SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

QUESTION- posts about the free breeding to a warmblood

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » QUESTION- posts about the free breeding to a warmblood « Previous Next »

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 854
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I saved it but I guess I didnt so would the person who posted the link to the stallion that was standing for free due to an injury plz repost it. He was beautiful
sorry I dont remember who it was that posted it.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 856
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind I finally found him. thnx

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 784
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was me. He's a gorgeous stallion isn't he? I'm seriously thinking of breeding him to one or two of my mares this spring. Are you thinking of using him?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a filly I bought for my daughter than I'm trying to hardship into the appendix association and if hes still available when shes old enough I just might. She cleared 4ft or better flat footed when I brought her home in very bad shape at 4-6 months old. If I get any TB mares I'll definately give hm a shot. I spent forever looking through his foal gallery.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 788
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He really does produce some gorgeous foals out of all types of mares. That's a mark of a good stallion :-) I'll let you know if I end up doing it.

Sarah Meacham
Weanling
Username: Ropeburns

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you looked at Mannhattan, 1991 Oldenburg stallion? He's got a breeding fee of $350.00 AND is fully licensed and approved with several warmblood registries. So a better deal than the Trakhner stallion as your foals will be eligible for registration and branding. Go to http://www.avalon-equine.com . There's also a video of him on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhlQXJ86UY

He's also owned by Jos Mottershead and Kathy St.Martin - they own the equine-reproduction.com website and answer a LOT of the questions here and on the Yahoo list. I'm booking a mare to him and I kinda look at it that its kinda nice to support two people who offer so much free help. Plus the stallion is SPECTACULAR!!!! I also figure that the semen should be pretty darn good as if anyone can ship out decent semen, they should be able to <grin>.

Just a thought!

Sarah Meacham

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 790
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He does look very nice but it said only foals out of approved mares could be eligible for inspection and branding. The other thing at least for me, I'm not a fan of Oldenberg/Arabian crosses. I think the Trakhner crosses better with Arabs since they already have a lot of Arabs in their bloodlines. I do agree that he seems like a very nice stallion though :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 866
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He he pretty but Im not seriously shopping for a stallion right now. It will be a bit before Beauty is old enough to breed and I wouldnt pay the full price breeding fee for her first foal.

Sarah Meacham
Weanling
Username: Ropeburns

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<lol> He had the Grand Champion high scoring Arabian Sporthorse at Scottsdale a couple years ago it says on the website, so I suspect the proof is in the puddin'. Personally, I don't like Traks crossed Arabs as I want more bone, not less. I also want a quieter temperament and sometimes Traks aren't the best cross for that either. Just a thought and just my opinion .

Oldenburg, btw, be it GOV or Oldenburg N.A. will both accept Arabian mares into their main mare books upon inspection and if they are of appropriate type. These days I want papers on anything I'm breeding. There's just too many unregistered horses out there and at least if it has papers, there's hope that it will have a job if it gets injured (at least if it's a mare).

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is personal opinion, I don't like Oldenberg/Arabian crosses usually, not that one can't come out nice. I breed Arabians so I like the smaller boned WB's, hence the Trakhner. Again, nothing against this other stallion, just not my cup of tea. If I breed my Arab mare to the Trakhner stallion it will be registered half Arab which is fine for me since I do SportHorse and there are classes in all Class A shows for 1/2 Arabs. The horse you were talking about that won at Scottsdale a couple of years ago it only mattered that it was registered 1/2 Arab for that type of show. Obviously you are a big fan of Mannhattan which is wonderful, just not for me. :-)

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 966
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really curious why someone would offer free breeding except for collection fee. What's in it for the stallion owner?

I always heard if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't a good deal. I was just wondering about this as I'm reading this thread. Would someone help me understand. Who knows I may be interested for future breeding. Thanks all!
Marilyn

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: my guess would be to get some babies on the ground for him, since he really didn't get a chance to compete and prove himself, they may be hoping his offspring will do something and make him valuable as a stallion for future...they figure they have to start somewhere. The stallion I used for Sweetie, the stud fee was reduced alot because he is young and just starting his career, and she wanted to see what he would produce as well...just a thought...Kim

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~I have a friend who has a really nice Arab stallion who she just started to show and to a couple of really nice mares she did free breedings to 3 experienced mares for a couple of reasons: to get some babies for his "resume"; and see what he would throw; and to get him some experience; She bred two Arab mares and one quarter mare got 3 filly's all little stamps of himself, so the following year she put a stud fee on him and had pictures of his yearlings for interested parties to see...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I cannot offer explanations as to why others are doing what they are doing, I am more than happy to explain our philosophy behind offering our stallions at the $350 stud fee:
  • We want to support US breeders, and encourage them to use a US "product";
  • We want to offer US breeders some of the same bloodlines as are available in Europe, but with a live-foal guarantee (which is typically not available with the European "cheap" stud fees);
  • We want to offer US breeders the option of breeding to licensed stallions at a price competitive with European frozen semen prices.
I hope this helps clarify our position, if nobody else's! :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, I do like your stallion by the way :-) I just don't think he would be a good cross with my mares, that's all.

Marilyn, Kim pretty much said what is going on but if you want to read the exact story on this stallion I'm talking about go to www.freebreeding.com You can also see all his foals that he has produced.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 967
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I get it. Thanks for clairifying this for me. I just couldn't understand what was in it for the stallion owner. That's a great way to get the stallions name out there and to support the US breeders.

Thanks all!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 02:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note that we are offering more than one stallion! :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni, you are probably most interested about this but I was informed yesterday that Fuertanzer was put down over the weekend due to severe colic. I was very upset to hear this as I was planning on breeding my mare in May to him :-( So I just wanted to pass this on.

Samantha
Weanling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was so devasted when I heard about Fueurtanzer being euthinized :S

Such a shame.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, it's very sad :-( Gorgeous horse and was producing some amazing foals. I did hear thru the grapevine (my vet actually) that some Trakhner breeders were very upset with the whole free breeding thing because they couldn't compete. They had to keep lowering their stud fees and weren't making any money. I'm sure they're not happy that he died but it did solve their problem if you know what I mean. Very sad though.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US