SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Results of the nail and string test.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » Results of the nail and string test. « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 892
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for fun, it might be fun to give the results of the nail test on the thread and then we can see how accurate the nail is.

We could make it short and sweet like the other thread (I can't remember what thread it was) so that way it would be easy to look back.

This is how it's done.
You get a nail that can be magnetized. Then tie the nail to a piece of her tail hair. You don't have to use her tail hair, I use dental floss. Use something that's very light.

I hold the nail between my thumb and forefinger and then hang it over my middle finger so that I won't manuver the nail myself.

Next you hold the nail over her back about an inch or so above the spot where her baby would be. I hold it about the middle of her butt. You can tell if it's the right spot because you'll feel it sort of magnetize and start moving. If it doesn't move in about a minute or so, move it slightly, try and keep it in the middle of both sides of her back.

If it swings in a circle, it's a filly. If it swings from her head to her tail, it's a colt. If it swings from her left to her right side, she's not pregnant.

I also heard that if she's not pregnant, and you do the nail test and it moves like she is pregnant, then it means she has fluid in her uterius. Sounds crazy, but it ended up that Marq did have fluid. Weird...

Opps, for to say, don't touch the mare when your doing it, it demagnetizes the nail, I'm told.

(Message edited by marilyn_l on January 28, 2008)

(Message edited by marilyn_l on January 28, 2008)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dora is very much filly.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 297
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me again how to do it?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 894
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleen, I edited the first message and it now shows how to do it. I'm sorry, I forgot to explain the procedure.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 680
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tali says filly :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 816
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nugget says Colt

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fiona says Filly
Dorian says Filly
Cassie is too tall....couldn't get the string up there, LOL! She's 17.3 hh
Snowflake says colt
Couldn't get a reading on Mystery. Do they have to be pretty far along? She's due in May.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 899
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll be very interesting to see what Fiona delivers. I'm glad we won't be waiting long. :-)

Ivy Rittenhouse
Weanling
Username: Appalotranch

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is always fun; I have two mares due.
Bright Eyes Bobbye, ApHC, colt (will be her 7th colt - no fillies).

IO Cloudy Irish Heart, ApHC, filly.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Ivy, Are you new here? When are your mares due. Would love to see pics

Ivy Rittenhouse
Weanling
Username: Appalotranch

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Charlene,
No, I am not new; I visit this forum almost everyday, for the last 5+ years, I mostly lurk and will occasionally post.

Bright Eyes Bobbye is due, first, sometime mid April. I would love to have a filly from this mare, but alas the nail says colt again.

IO Cloudy Irish Heart is due Mid May, and I am hoping she has a black and white filly.

I don't have any recent pictures of either one of my mares. Last season, I posted some pictures of Bobbye because she got HUGE, she actually scared me looking at her, and had bagged early that we thought she might be carrying twins. She only had one colt, day 328, he came into the world looking like he was two months old. By the time he was 2.5 months old he looked like a rising yearling. She is shapping up big, again, so I am wondering if she'll have another huge colt...but only U/S one. If I come across any pictures I'll post them. -Ivy

Rebecca Kate Smith, Skeetles due 2/29
Weanling
Username: Beccasmith

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FILLY!!!!!!

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Iana it says filly. I did it and then I made my 5 year old do it too. Both times it circled!!!!! I *HOPE* it's right!!!!!!!!

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ivy, I add you to the list of prego mares for 2008.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel a filly year coming on! :-)

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan,
I do hope so!!!!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 919
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too, I hope so too!!!!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 699
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so too! We've had a lot of colts born already so it's time for the fillies to make an apperance

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US