SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Veterinary Charges -- What do you Pay?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Veterinary Charges -- What do you Pay? « Previous Next »

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discussion under another thread got me to thinking about starting this post. It seems to me like my vet is more expensive now than my family doctor!!!

I just paid $45 for a health certificate yesterday and an add-on horse was another $30!!! I can remember just two years ago paying $15 for the first horse and $5 for add-on horse(s).

What are some things that ya'll have noticed have gone up dramatically/are ridiculous?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in California, this is what I recently paid for my 5 year old gelding who went to a show in Arizona in March.

$45 for health certificate
$60 for a vet visit and then $35 for the exam
$20 for a Rabies shot
$45 for a Coggins

WOW...better not let my husband see all the vet bills at one time :-)

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I paid $60.00 for the call (vet came to me) and $75.00 for the exam, which was a visual only. I wasn't getting a health certificate. I live in CA.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 03:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had the vet out to float teeth and it was $45 for the farm call, $150 for the float and an additional $25 for sedation.

Mary Greer
Yearling
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last time I took a horse to the vet it was only $118 total... She had fescue poisoning and that price included:: bute/anitbioctic injection, exam, 200 pills(antibiotics) and checking the foal.. the exam was $37.50,the foal check was $20,The pills were $50.50, and the injection was $10.... I am in Oklahoma

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live a ways out so the biggest thing for me is the farm call. It ranges from $45-$90 or more if it is after business hours for an emergency. However I think I pay something like $10-$15 for a coggins test. $35 for an ultrasound, ( if I can even get the guy here but that is another story). :-) Sedation is $10-$20, and palpation $25+, I think.
I just took the dog in for her three year rabies, three year shots, a check up, and we got a supply of heart worm pills for the rest of the year and the bill was between $80-$90. This is the same vet for most of my horse care needs. So that gives you an idea of what they charge. :-)

Bobbi Govro
Yearling
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just had the vet out yesterday for an emergency IGg test on my foal and check up on my other mare. I like Emily, live 40 minutes away from my vet.

Farm/Field/Emergency Call for both baby 7& mare: $125
IGg Test: $40
A Good Night's Sleep: Priceless!!

For regular yearly exams:
Farm call for 5 Horses: $80.00
Coggins: $20.00
West Nile: $22.00
Equine Rabies: $15.00
Float Teeth: $75.00
Sedation: $35.00
Caslick Removal: $25.00
Health Certificates: My vet does them for nothing...I spend enough money with them a year (we have cattle & hogs as well).

I'm in Missouri.

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Health Certificate $11.00
Coggins Test $31.00
Ultrasound $35.00
Insurance exam $53.00
Sedation: Rompun $11.00
these fees are with me hauling to the clinic. I'm only about 25 min from my vet.
I am in western Nebraska. about 30 miles from Wy state line

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all. Well I think we can agree that vets are striving to make just as much as their human (Dr.) counterparts!

I guess I just got really "galled" about the health certificate charges the other day. I mean this has been my vet for YEARS and on the average I probably spend $2,000-$3,000/year with them between horses, 2 dogs and a cat. That's if nothing catastrophic happens. I just got thru with an approximately $1,500 bill when it was all said and done when my baby filly (yearling now) decided to try and go UNDER the "horse safe fence" we just installed and took a flap of skin off her face that required about 40 stitches and a drain tube. (She is fine now and you would never know anything had ever happened to her.) Thus my "bright idea" to get major medical on all my horses after that. I should've done it sooner. Just that one "little" incident about paid my premiums for four horses for a year!

I always pay him typically when services are rendered and I can't think of one time he has ever had to wait on his money. He is a good vet and I really like him, but it just seems in the last year especially he has just gotten outrageous on his fees!

I just think a price increase from $15 per health certificate to $45 all of a sudden is really steep.

As a side note, I typically haul my horses to the clinic as the farm call charge is $60 and if they have to go over 10 miles from the clinic they are $75 on that. I'm not certain what they would charge you just to drive out to your place if it was more than about 10 or 15 miles from them.

Also, I do all my own vaccinations except for the rabies which has to be administred by a vet in this state (South Carolina). I have done a cost analysis on that (vaccinations) and I can order (next day air) my vaccines and do them myself for four horses for what my vet charges to vaccinate one (and thats hauling it in to the clinic). Ditto with the worming.

Teeth floats are sold in a "package" by him and the annual float for my older horses is about $200 now (just this month for one of my mares I had done prior to going to the broodmare farm).

I think he charged $150 for the ultrasound "package" for my last mare I had done.

Everything is a "package" with this vet now.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put this on another link, but I had the vet out today. He gave all vaccines, sedated her, due to her fear (another story told elsewhere on this site). gave me a two month supply of a equine glucosamine medicine, answered lots of questions, did a quick look-see of vulva and evaluation. All cost $395.00. Farm call was only $45.00. My other vet charged $65.00 and he was closer to my house than this one! Anyway, it has been expensive, but gotta do what I gotta do!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US