SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal Fencing- Safety concerns

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Foal Fencing- Safety concerns « Previous Next »

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are planning on building a wooden fence paddock type pasture connecting to the barn, for my mare and foal.

Approx 200 x 150 rectangle with 3 boards of 1x6.

Any suggestions on spacing or were to string hot wire in behind fence ?

Should I string the hot wire in between the spacing of the boards or just put a top and a bottom wire up?

I would like to hear from others who have raised foals and any unsual circumstances that have occuried with your foals and the fences, so I can be aware of things that I might not never think could happen.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 415
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would string hot wire along the top. You can put it on the bottom too, if you want to keep dogs out. We had wooden fence when I was a kid, but not since. I know they are tons of maintenance and if not painted regularly, they will rot out (which is dangerous). I like Electro-Braid fencing myself. It is high tension, visible, electric rope fencing. You only have to put in posts at 40 feet apart. Lots less maintenance as well as lower initial cost. The electric box is the most expensive part if you want a solar one (which I would recommend). We fenced in approximately 10 acres and the cost was about $1800.00. It is high tensile so if they do run into it, they bounce off. It packs a good ZAP so they only touch it once and then respect it well. Yes, safe for foals.

Catherine Owen
Weanling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, 1x6 boards aren't sturdy enough for horse fencing. They can break right thru them, i.e., one kick and they are gone. Worse yet, they splinter or shard and then are dangerous.

2"x6" are what I would recommend. Three boards are the minimum depending on how you space them. I am always amazed at how those little guys can get out under/thru the fences.

My personal preference --- I hate any type of single strand wire fencing below about the two foot level. High tensile fencing is a bane to me. On our old place, I had a horse kick one time and got his back foot over the bottom wire of a high tensile electric fence (bottom wire was at about 1 foot) and then he of course pulled the foot forward and ended up slicing his leg down to the bone. Another mare was pawing and hooked her front hoof over the bottom wire and sliced a piece of her foot off. This was 12 gauge wire.

If you do use something at the bottom of a fence I suggest something with a low break strength such as that Bayguard wire (yellow and black stuff). I would rather repair the fence than the horse.

On our new farm, our perimeter fencing is done with the 2"x4" non-climb fence at a 4' height. We then have a strand of the 1/4" polyrope that is electrified along the top of the fence (at about 54") to keep them off of it. The field fencing keeps dogs and other critters out and as an extra precaution we have run that polywire at the 6-inch level on the OUTSIDE of the field fence to discourage dogs/coyotes, etc. even further and to shock them if they get the bright idea to start digging under the fence. This strand is on the outside of the field fence so the horses don't come into contact with it. We also Roundup the outside of the fence line about twice a year so you don't get weeds/grass growing up and interferring with the electric fence part.

Dogs are a real nuisance to me around the little babies, until the foals get bigger. I don't even let MY dogs around my weanlings too much. We also have a coyote population in our area.

Of course my vet and I both agree that you could keep horses in padded cells and they would most likely find some way of injuring themselves!

Hope this helps.

(Message edited by cateowen on February 28, 2008)

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, any others ?

Right now our pastures are done with 6ft t-posts with plastic caps on all the posts and 3 lines of Aluminuim wire, not high tensile.
I prefer the alumimuim because it does break if they run into it and we are on 100 acres and 2 miles off the road, so I'd rather fix the fence and not the horse if I have a choice
Bro-in-laws new horse ran there mare through a high tensile and it all most cut her front leg off, took over a year to completely heal.

I was looking at the polyrope and the 1/2 " poly tape today to use for the hot wire.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The high tension fence I am referring to is a 3/8" rope that is electrified.....NOT wire. Because it is set at 40 foot intervals, it is not SO high tension that it would cause those types of injuries. We had a yearling go through it last year (before we had the electric box hooked up!) and the rope pulled off the insulators before she could injure herself.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We put up a fence last year for our foal pasture, we used 47" net wire with poly tape around the top. It has worked fine for us.

Catherine Owen
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Dianne, I think the field fence (i.e., netting, etc.) works best for foal pastures because of dogs and coyotes. If you don't have those issues then the polyrope, tape is fine, or board fence. What type of mare/foal do you have/are expecting?

Can ya'll tell I am absolutely paranoid about dogs and coyotes
We have 16.5 acres and the woman to the north of me (on 5 acres) rescues any and everything that comes down the road and what people drop off (word seems to have gotten out). That is all well and good, but her dog pack is up to about 20 right now! And of course she doesn't confine them or anything. Just lets them run "free". There is a large cattle farm to the north of her and she and this fellow got into a huge row last year because he ended up shooting 3 of her dog pack because they were chasing calves and actually pulled two down! She seems actually offended that he took action against her dogs. Also, that he requested payment for his calves, which the dogs killed. I'm all for helping animals but this woman is one of these that takes on too much and then doesn't take care of them. The Humane Society has been out once.

Then there are the coyotes. We have a known pack in our local neighborhood. I think they actually take up with the dog pack down the road and they have started running together.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have coyotes here too. I can hear them outside at night, saw one walking across the field about a month ago in broad daylight!
My dad has a dairy and had a pack of dogs doing that to his cows, when they laid down to have babies the dogs would attack, killed 3 0r 4 babies and a mom and baby still half born...thus the net fencing.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 882
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We also have coyotes and a wandering Puggle! It sounds funny but it's actually not. Our neighbor has a puggle that occasionally runs free which normally doesn't bother me but I found it in our field the other day nipping at my pregnant mare's hind legs! To say I was angry is an understatement! I chased it off and it hasn't come back but the neighbors will be getting a visit if it does.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Blk/wht spotted TWH 16.2h who is the Alpha of out little herd of 3. She is very alert and nothing goes by unnoticed by her.
They will be stalled at night only out during the day. We have 2 ACD's that keep any stray dogs away and we very rarely see a stray, but if its messing with the cows or the horses and comes back more than twice, my huband takes care of them and they won't be back.
My own dogs will be pinned up when we are not here till the foal gets bigger, because I don't know how they may react to the new foal.

Would it be safe to run polytape between the spaces of the 3 boards like between the 1st/2nd and the 2nd/3rd to fill in the void between boards?

Michele
Yearling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like electric fencing for foals as they seem to have no regard for it - will run through it regardless of the voltage. Here I'm talking about electric tape +-1 3/4" wide, not wire - that's just asking for serious injuries. If the mare won't let you near the foal easily and / or the foal is not very trusting, it is very difficult to work within an electric fence as when the foal panics it will just go straight through. Not once only, either. You'll end up with major reconstruction work, probably on the foal as well as the fence.

Sturdy wooden fences are safest as the foal will not be able to push them over or get through them and they are a great visual boundary. Hot wire right on top to prevent cribbing is a good idea. The mare will know the wire is there and while the foal is very young will probably keep it away from the fencing anyway for the most part. As it gets bigger and can see better it will find out for itself.

A small diameter welded mesh fence is safest to keep other animals out, but is expensive. Perhaps have a happy medium and use a combination with a smaller 'safe' paddock for foals which are under 3 mos.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well here is what we have done so far.
It is 50" high and has 12" space between the rows, so I was thinking of putting the wide electric tape in between the gaps till the foal is bigger.
Does this look like it will be safe enough for my mare and foal ?
http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/33592/2242250460048868759S425x425Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/35552/2152923160048868759S425x425Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/22692/2271082580048868759S425x425Q85.jpg

Michele
Yearling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks really great - esp when you put the tape up, the foal will keep well away. Just watch out for all the trees though while it's little, their judgement and eyesight isn't too great.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband is going to grade it off all down around the trees and get all the snarly stuff off the ground and make sure the trees and any limbs mare height will trimmed off smooth and flush.

I think it will work great, we plan on leaving the hallway of the barn open and the foaling stall tied open so they can go in the barn durning the day if they like, also the barn and this new paddock is only 150ft from my back door, and I can watch out my kitchen window.

Catherine Owen
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think your fence looks great!

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Yearling

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I have installed a 1 1/2" electric tape between the bottom boards on my fence and have caught up to the work crew, just got more posts in so hopefully if it don't rain tomorrow they can finish it, I could finish my part too, but I think I'm gonna be called in to work Saturday.

1 1/2" is the widest that tractor supply had, and I don't have time to order or wait on stuff to come, so I hope this is going to be good enough.
http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/39258/2893064130048868759S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/38731/2865382940048868759S425x425Q85.jpg

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Paddock is finished as of yesterday !!
Mare is at day 329 today, Here is a picture of all of them in the new pasture, I am going to seperate them tomorrow, after Mira has had 2 days of checking out the new area with her men with her.
http://inlinethumb01.webshots.com/35136/2615082660048868759S425x425Q85.jpg

The geldings will be down by the creek and my mare will be in the area up on the hill by the house.
http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/14986/2502351440048868759S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/21257/2365053780048868759S425x425Q85.jpg

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks great! I bet you have some happy horses :-)

Cjskip
Weanling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo, where do you get the plastic caps for the T-Posts? Thanks.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get them at any feed store that sells the t-posts and hot wire :-)

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well any question you ask me of were I bought it the answer will always be, Tractor Supply, Feed store or Wal-marts !

I got all my supplies at the TC but had to go to 2 different ones as I bought out my local one and had to go to the next town, they NEVER have all of what I need,it makes me so mad.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US