SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Six weeks old and things I've noticed

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Six weeks old and things I've noticed « Previous Next »

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do these usually happen? his muzzle and hooves are turning dark. Hasn't shed his fuzzy coat. Still dropped-(his little thing). Around his eyes are getting dark circles. Chewing his mommas mane and eating her poop.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All normal! :-)

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He will start on the tail next.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane,
That's funny and so true. The little buggers like to chew.

Kay, he will be "dropping his little thing" for a while, they don't really concern themselves with it when so little.

If he is darkening up around his eyes, he is started to shed baby hair. I looked back at his pics under another thread and his mama looks sorrel but I don't know what color his daddy was.

We had a brown mare that when bred to our chestnut stallion would have the brightest red sorrel foals and then the baby hair would come off and they would be brown like her. They would start shedding around their eyes first and look like little raccoons!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Catherine for spending the time to check on my baby. Mom is sorrel and Dad is blue roan. Color calculator said equal chance of getting sorrel, black, bay, bay roan, red roan, or blue roan. He looks now to be bright red with 3 stockings and blaze. Will the stockings possibly change- hope not? but hooves are turning dark and some streaked dark and light. He does have bright red mane and foxy tail. I wouldn't care if he was ----. You can fill in the blank, I LOVE HIM! Yes, sorrel was my least favorite choice of the six but no matter at all.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, his stockings, blaze and such won't change. He is a flashy little guy. My favorite is a red sorrel with lots of white. I guess I came along when Secretariat was the "Supreme Being" of the horse world and just fell in love with him.

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With my babies if I have a creep feeder setup for them they stop chewing tails. The hard part is setting up a creep feeder that is mare proof.

I had a colt that did not drop "his little thing" it caused a kink in the hose and he urinated out his navel, be glad he is dropped.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, at six weeks, he is old enough to introduce him to a creep feeder.

He will still chew on everything, I think part of it is that babies just like to "mouth" things.

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a sorrel mare bred to a blue roan and got a red roan colt.
1st pic is 11 days, & no sight of roaning http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/horses/BOGEY8-29.jpg
3 months http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/horses/11-18-06_BOGIE.jpg by 6 months he was a beautiful red roan

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they like a horse proof ball at this stage? Like the ones sold in feed stores for horses? There is a sort of handle at the top, that they could chew on.

I remember even two year olds liking to chew on their lead ropes.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ,
I don't know if they would play with one or not, they might. To be honest I haven't ever thought about "toys" for babies. Babies get real "mouthy" and creative, so they may like the handle thingy on the top. Good thought. Mine always seemed to be really partial to chewing on mama and each other. And....then one decides to see "what does this board taste like"? Hmmmm..... and that blanket, and that bucket.....

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, I would love it if he would go on and turn to roan, but he's a doll no matter what. I'm going to try to find one of those balls. I've seen them in the catalogs and i think he would like it. He plays with anything I bring out to him. I've tried a swimming noodle, a towel, and I've sacked him with a plastic bag tied on a lunge whip(won't let him play with that).

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay,
Get him a puppy!!!

Now I'm being silly!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like the boys like to play with balls, the girls don't seem to be interested.

[URL=http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/?action=view&current=barney_web _3-1.flv]

Michelle Richardson
Weanling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather that video is great. Some of my "grown up" horse love to play with the ball when I bring them into the areana for just a playtime! Thats a very handsome colt you have as well.

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, he is 3/4 welsh pony. The video was taken when he was about 10 weeks. He is now 2 and gelded last week. I think he misses the good old days.

Michelle Richardson
Weanling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't we all!! By the way my husband love his name. He wants our upcoming foal to have a very creative name as well.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, Where did you get that ball. That looks sooooo much fun. I think Nova could really get into that. Please tell me where to order one.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kay,

I use an human excercise ball like that for turn out time and I have several "cones" smaller ones in the stall and a jolly ball tied up and dropped to the right heighth. My Gracie pics up the cones and tosses them and has so much fun. she plays with the ball too. The big ball is just for supervised turn out.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The video is so cool! I love that colt, he's gorgeous. I have an exercise ball, I wonder if my horses would like to play. Probably not, they're older and much less active. But I'll definately try it on my foal when she (notice I'm saying she) lol, comes along. :-)

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Everyone,
Playing with balls for adult horses is not seen very often here with my horses, alhtough I have a a Stallion that will play with his rubber bucket as soon as I see him and he see's me he stops and walks off, its the funnest thing I have seen almost like he was caught not acting like a STALLION??? whatever that is???

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US