SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

I Have A Question???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Miscellaneous and Suggestions for a New Topic Category » I Have A Question??? « Previous Next »

melanie
Yearling
Username: Melanie16

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, i was wondering how to tell if a horse is lame?? when my horse got her injury to her back leg she limped when she walked and now she doesnt... and she has a very awkward trot but when she gallops nothing looks wrong...i was just wondering if she was lame or is she healing and will be rideable in the next few months??

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 669
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie, if she still has an awkward trot or a limp to her trot she's still lame. You really can't tell by a gallop, they hide it very well. :-)

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess the easy way to tell is if their gate is off or uneven. Hard to explain, I myself can spot a lame horse a mile away!

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah that is what i thought but can a horse over come lameness... because i have been told by several people and they say she should be rideable...but im not sure if a horse can overcome this kind of lameness...but she is improving because her trot isnt as off as it was about 2 weeks ago and she has been galloping around alot lately and playing.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 803
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melanie it is a wait and see game. depending on injury a horse can be lame for a day or two a couple of months or permantly. Since none of us can see the injury we really cant tell you. My advice is to stay off her until 2wks after she is completely sound. A trot is the easiest gate to see lameness in. Then start light riding 20-30 min walk light trot. after riding observe her to see if she is off if still sound increase the length of time you ride next time.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone and thanks for all of the advice...im just hopeing and praying that she will recover all of the way...the vet said she should be rideable in time but im starting to question that....is there any exercises i can do with her to help her leg get stronger...like taking her for a 30 minute walk just leading her around?? i have some pictures of her legs...the first one is the hurt leg and the other picture of the other leg that isnt hurt..can you see a difference??

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/Melanie016L/melissascam132.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/Melanie016L/melissascam133.jpg[/IMG]

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 808
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes there is a HUGE difference she is NOT ridable. My advice is water even in the cold weather soak it in a bucket of epson salt, run the garden hose on it or stand her in a creek (about 20 min at a time). You may also try a support wrap but you must watch it carefully because of swelling.

melanie
Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh so you think she will never be rideable ever again?? we have been hoseing her leg down twice a day for 15 minutes and she has had penniclin and anitboitcis for it and i just doesnt seem to go down anymore....i will take her to the creak today and keep her in it for a while...i will have to go and get some epson salt today...aslo i seen this bandage that you can put on a swollen leg and it takes the swelling out but i was afraid to use it since it was at a feed store and dad said he wouldnt trust it. i have done everything the vet told me to do and she is walking alot better but that part that is sticking out wont go down it seems like. do you think i should take a needle to the pocket and see if there is any infection in it??

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 811
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO I DONT MEAN EVER AGAIN JUST NOT RIGHT NOW. SRRY. I MIGHT TAKE A NEEDLE TO IT IF YOUR CAREFUL IT CANT HURT TO DO SO. I HOP SHE RECOVERS FULLY IF ITS JUST INFECTION I'M SURE SHE WILL BE SOUND IN NO TIME.

Melissa Schalk
Weanling
Username: Cedarhillfarm

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This question should be for your vet and not a message board.

melanie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jenni and thanks for the advice...i went out yesterday and i stuck the needle in her leg and she acted like nothing ever happened back there but when i tried to pull something out all i got was air???? and then when i pulled the needle out it bleed for about a minute and stopped so i dont know whats going on...do you know what that could mean??

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 822
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have you talked to your vet about it again? If there isnt an infection then there is some sort of tissue damage wether it be tendons, cartlidge or what I CANT say. Keep with cold water but maybe talk to your vet about an x-ray or at least get him to come check on her personally. If you haul her in it should be cheaper if money is the issue.
When you put your hands on it is it warmer than the rest of her? also how long ago was the injury?

melanie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no i havent talked to the vet recently and we have moved out of state and the nearest vet is about 4 hours away! i have tried to get her in the creek but she doesnt want to go in and it feels like she trys to pull my arm out of the socket! she was injured about 4 months ago and when it first happened she could hardly walk at all and we had the vet come out and examine it and he told my mother that she nicked the ligament in her back leg but she should recover and be rideable in time but he said it could take about 5 to 12 months untill she is fully recovered.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 825
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that makes sence yes it will take a long time b4 that heals fully. Cold water is still very good for it. I would also use a support wrap of some kind even just a plain ole ace bandage will work. Given proper rest time I'm sure she'll be ridable again.

melanie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah everyone i have talked to said she would be rideable including the vet lol i guess i just miss riding her so much i just want it to heal quicker! i have asked my father if i could get another horse why she heals but he tells me to get rid of my horse if i want another one but after how much i have been through with her i just cant get rid of her and plus she a excellent riding horse....maybe he will change his mind and let me get one untill she is fully recovered! i have already found a horse i want lol its a 13 year old dun mare lol and she has four white socks! she is gorgeous but needs an experienced rider but hopefully i could mellow her out some and get her to trust me :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 826
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck! I understand what its like to want to ride and not be able to. makes you nutty.

melanie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah it does kind of drive you crazy! and especially when you have to just stand there and watch all of your friends riding there horses and you cant ride lol and its no fun riding double cause its not the same when riding on your own horse....but i wont ask today cause hes not in a very good mood today so i will just have to ask him tomorrow if hes in a better mood! heres a picture of the horse i am wanting to get

[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q267/Melanie016L/GetAttachment.jpg[/IMG]

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 827
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she is a very pretty girl i dont blame youfor wanting her. but do your mare a favor and dont sell her until she is healed its doubtful she'll find a good home if sold before she's healed.

melanie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh i would never sell my horse she has a home with me till she dies of old age. it would be nice to have a horse on the side if something like this happens again and so i do have another horse to ride or if i have a friend that comes over and wants to go trail riding. i would never sell my horse she is too good to just get rid of for a horse that wont be as good as her :-) the mare i want turn a red color and then turns that dun color in the spring and in the summer. i hope i can get her! :-)

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you can find a horse to lease for six months or so? Or possible see if anyone around you needs their horses exercised. I wish you lived near me, I have some horses that need to be ridden!

melanie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah i was thinking about that.. well i wish i did cause i would love to! lol i cant stand it when i just have to watch someone else ride a horse and i can ride with them lol

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US