SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How do you work a centrifuge?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » How do you work a centrifuge? « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I did something really dumb, I bought a centrifuge to separate plasma from fresh blood and I don't know how to use it.

Can someone explain the process to me? I'm not sure if you put the vial in the metal tube or pour the blood in the metal tube. How do you balance it?

Also, how long do you centrifuge the blood to get the plasma?

If someone could explain the process to me, I would be very much indebted to them forever! :-)

Thank you very much for any help!!!!
Marilyn

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You put the tube of blood in the metal tube. Use another empty tube and put water in it and put it opposite of the blood to balance it, spin for 10 minutes and voila! You will have plasma

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you take the top off the tube of blood? How do you take the tube out of the centrifuge without mixing the blood and plasma? Because we tried to work the thing yesterday and tried to take the tube out of the centrifuge. It was kinda stuck because the top was on and it got mixed up. After 10 minutes it didn't seem to separate, but it probably was due to Mike trying to shake it out of the metal tube. lol

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought of another question. How much water do you add to the other tube? Do you have to weigh the blood tube and weigh the water tube to get the same weight, or can you put the same amount of water in the opposite tube as the blood?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 857
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always used a "tiger top" tube that has a plasma seperator at the bottom so after spinning it moves up and stays between the plasma and the blood. You don't have to use this type of tube but just be careful removing the tube from the centrifuge (and yes, leave the top on or you will have blood spattered everywhere! :-) ) You are probably using too small of tubes, the top of the tube should be just over the metal part so you can grab the top and just pull out.

With the water I just put the same amount in as the tube of blood.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Tracy, you are a sweetheart!!!! I'm indebted to you forever. :-)

I didn't know they came in different sizes. I think I've got it. Thank you again!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 858
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US