbarism. Sorry folks, but this is the 21st century and there should be a better way of doing things now.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone here eat steak, hamburgers, chicken,eggs, cheese etc? If you don't then you have more willpower than I do but if you do then I do not see a difference in shooting an emu and then eating it. Shooting is less cruel than our current slaughter houses and eating it is better than leaving it somewhere to rot. I'm sorry but when an animal could potentially be dangerous to my family and other animals you can bet I will take care of it. She said she called around to see if someone could come out and "rescue" it but no one was willing to help her. What is she supposed to do? Just HOPE that it doesn't become aggressive towards her or her horses? And for freaking god's sake, emus ARE NOT on the endangered species list! Do you raise emus Michelle, do you personally know how to take care of them? If you do maybe you can tell the OP how to safely catch it then.

I don't consider shooting and eating the emu barbaric. Did you know it's actually considered more humane to shoot a horse than to euthanize it? Unless someone is walking in this person's shoes I don't think we have the right to judge.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I just reread the posts and Phyllis stated that the Game Warden, sheriff, animal control ,all told her they are too DANGEROUS to catch and to shoot it! Again, what is she supposed to do? Not everyone has zoos by them and they will not always come out anyway.

Michele
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And for freaking god's sake, emus ARE NOT on the endangered species list!"

I think we shouldn't get too hysterical over this Tracey: I stated that this is the REASON why so many animals ARE on the endangered species list.

Each to his own...

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not hysterical Michele. I think comparing emus to say jaguars (that are endangered) is being ridiculous. I feel for Phyllis and I don't think we should be judging her if we are not there talking to the people in her area that cannot help her. I would assume everyone on this board are animal lovers and would want the best for every animal out there. Do not judge others unless you want to be judged yourself is all I'm saying.

Michele
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get real, I'm not judging anyone. You would do well to read more carefully. I DID NOT COMPARE EMUS TO ANYTHING.

I was trying to get across the point that at some time or other almost every animal on the ES list was considered a 'nuisance' for some reason or other and THAT IS WHY they are on the ES list now.

I also think if one tries hard enough there is a better way than just killing something because it's convenient. If in exceptional circumstances one is forced to do so, there is no need to do it in a barbaric manner and make a joke about it. It might not be meant that way, but it sure comes across that way.

I've come across a lot of the 'shoot it if it's in the way' mentality and the consequences are sickening.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we are having a hard time communicating. I didn't mean that you were saying that emus are endangered, I just thought that bringing up endangered species really didn't have anything to do with this. You obviously do. I think now a days the world is getting better about protecting animals, (especially the USA)and although there will always be the "shoot it" mentality, I would like to think the majority of educated people would not automatically jump to this.

Again, you ARE judging her by saying that what she is choosing is wrong and barbaric. You also are assuming that she is choosing this way because it's "convenient" and not because it may be her only option. That is judging. Unless you have talked to her one on one and heard the whole story I just think it's unfair to jump to conclusions.

Yes, people have been saying to bbq it and eat it afterwards but honestly would you rather she shoot it and then toss it away? Sometimes people joke when a situation makes them feel uncomfortable and maybe that's what's happening. I honestly don't know but I don't think anyone here is intentionally malicious or spiteful so I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You said yourself it isnt aggressive. you are just going by what a person said that they can be. ive never seen an aggressive one. where are you located? there are people in missouri posting on craiglist wanting one now for a pet .

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya, I think she's in Texas. That would be great if someone could take it off her hands. :-)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Good Lord! This thing is probably "wild" and it either got out or someone turned it loose. Either way I'd bet the odds )and most likely win) that this thing is NOT friendly nor easy to deal with. Hence, its unwelcome presence in poor Miss Phyllis' backyard.

This is a common occurence throughout the US. The "emu craze" of the late 90's, early 2000's has died away now that people have figured out they aren't going to get rich now. If you want to be angy and upset at anyone, be angry and upset at the people that imported these things by the thousands and are now abandoning them right and left. Leaving it to people like poor Phyllis to try and decide what to do with them. Your anger and railing is entirely misplaced.

Anyone who hasn't seen an aggressive one of these things hasn't been around them much. By their very nature they are aggressive, territorial and dangerous. If someone has seen a "sweet" one, then I guarantee it is the EXCEPTION, NOT the rule, and they probably don't have to deal with the thing full time 24/7. They are fine as long as you leave them alone, don't invade their territory and basically give them a wide berth.

I've seen these things "in action" and they are dangerous. When the handling manuals are telling you "never attempt to come in close physical contact with an emu, unless necessary, as they may injure people if they feel that they are forced to defend themselves" then the thing is DANGEROUS, I don't care if it is a bird, alligator, or big cat of some sort.

I adore animals, particularly MY OWN. Therefore, if its something dangerous like this bird being a potential threat to my precious horses, dogs, and children, sorry, but the bird loses.

My particular favorite passage from "emu literature" is one from an Australian boys school that raises the things for meat. They can't start their rowing season however until all the emus are "off the school grounds". Apparently the thing (emus) hang around the water (hunting) and this is a "rib-tickler": "This is also why we have a Sydney-Hobart yacht race that starts on December 26, because this is the first day of summer on which we can be sure there will be no emus in the water off the Heads, where they prey on passing sharks, and occasionally attack a slow-moving boat."

If these things don't mind attacking a shark or boat, then they aren't going to mind attacking YOU!

I've seen them in action and watched a pair of them pick on a cattle herd unmericifully one summer and the fellow that owned them almost lose an eye.

The fact that people in other parts of the country "want" these things, may be true and I suppose if they are willing to pack up and come out to East Texas to Miss Phyllis' place and get the thing in a timely manner at their own expense, then I am sure they would be welcome to it.

As it is, I don't see that happening and it appears to me that Phyllis has indeed exhausted all her local resources in trying to get rid of the thing. I think she has prudently decided that the best course of action would be to rid herself of the thing as expediently as possible. What is she supposed to do? Keep her horses and dogs penned up in eternity in fear of the thing? What if it goes after some small neighborhood child and hurts them, then Phyllis is liable because she has allowed the bird to live on her property.

These things were imported for meat, egg and oil production, not as "pets". Heck the ability of them to regenerate body parts is well known by the Aussies and they in fact "farm" their legs because they can regenerate new ones. Look it up its a fact.

Any of you that think shooting the thing is cruel, then should be willing to load up and come get the thing and make sure it has a good home if you are that upset about it. Otherwise, I think Phyllis is doing the best she can under the circumstances. The sheriff, the vet, etc. have all given her the same advice.

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,
You'll be happy to know it was far from barbaric but just one clean shot to the head from our rifle and another when it was down for insurance. No one in their right mind would use a shotgun for something like this, that would be rather barbaric.
I can assure you that this is far more humane than being hit by a car or dealt with at a slaughter. If you think the chicken you eat is put to death or handled better, you are sadly mistaken.
I am not a vegetarian by any means, most of my family does hunt and fish and I see nothing wrong with this if you aren't doing it just for the sport of it but actually utilizing the meat. I am currently at work on night shift myself but my husband and others are busy cooking him, so nothing wasted.
Michele, if you or anyone in your area is interested in getting some Emu's just come on down to Texas and catch as many as you can haul. From everything I hear they are running free all over the countrysides of Texas and nobody, not even the zoos want them.
First and foremost, I made a commitment to MY animals and pets when I brought them to my home, and part of that commitment was to do everything in my means to insure they're safety and well being.
I don't make this type of decision hastily and don't like having to make it at all. But, because some other irresponsible and uncaring party didn't make the right decision to begin with they didn't leave me with alot of options.
We are outside city limits so I can't even get dumped and stray dogs picked up yet I don't
"Just Shoot" every one that shows up at my place. I probably find homes for more dogs in one year than most people deal with in a lifetime.
I'm also quite familiar with the Houston SPCA from bringing in pets (which is about an hours drive for me).
Had I said this was a 4ft. snake in my pasture or yard (which we do have) I have no doubt it would be a different matter.
Heck, for the animal lovers who think we did a horrible thing. Since snakes are quite common and an everyday site at our place, would you like me to box and ship the next poisionus one I come across your way instead of "just shooting it"?
I can assure you this will be within a 2 wk. period, 95% probability of being a cottonmouth, minimum of 2ft. long and I would strongly suggest a 20ft pole to open the box, because I can guarantee they are quite badly tempered, aggressive and even deadly. Feel free to e-mail me with your shipping addresses.
I do very much appreciate the information people on this board and elsewhere gave me concerning this bird, cause I have never dealt with one, and didn't have much knowledge about them and their possible actions ect. I'm very grateful I asked before doing something stupid that could have gotten myself or my animals hurt.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis, I'm glad to hear everything went as well as it could of gone and this is not something you have to worry about any longer. :-)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis,
You did the ONLY thing you could given the circumstances. This thing was an unknown and potentially very dangerous. I don't think it would have been any different than dealing with an alligator or some other "foreign" species that would have showed up on your farm. The bird may have been in the very minor percentage that aren't difficult, but it could have also eviscerated you and you did the right thing by not attempting to "find out". When law enforcement, game wardens, etc. won't attempt to "catch it" then there is probably a good reason.

I wrote this in an earlier post but if someone wants to be angry about this, then they need to direct their anger toward whoever let this thing loose. Obviously no one had reported it missing to the Humane Society, game warden or sherriff as I think you contacted them all. If I had to bet money in Vegas on this, someone "set it free". This is going on all over as emus are difficult and downright dangerous in many cases to handle and people didn't get "rich" off them like they thought they would. If someone wants to be angry about this then they need to direct their anger toward these people that are just turning these things loose or leaving them to starve, etc. There is a lot of that going on and I suggest they direct their energies toward solving those problems.

As I mentioned earlier when it comes down to a SAFETY factor for MY animals, children, etc., sorry, but the bird (alligator, coyote, whatever) is going to lose. I have too much invested in my horses and children are priceless. Certain people probably wouldn't like my "coyote policy" either.

Seriously, emus are supposed to be good eating. I've had it one time in a restaurant and it was sort of like duck.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok~I am going to wade in the mud puddle~

How did it taste? :-)

Jennifer Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Black_opal

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Jan! I was wondering the same thing! Inquiring minds want to know, Phyllis!

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,
I had to be at work when they cooked the bird. I'm on night shift this week (12 hr shifts) so I didn't get to try it myself but my husband did. He said he could understand why they didn't get rich on them. He said it was okay, but not great and kinda like a cross between duck and pork. But not much at all like what he was expecting (thought it would be more like turkey or chicken)Definitely not something he was crazy about or would buy much. They cooked the meat like steaks.
I guess I should have looked up some good recipes online for them to use before they started. Maybe there's certain ways to cook it or season it to bring out the best in it.
I'm just glad to be rid of it and my animals are thrilled to be back to normal and enjoying their pasture.
I hope I never have another one show up again.
I was shocked at some of the stuff I read that Catherine posted about them in Australia. Why in gods name anyone ever thought it a good idea to import them to the U.S. I'll never understand.
I'm just thankful the poisionous snakes we shoot can't regenerate parts like these Emus can. Yuck! that's creepy.

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a matter of fact since I'm here at work tonight and have some pics I took of big bird here, I went ahead and put them online.
I took these pics when he first showed up so I could bring them to work, figured nobody is going to believe this. Hope I got this link right.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/shadowbend01/IMG_0044.jpg

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/shadowbend01/IMG_0048.jpg

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure I want to log in one this, but I will say that on "Animal Cops," or one such show, a very experienced man was helping on a rescue in Texas. There were many animals to be moved. He said you have to be extrememly careful because the birds (could have been an emu or ostrich, but I think it was an emu) could "gut you," with their spurs. I think he meant when they feel threatened, but either way, it sounds like they can be a big problem.

I've been a vegetarian for over two years now, but I don't see any difference from shooting it and eating it, than eating steak wrapped up in cellophane with an experation date on it. I do not believe there are humane slaughter houses, but that is another topic that is probably not appropriate for this site, so I'll stop there.

If you've exhausted all the resources you can think of, then I think shooting it is a solution. Have you tried the SPCA though, or Craig's list? Someone might take it off your hands. Just an idea.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip, she already shot it :-) I don't know if you missed any of the posts but she did try everything she could think of before it came to shooting it but it's already done and overwith now. :-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 02:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad that came to an end. Thanks for the post. I thought I read every one of the posts, but guess not. Yes, I know she tried several avenues.

I guess it just shows that people need to think about the responsibility of animal ownership. An animal still deserves the owner's care, even if it has outlived its "usefullnesss.

Phyllis, I'm sorry you had to deal with that due to someone else's irresponsible ownership. Anyway, glad it's done with.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis,
Your husband is right, they do taste weird. I had emu in a restaurant and I am sure they used a great recipe (this place is known for great "exotic" food) and it tasted like sort of "off" duck, so a recipe may or may not have helped it.
I agree with him too, I can see why no one got rich off them. The Aussies don't even appear to like the things and I am sure were more than happy to ship them off by the boatloads to crazy Americans back in the 1990's. I remember the whole "emu oil" thing, was supposed to be the natural anti-aging thing. Isn't even a blip on the radar screen now.

BTW, I don't think your bird looked "friendly" in the least.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US