SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Trainning older mare to tie

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Trainning older mare to tie « Previous Next »

Cheryl Johnson
Neonate
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching an older horse to tie? Mine goes berserk. Got her an unbreakable halter/rope, but she ends up hurting herself because she pulls back so hard (stretched the rope halter until it is too big on her now). Any suggestions? I won't do anything at all until the foal is a couple of months old at least (due late May). Thanks and I sure do appreciate this board.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 967
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a rope with about a ft of bunjee cord on it. It works really well bc it gives without teaching them that they can get away. do you know why she doesnt tie? I had a mare that was snubbed and sacked out and therefore wouldn't tie unless you tied her very long. I had to make tying a positive expierence for her.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you could work with her on that tie her loose and when she pulls back immediately tap her on her hip/rump with a lunge whip or long crop so she steps forward and then praise praise praise. I had one horse that was that way because he found it to be successful for him in his former home. He got loose everytime so it just took some time and gradually worked up till he can be tied. I would also hook him up to a hot walker not turned on so he would go madly in circles no place to go till he learned it was all for nothing and would just stand. I think Clint Anderson has a special tie ring for those pullers too...

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Weanling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Aussie tie ring, Clinton Anderson promotes. Highly recommand this.

Beth
Weanling
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheryl, she could be reacting to bad memories from previous owners. Does she seem scared? Even if she doesn't, it is really important that you make it a pleasureable experience for her. Especially, especially important if she does look scared. Only tie her up for a few minutes at a time- as she gets better, gradually increase the length of time you leave her tyed up for. Don't know anything about those tie rings, so I can't say anything about them. Hope this helps you.

Cheryl Johnson
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you all for the suggestions. I can't seem to answer individual posts. Do you think cross ties would be better? The problem is, she pulls back and because she is not entirely sound, she hurts herself doing that.

She tied just fine the first week I had her, then overnight, a different horse; distrustful. I lived in a roomate situation where horses were boarded. I think someone might have moved her for some reason and scared her. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Or, as someone suggested, something may have triggered an old memory.

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the aussie tie ring. At the time I bought it, it came with a video. The main reason I bought it was to tie the baby...and it looked safe. As a child I had a horse that would pull back. I use it now as a quick tie. It really is something that I feel I couldn't do without. They have the same generic tie ring out there that I have seen in tack shops.

Cheryl Johnson
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni-I'm not sure why she pulls. She was a perfect mare the first week I had her. Tied, walked up to me in pasture, etc. Overnight she changed. Got fearful. Wouldn't go to the tie rail. She and I lived on a horse boarding place.

Anyway, either someone did something to her after I got her, or she reacted to a strong memory of mistreatment, for she suddenly changed. But-here's the thing. She broke the lead, and suddenly knew she could get free.

So I got her an unbreakable halter and rope and with help of others and lots of TLC we got her tied-then she pulled back and pulled and pulled-hurt her hind leg some. She's 18 years old and I'm pretty sure she was a reining/roping/penning horse.

A few days later, same thing. But this time she had a little worse injury to the opposite leg, that slowed her movement. But it didn't seem to be too bad. And not to blame anyone else, but I didn't listen to my own instincts to keep her confined for a day or so. Instead, I complied with the person who leases the place and has a lot more horse knowledge than I do, to put her back in a small pasture with the mare she normally "bunked" with, but who was dominate.

The next morning when I came out, she fell twice while she tried to get into a secure place away from the other horse. She had pulled a muscle during the night; I think as a direct result from the previous injury. So now I have a horse I dare not tie. It has been over three weeks and there is still tremendous swelling on her right hindquarter and she has trouble turning in a tight area and backing up.

So of course, I'll do nothing until she is healed. The vet said it could be a few months and she may have a stiff leg due to scar tissue. I may never be able to tie her again, but it is a problem, of course, since she is learning some bad manners now like, "Ha! I can do what I want!" So I would love to find a SAFE way to tie her. I can never chance her pulling back again.

It is a horrible lesson for me to learn and I'm very sorry I let this happen to her. She is a wonderful horse and deserves better. I've since moved with her to a different home, where I will be the only one who manages her.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US